Slanging Rap Records

kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
So i was just wondering if anyone still making money off slanging rap records. It seems around here that every man and his dog is dropping hip hop records like they were Kenny g turds.Is 80s random rap still selling ? Seems like even Japan only issues aren't worth as much money anymore. Should i hang on to my rap collection or dump it with the quickness ? Maybe i shouldn't have bought triples of Atmosphere's entire catalog vs

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A few years ago was the time to dump, but you should dump 'em now anyway.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The right titles are still doing fine, but the era when Black Sheep and Souls of Mischief 12"s fetched any kind of money is long over.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    discogs.com, sign up and you can check the price history on records that have sold over the last year or so on that site.
    like fauxrillz said, certain titles are still fetching monies.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The right titles are still doing fine, but the era when Black Sheep and Souls of Mischief 12"s fetched any kind of money is long over.

So true, I do pretty well with quality titles at record shows, but as far as Ebay goes it's pretty grim.
    Unless it's a really rare indie/promo only title forget about it.
    Lp's still do fairly well, 12"'s not so much.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    just sell some mid90ties indie records..still going for money

just sell some mid90ties indie records..still going for money

Not exactly--you can't give most of that stuff away these days.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    He's not talking about Rawkus deadstock gold. You are not familiar with the mid 90's indie market, but stuff like Alps Cru, One Deep, Sparrow, New England Massive, SOP, Thief In Da Nite, Dope and a Gun, Low End, Cover The Child Of Destruction, Son Of Sam, ABU Nation, Camouflage Large Clique, blind Mice, The Scam, Sic Sense, Ba Ba Kids, Henchmen, Legion Of Doom, Annexx Click sold for anything between $200 and $1000.
    If you have anything like that that you can't give away, please PM me before you throw them away !

He's not talking about Rawkus deadstock gold. You are not familiar with the mid 90's indie market, but stuff like Alps Cru, One Deep, Sparrow, New England Massive, SOP, Thief In Da Nite, Dope and a Gun, Low End, Cover The Child Of Destruction, Son Of Sam, ABU Nation, Camouflage Large Clique, blind Mice, The Scam, Sic Sense, Ba Ba Kids, Henchmen, Legion Of Doom, Annexx Click sold for anything between $200 and $1000.
    If you have anything like that that you can't give away, please PM me before you throw them away !
    exactly.. well now after you dropped the price region these records go for i dont think anyone would want to sell them to you for some low price

exactly.. well now after you dropped the price region these records go for i dont think anyone would want to sell them to you for some low price

lol

Okay, dude

I am actually familiar with the market for that junk

But said junk does not = "mid-90s indie rap records" as a whole

It's a tiny subset and it's not representative of the overall market

Happy hunting though

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    blarghhhhhhhhh

oh Slurg just posted his want list

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    exactly.. well now after you dropped the price region these records go for I dont think anyone would want to sell them to you for some low price

I know. By the way, if anybody has any mid 90's FRENCH rap, that's really worthless, but I can help you to get rid of it...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rap records are moving well in the shop. Classic titles, clean condition, fair prices. No more $40 for "Shut Em Down" 12" though.

Rap records are moving well in the shop. Classic titles, clean condition, fair prices. No more $40 for "Shut Em Down" 12" though.

cleanliness is the name of the game. i think (and i'm not a crazy business man) that eventually once people get all their rare fixes out of the way people will begin to upgrade on their scratched copies of more common 12"s...

i know i could use a few

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    or theyll just search for crappier and crappier obscurities

either or my man either or

there are some really dope indies that are tons of money but theyre only tons of money cuz kids with tons of money make it that way....

i like to think i make sense....

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I sell rap records every day in my shop and online. While they may not pull in the type of loot they used to, there are still plenty of people who want them. Of course, this is the bay area where there are still lots of wannabe/bedroom DJ types.

Online, the discogs market tends toward the slightly more obscure, but Japan, Western Europe and Australia are paying my bills with $20-$40 titles.

Ebay has been a disappointment lately. The wild price fluctuations on similar pieces drives me crazy.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

I know. By the way, if anybody has any mid 90's FRENCH rap, that's really worthless, but I can help you to get rid of it...

on the real mane: speak on it!

I got some fronch and UK stuff from the mid 90s...the UK homey visited last summer and was claiming to be tripping: saying I had that shit, when I was like yeah I just bought these when I was into them what you're talking about?

haven't dug too deep, but stuff I thought was just random sideliners was 40 dollar cd's...WHAT GIVES aka make a list now thanks...

ps I got so much horrible grouch & eligh type shit ughhhhhhhhh

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ps I got so much horrible grouch & eligh type shit ughhhhhhhhh

MAKING PERFECT CENTS.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Maybe i shouldn't have bought triples of Def Wish Cast's entire catalog

I heard on the weekend that the Mad as a Hatter EP is selling for up to $500, and their 4 track A.U.S.T TAPE (!) is fetching up to $200....

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Yeah i picked up Mad as a hatter for $10 bucks. Still don't want to sell it. I could happily sell my hilltop hoods records though.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Yeah i picked up Mad as a hatter for $10 bucks. Still don't want to sell it. I could happily sell my hilltop hoods records though.

are people still paying through the roof for HTH vinyls?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I remember when that mid-90s Yeshua and DapoED EP was going for like $50-$100. I just flipped past one in my crates. Can I still sell that for more than shipping?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    exactly.. well now after you dropped the price region these records go for I dont think anyone would want to sell them to you for some low price

interesting.. thanks to this comment i just popsiked my IAM - Ecole De Micro D'Argent. Went for 136 euros for the 3 x LP. so still some sort of market there.

edit - oops that was 2005 though.. no copies sold since then? on discogs it's listed between 100 and 300 euros.

well IAM is one of the more obvious ones.. there are things like the afro jazz lp and other more obscure french rap 12" /Lp's that go for more cash

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Yup their first 12" just went for something ridiculous on the bay $800 i think. and the calling will fetch you at least $150-200. I like their stuff just not that much.