playin the ebay game right

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbobdjukicthese dudes with their sealed records!!kinda crazyi like how they say the weldon irvine might be "the last sealed copy in the world"spill over effect to their other auctions too....marvin gaye whats going on for $65!!i guess dudes are a big operation. that nyc rent is def gonna get paid this month!!

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Their inflated prices have fucked up my Popsike game many a times

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sealed vintage OG brings out the big $$$.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The big dogs like Bob D. get the kind of money only they can.
    I could be selling the exact same records and I'd be lucky to get 1/2 what they get.
    That's the way of the world.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    how do dealers of that calibre aquire so much sealed raer?

• how do dealers of that calibre aquire so much sealed raer?
    The fact that they're sealed makes them raer.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Speaking of sealed raers I spotted this today. Made me laugh pretty hard. Only $1500!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TMNT-Turtles-in-Time...%3A1|240%3A1318

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

yes, you're right.

But it doesn't answer my question, i'm not familiar with the dealer side of things, how are sealed copies usually sourced? Where is one likely to come across them?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    More importantly, how many dealers reseal shit and say its OG sealed? Is that a common thing? Has anyone been caught out?

I been to a few stores here that have obviously resealed shit, cuase the covers are faded etc. I personally dont like buying selaed shit cus you cant sus out the record before you buy it...

• A sealed record can be faded because it's been exposed to sunlight. Doesn't mean it's been resealed necessarily.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

yes, you're right.

But it doesn't answer my question, i'm not familiar with the dealer side of things, how are sealed copies usually sourced? Where is one likely to come across them?

Where you ask? I'll tell you. From the Vinyl Costco.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The truly awesome thing is watching all the Djukic wannabes that have popped up in the last few years. Dudes with 3 feedbacks trying get their Djuke on with ***THE NICEST COPY OF FLEETWOOD MAC RUMORS EVER OFFERED IN THE HISTORY OF EBAY***.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    dude needs to step up his auction layout game

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Utopia records used to do this. They had a small 2nd hand section and used to reseal every title and ice grill you if you wanted to listen to anything. I insisted on them opening something i was thinking about buying and the record was totally rinked.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

I've seen large quantities of sealed records at old warehouses/ used to be one stops, collections from old school DJ's who were in record pools, collections from people who worked in or owned record stores... Most of the times dealers who have large quantities of sealed stuff accumlate LP's over a period of time they get leads via running newspaper ads etc in other words you have to be deligent and LUCKY. Just my 2 cents...

• Utopia records used to do this. They had a small 2nd hand section and used to reseal every title and ice grill you if you wanted to listen to anything. I insisted on them opening something i was thinking about buying and the record was totally rinked.
    Terrible look.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I've seen large quantities of sealed records at old warehouses/ used to be one stops, collections from old school DJ's who were in record pools, collections from people who worked in or owned record stores... Most of the times dealers who have large quantities of sealed stuff accumlate LP's over a period of time they get leads via running newspaper ads etc in other words you have to be deligent and LUCKY. Just my 2 cents...

In Bob's case, it's not that complicated. He just buys sealed records or records in shrink when he sees them. Record shops, shows, fleas, etc. Every few months, he does an auction. Simple as that.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    do they do consignment?...my sealed Motown OG on the bay aint doin shit, no watchers, nothin! This dude would probably get a bill for it easy...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't believe what he's getting for unsealed copies of Donny Hathaway albums.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    again, mint marvin gaye.....$70!!!!!!!
    strong game

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    chantels original cover... paul revere long hair.. hes got impressive early rock stuff (that does deserve good $, unlike some of his other stuff).

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Utopia records used to do this. They had a small 2nd hand section and used to reseal every title and ice grill you if you wanted to listen to anything. I insisted on them opening something i was thinking about buying and the record was totally rinked.

Yeah they where fucked, cus they would make them too tight and warp the covers! But they where metal focussed so the only vinyl they respected was those shit ones with the heavy metal band picture discs and those fucked up clocks made out of records....

It was good to grab some funk/soul/jazz heat real cheap for a while, but the supply dwindled. They did come back with the dirt cheap hip hop vinyl for a while....but even then it was weird buying hip hop from a store full of headbangers.

Plus they shafted my mate who went to work for them to run the hip hop section (when they realised there was money in it, but that they had no clue). So since then i aint gone back...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I mean I was kinda waiting to see what a record that is actually somewhat rare, yet appeals to some crust, would do in Djukic's hands...

Now I know.

Just waiting for the onslaught of buy-it-nows...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is pretty wild too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-PET-SOUND...1QQcmdZViewItem

The djude is unstoppable!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    jealousy and pathetic come to mind. who are these clueless a-holes who are buying them? Its been answered many times before, its just kills me to think. Its ebay at its best though.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I believe the Djude hypnotises susceptible bidders with his psychedelic layout... it is a true mindfuck to try to make sense of his auctions.

On the sealed record tip... it really makes no sense to me. Having received scratched, cracked, warped, sealed records in the past, I'm much more comfortable bidding on something opened and listed as clean. I wonder if people buy them and simply put them on ice.

• This is pretty wild too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-PET-SOUND...1QQcmdZViewItem

The djude is unstoppable!

Wow?!?!?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This is funny to me as just this week i've been watching this guy's auctions, then I caught this thread. Which Bob is this? Bob from Boston, Bleeker Bob or a different Bob?

• This is funny to me as just this week i've been watching this guy's auctions, then I caught this thread. Which Bob is this? Bob from Boston, Bleeker Bob or a different Bob?

It's Bob With the Power to Cloud Men's Minds...