1nce again: MAC vs PC. *Ding ding!*

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Get a PC netbook, install OSX via bootlegged installs, then install Unbuntu via Wubi.

Have the best of all worlds.

+-$500 son, +-$500.

Nobody is DJing with a netbook... Well, not seriously for now anyways.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    ....since most has been said.

I'm a mac fanboy to the fullest but I'm thinking about taking a few courses in 3d animation and video game creation. Just for kicks. Thing is, they use windows and I don't know shit about it. I loaded an old version of XP on my macbook a few years ago to play GTA but i got rid of that a long time ago.

My question is, did they ever solve the Vista problems and if so is that recommended for a MacBook? If not what's best. Also, how's stealing it off the internet? I payed for my Adobe apps but i have no problem jacking this.

Thanks for tolerating thread jack.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    learning to use a Mac is like the opposite of learning you basically have to dumb down your computer know-how because everything is so straight forward.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Speaking of which, how does mp3 DLing on a Mac differ from a PC?

The DLing process is pretty much the same. / find file > click dowload.

Once you have it on your computer depending on whether you use Itunes to sort/file your mp3s is what will make the difference I guess. (if you already use Itunes then what I've written below is probably irrelevant, but I didn't)

-

When using my WinPC I always DLed into a partitioned section of my harddrive, where I could check for viruses, before opening the rar or playing the mp3. I would then drag the file into the folder I would store it in, D:MP3s > HIPHOP > ELECTRO 12"

The Mac DL'ds to the 'download' folder. Where, if it's an mp3, Itunes will automatically play it. But before that, it will make a copy of the file in its 'Itunes music' folder, which is sorted by Artist. So now you have two versions of the file on your harddrive.
    If you're DLing a lp, you 'unrar the rar' (the unRar process can sometimes be different but nothing really troubling.) Then, I think, you either play each file so Itunes copies them all, or 'Add folder' in Itunes. But I may be doing this wrong?

Basically you have to let Itunes, store and sort, all your music files, rather than doing it manually as I was on the PC. - So if you then want to listen to only your "electro 12s" you have to hope they're all tag as such and Itunes can sort them for you.

The idea of finally getting around to moving my 70 odd gig of mp3s from my PC, to a networked drive, then making Itunes sort through them all, is more than a bit daunting, and probably the hardest part of the 'switch' so far.

Any advice of how I'm doingitwrong or the best way to sort/store mp3s on a Mac would be appreciated.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The Mac DL'ds to the 'download' folder. Where, if it's an mp3, Itunes will automatically play it. But before that, it will make a copy of the file in its 'Itunes music' folder, which is sorted by Artist. So now you have two versions of the file on your harddrive.
    If you're DLing a lp, you 'unrar the rar' (the unRar process can sometimes be different but nothing really troubling.) Then, I think, you either play each file so Itunes copies them all, or 'Add folder' in Itunes. But I may be doing this wrong?

Basically you have to let Itunes, store and sort, all your music files, rather than doing it manually as I was on the PC. - So if you then want to listen to only your "electro 12s" you have to hope they're all tag as such and Itunes can sort them for you.

You don't have to let Itunes organize your mp3s or have your them automatically copied to the Itunes Music folder when you play them - it's just the default setting. You can go to Preferences -> Advanced and uncheck the "Keep itunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to Itunes Music folder when adding to library" boxes if you want.

I like having Itunes keep house for me. Prevents having mp3s scattered in random locations on your hard drive plus it makes your music folder nice and tidy. And keeping your files properly tagged at all times is key no matter what program you use.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Speaking of which, how does mp3 DLing on a Mac differ from a PC?

We are not the same, I am a martian

Wget + Automator =

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Macs are boutique. I appreciate the design. That aluminum Macbook is so hott.

I needed a laptop about 8 months ago and was about to pull the trigger on the Macbook. My needs are pretty basic and I was looking at the Sony as well. It came down to $1400 vs $600. I really could not justify the difference. I also know what I'm doing. How to avoid problems etc.

Seems like Macs are perfect for novice users or GOMLs. Also rich people get them as part of their look (i.e, $1000 frying pans).

I needed a laptop about 8 months ago and was about to pull the trigger on the Macbook. My needs are pretty basic and I was looking at the Sony as well. It came down to $1400 vs $600. I really could not justify the difference. I also know what I'm doing. How to avoid problems etc.

Seems like Macs are perfect for novice users or GOMLs. Also rich people get them as part of their look (i.e, $1000 frying pans).

$1400 for a macbook? With applecare, a free ipod touch and printer? Why so much?

What model Sony?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I've never had a virus problem on my PC. But I've had endless problems with harddrives, power units, memory sticks, cooling fans, ect.. I've spent way to much time having to fix problems, update drivers, install 3rd party software, instead of being able to get on with what I should be working on.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

I've never had a virus problem on my PC. But I've had endless problems with harddrives, power units, memory sticks, cooling fans, ect.. I've spent way to much time having to fix problems, update drivers, install 3rd party software, instead of being able to get on with what I should be working on.

Perfectly sums up my experience with PCs, except I also had to deal with viruses.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Mac DL'ds to the 'download' folder...But I may be doing this wrong?

You don't have to let Itunes organize your mp3s or have your them automatically copied to the Itunes Music folder when you play them - it's just the default setting. You can go to Preferences -> Advanced and uncheck the "Keep itunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to Itunes Music folder when adding to library" boxes if you want.

I like having Itunes keep house for me. Prevents having mp3s scattered in random locations on your hard drive plus it makes your music folder nice and tidy. And keeping your files properly tagged at all times is key no matter what program you use.

Thanks m.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

$1400 for a macbook? With applecare, a free ipod touch and printer? Why so much?

What model Sony?

Sony Vaio with 4 GB ram. Don't remember the model. I keep everything on external hard drives. I used a program called Decrapifier when I first got it. Basically takes off everything but basic Vista. I use Google chrome, MS media player and Office 2003. Nothing else.

I also buy the super insurance for 2 years and after about 20 months throw it down the stairs and get whatever's new. I look at these things as temporary. Whatever the F*ck you get will be outdated in two years. So why pay double unless you have some of the experiences mentioned above? I agree there are definitely some PC brands out there that really suck. Check consumer reports.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    [color:blue]
    Should I go with this for $900:

Toshiba Satellite E105-S1402
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64-bit); 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400; 4,096MB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz; Mobile Intel 4500MHD; 320GB Toshiba 5,400rpm

2 YEAR WARRANTY

or this for twice the amount:

Apple MacBook Pro MB470LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Slot Loading SuperDrive)

NOT SURE HOW WARRANTIES WORK ON MACBOOKS (anybody?)

And most importantly...WHY?
    [/color]

If you have the money to burn go for the macbook pro, because a couple of the parts are higher quality than in the Toshiba. It will make you look intelligent in front of starbucks, and it will make women like you more. If you don't have the money the Toshiba can do the same shit as the Mac, and will be about the same speed. 2 year parts warranty is a good deal from Toshiba.

Laptops only last about 4-5 years before they become kind of worthless/outdated. If you buy a cheaply made laptop you won't even get that much life out of it. Resell on laptops even macs, isn't generally that high especially in 2009.

Apple builds good quality, great looking laptops, they hardware wise are the same shit as PC's. Apple has only used high quality parts in there laptops and that's why they are so expensive. You just usually end up paying an extra 400 dollars or so above cost, because of the brand name.

Just make sure you get some kind of Applecare or extended warranty on parts for any Laptop you purchase. It's well worth it, because laptops can and will break in all weird unexpected ways headphone jacks go bad, hinges go bad Pixels get burnt on screens, hard drives die, motherboards fail.

Since Macs have become SO popular, as a result of more users and more pirated software, there has been a marked increase in MacViruses. So maybe they're not so safe anymore..
    [/color]

Macs have always had viruses available, they're just not as widely spread or known about, because Mac has always had less users. Apple even reccomends people to use an Antivirus now.

Lastly, my only real experience owning Apple is an ipod touch I received as a gift, and I've found the experience of buying peripherals frustrating. Yes the ipod works on the tv, but the cable costs 50 bucks because you have to buy it name brand. I'm pretty techy, so for me, being able to go on newegg, and cop all kinds of cheap generic accessories is great. Even getting a second power supply for work was only 60 bucks. I have a hard drive tray that cost 45 bucks, pops in where the CD drive goes, and holds the drive with my whole serato library. My guess is these would be much more, or impossible with an apple laptop.
    [/color]

Mac parts are overpriced, and non applecare service is expensive. Most techs don't even really know how to work on Macs.

My question is, did they ever solve the Vista problems and if so is that recommended for a MacBook? If not what's best. Also, how's stealing it off the internet? I payed for my Adobe apps but i have no problem jacking this.
    [/color]

Vista doesn't really have that many problems as people say. People are just f*cking dumb. They don't actually know what they're doing and they complain about anything new.

Only problem with Vista is it's a little resource heavy if you have all the GUI stuff on. That's all fixed in Windows 7. That's what I'm using right now.

[/color]

Hey MOke, What brand of PC do you have?

I work and repair on laptops professionally. I'm apple certified, and will hopefully soon become a MAC GENIUS(gay, i know but i got bills dudes). Many people on here know that I'm an avid Apple hater, but I just wanted to add my thoughts on the subject.

Just FYI:

I rock a custom built laptop that I made

Compal Chassis
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300GS
    4GB DDR2 memory
    320GB HDD
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9400
    Windows 7/Ubuntu

Total cost me about $800 plus I got it at my last job so it comes with a 2 year parts warranty and lifetime service warranty.

- spidey

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Apple even reccomends people to use an Antivirus now.

you're wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7760344.stm

Does this mean there'll never be any viruses on a mac. Of course not. Does this mean for the average person they'll encounter next to zero viruses on a mac compared to a pc currently, very likely.

The track record of os x vs xp/vista speaks for itself. That could obviously change in the future, but for now.....

I don't care what people use, as long as it suits their needs. Heck, buy a netbook and run os x/ubuntu/etc/etc...., that'll save you lots of cash.

Point being, I don't hate pc's, I don't hate macs. I find it really stupid to hate on an operating system/computer maker. Whatever works for you works.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Choose the Macbook. It changed my life.

Yessum.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    How do you pro-Mac'ers feel about refurbs?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Refurbs come highly recommended although I haven't bought one in a while. Cosmetically, you'll be thinking you bought a new one. The one thing of concern would be is if that specific model you are buying had a problem that was common throughout that line. Another thing is, if it was an intermitent problem that the refurb was sent in for, it's possible that you get a unit that has the same problem but they just weren't able to reproduce it when it was sent back. I would generally feel confident with an Apple refurb given their quality control record in that regard but if you're doing any time sensitive work on the computer where you cannot afford downtime, I would say don't risk it son. Otherwise, if you don't mind a possible trip to the Apple store, refurbs are pretty good.

Edit: If you know anyone enrolled in a local university, I would check to see if they can buy something either at the Apple store or at their campus using their educational discount. Apple axed their discount pretty big recently but you might still be able to find dealz. My campus has pretty decent discounts on old stock:

MacBook White 13" MB881LL/A.....$899 - Only 24 Left!
    MacBook Black 13" MB404LL/A.....$999 - Only 19 Left!

MacBook Air 13" 1.6GHz MB003LL/A.....$1349 - Only 4 Left!
    MacBook Air 13" 1.8GHz Z0FS0LL/A.....$1999- Only 5 Left!

MacBook Pro 15" MB134LL/A.....$1349 - Only 17 Left!
    MacBook Pro 17" MB166LL/A.....$1999 - Only 9 Left!
    MacBook Pro 17" MB766LL/A.....$2249 - Only 4 Left!

iMac 20" 2.4GHz MB323LL/A..... $849 - Only 11 Left!
    iMac 24" 2.8GHz MB325LL/A.....$1199 - Only 2 Left!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My campus has pretty decent discounts on old stock:

Brian, how did you find this? Is there a place on my local university's website or something? I have lots of student friends.

Also, I can't seem to find a Pro with an illuminated keyboard. Is this the case for all of 'em?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That was on my campus' bookstore website. Regarding illuminated keyboards, as far as I know, all of the Macbook Pros should have them.

If you want a student discount, just go to the Apple store and tell the salesperson you're a student. I got $100 off and Applecare for $89

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Get a MacBook (no Pro-mo)

If anyone was thinking about getting the white one...

Jump on it.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0305909

http://i.gizmodo.com/5190254/200-off-macbook-white