Those Wacky Germans (SS Chicken Nip)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Tender, Juicy Obama Fingers Hit the ShelvesBy Charles HawleyA German frozen food company hopes to raise sales with a new product: Obama fingers. The tender, fried chicken bits come with a tasty curry sauce. The company says it was unaware of the possible racist overtones of the product.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Please explain the racist overtones.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    There is an age-old stereotype in America that all Black people love fried chicken. I mean, pretty much everyone loves fried chicken, but in this instance, it's meant in a perjorative sense.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

u cant be serious

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    There is an age-old stereotype in America that all Black people love fried chicken. I mean, pretty much everyone loves fried chicken, but in this instance, it's meant in a perjorative sense.

This prejudice is not very known over here in Germany. I'm sure, the company just wanted to use Obama in a cool way to have an "American style" product. Hell, we even eat Pizza "Boston Style" over here.

The Mint/Curry thang has me perplexed though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Who can produced that German Hip Hop graphic?

"we F*ck everything"?

Chicken: the world's favourite poultry
    Curry: the world's favourite sauce (ok, this is debatable)
    Obama: the world's favourite politician

Product ticks all the marketing boxes

I might cop some Chicken for lunch.

I was watchin Paula Deen recently and she was cookin w/ Michelle Obama.

Apparently Barry makes a mean batch of Chicken Wings.

u cant be serious

I'm serious.

Only poor fucks eat that stuff here. Certainly isn't stereotypically black.
    In fact, more likely to be pasty faced feral white kids with white shell suits and baseball caps at an insouciant angle. Chavs, they're called.

• Please explain the racist overtones.

u cant be serious

I'm serious.

In fact, more likely to be pasty faced feral white kids with white shell suits and baseball caps at an insouciant angle. Chavs, they're called.

u cant be serious

I'm serious.

Regardless of the people its aimed towards, there's a suspect connection that was made.

Its like those Cookies dude was making here in NYC.

Im surprised that someone who listens to hours of Black Music never came across this "stereotype."

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

This prejudice is not very known over here in Germany. I'm sure, the company just wanted to use Obama in a cool way to have an "American style" product.

A local car wash changed it's name to Obama in the aftermath of the election. It's run by a bloke with Bangladeshi heritage if that makes a difference.

I'm aware of the stereotype.

Not sure if anyone in the world has Obama pegged as that stereotypical dude, though.

Even the Germans.

Anyways, has the usual stereotyping and general xenophobia shifted from gay Paree to Berlin and Bonn?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Anyways, has the usual stereotyping and general xenophobia shifted from gay Paree to Berlin and Bonn?

Xenophobia is probably the wrong word. I don't think anyone's afraid of the French.

Im surprised that someone who listens to hours of Black Music never came across this "stereotype."

he doesn't. he only listens to British TV themes for days...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

Black people love the Golden Gate Bridge.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    But not the racist overtones.

Not sure if anyone in the world has Obama pegged as that stereotypical dude, though.

What are u sayin?

So Obama's win says NOTHIN AT ALL about Racial Progress? Nothing?

He's Not Really Black? He's not like those other Negroes? That's not really him playin' basketball?

Since he's the President, he's not really Black/African/Whatever.....?

Hilary Clinton Fish Sticks?

"Say you love Crepe!"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yeah, the only reason I heard of the black people/fried chicken thing is because of Kam's "Neva Again" album. To this day, when I drive by KFC I look to see if there are any black people up in the spot. Shit is always empty, though. I guess you have to be from America to know about this schitt. There is one night a week where KFC near me has crazy deals & poor people line up there to eat, but I still don't really see Black people there.

I feel lied to by Kam & Rap music.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

u cant be serious

I'm serious.

Regardless of the people its aimed towards, there's a suspect connection that was made.

Its like those Cookies dude was making here in NYC.

It's a safe bet that neither any of the people who designed this product nor the idiots who buy and eat this crap have ever heard of the racist implications that fried chicken products have here in the US.

Regardless of that, this of course is extremely tasteless on various levels.

Can a president trademark his name?

Shredded and molded chicken-byproducts... disgusting!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Black people love the Golden Gate Bridge.

Haha, that was the part that messed me up. Like "What the fusk is that doing there?"

I understand Obama is an international icon, but why would you want to eat something with his name on it? Especially a body part. "Ooh, I'm eating Obama's fingers! Mmmm-mmm!"

I love me some Scarlett Johansson, but I would not be lining up to eat ScarJo Toes.

Jean Girard: Soon you will know what it is like to be beaten by the hands of somebody who is truly better than you. As William Blake wrote "The catworm forgives the plow".
    Ricky Bobby: Well I got something for you from the late great Colonel Sanders who said "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

Now Say "I LOVE CREPE" or I braek your arm!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Can a president trademark his name?

I don't know about trademarking the name, but throughout the States companies that have put in the Obama name into their products were given cease and desist letters, and some were raided by the secret service. I know for sure they put a stop to Sixpoint's Hop-Obama beer, and Ommegang had to put a stop to its Obamagang beer. Had something to do with a federal law banning the use of the President's name in products, or something like that.

But not the racist overtones.

Ricky Bobby: Nobody plays jazz at the Pit Stop!
    Jean Girard: Then why is the song on the jukebox?
    Bartender: We use it for profiling purposes. We also have the Pet Shop Boys and Seal.

It's just a really thin pancake!

noones into Boston Style Pizza? C'mon...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Boston style pizza isn't that crazy. Isn't there a resturant chain called "Boston Pizza"?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My mom-in-law made fried curry chicken, (or curry-fried-chicken I guess) this weekend and it was really good. But it wasn't dipped, It was cooked with the sauce on it. Highly recomended.

There's a joke waiting to be made here somewhere about Obama+Stimulous+Package.