Ego Trippin Out- Marvin Gaye

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Was playing this the other day and looked at the pressing date, 1979 on my 45 version.So Im thinking, lyrically the song is very 'rap braggadiccio', and even though he is semi singing, it still sounds like a rime to me, so what do people think, or know, about this tune?Did Marvin make it before (or whilst unaware) of hip hop mc's, or is it his 'reply' to the disco rappers, almost like a "you aint got shit on me,aint nothing new, I can do that shit better" attitude. Cause the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like he's made the song in response to the new rap style that would have been rearing its head by then. Did he feel challenged or inspired by it?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good question.

I think he knew what was out there, in terms of Rap. Marvin in '79 was hangin w/ street cats from across the country. Not sayin he was directly biting, but he had to hear what was happening in the Local Black EXP(specifically NYC Discos).

b/w

Issac Hayes - Good Love '71

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    funny, me and my boy always call this marvin's rap song... batmon's answer seens dead-on; even if it isn't a direct answer to rap music, it is def based out of the baller disco culture of 1979 nyc...

i think like Fatback Band and alot of other old school dudes who kept their ear to the streets (Dj Hollywood opened up for a lot of old school legends and DJed alot of big name harlem parties that the black VIP crowd was hitting up... ), Marvin was both intrigued, bemused, and inspired by this shit... this song is both a piss take and a homage...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Was playing this the other day and looked at the pressing date, 1979 on my 45 version.

So Im thinking, lyrically the song is very 'rap braggadiccio', and even though he is semi singing, it still sounds like a rime to me, so what do people think, or know, about this tune?

Did Marvin make it before (or whilst unaware) of hip hop mc's, or is it his 'reply' to the disco rappers, almost like a "you aint got shit on me,aint nothing new, I can do that shit better" attitude.

Cause the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like he's made the song in response to the new rap style that would have been rearing its head by then. Did he feel challenged or inspired by it?

funny, me and my boy always call this marvin's rap song... batmon's answer seens dead-on; even if it isn't a direct answer to rap music, it is def based out of the baller disco culture of 1979 nyc...

i think like Fatback Band and alot of other old school dudes who kept their ear to the streets (Dj Hollywood opened up for a lot of old school legends and DJed alot of big name harlem parties that the black VIP crowd was hitting up... ), Marvin was both intrigued, bemused, and inspired by this shit... this song is both a piss take and a homage...