Buy this EQ (500 series related)

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• Vintage King is the place!

That EQ looks like an interesting tool at that price point.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    wow.

i wish i had a lunchbox.

thes, pm

• Yeah, it's a great EQ and it works better than most on things like drum breaks. It's the EQ i always wanted for hip hop/sampled braeks.

It has a very very drastic boost cut (20db's) and combined with the sharp Q, you can make power of zues sound like it has an 808 on it. It works differently than any other eq i know of because the two filters run in parallel then sum before the output tranny, as opposed to running in series.

Bass, I stopped by your booth at Namm to say whats up on Thursday but they said your plane got delayed or something... hope to link up with you next time...

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    what other 500 modules would you recommend?

i'm looking to dip in. seems to be the way to go these days.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    lol at the guy in the comments on that page. Who is that guy?

b/w still in awe of your studio. Carpentry-wise and the gear in it.

• Well, i'll only recomend things i have had the pleasure of using, not just bullshit (there are alot of 500 series opinions i read online and i don't think people have actually even used said products)

1. To start, API original models line still sets the bar high: 512C Mic Pre 550A and 560 eq's and the 525C compressor all rock and kind of define the genre.

2. Avedis' MA5 is very close to a vintage neve pre (1073 etc.) without the pricetag and with the lunchbox format.. a very nice product

3. I love the Level-Or on parallel drum compression. A flavor unit for sure, it's noisy and can be cranky but nothing on the market can make new drums sound like an old break like the level-or.. and it's cheap

4. Inward connections EQ, as stated above

5. Anamod Fairchild Compressor.. fu** the bullshit, this thing sounds like a fairchild, which is $30,000 if working at all. And their pultec smokes as well.

Things i didn't like: anything made by purple, shoddy, felt like the knobs were going to fall off. Speck Eq - ho hum. Buzz audio - cool, but didn't have the balls i was looking for in sound. I like things dirt mcgirt.

Things i haven't tried but hear good things about: Avedis' eq, the Shadow Hills Optograph 500 joint, the Atals audio mic pre, any Eisen kit.

Go to www.lunchboxhero.com to see whats really good.

PErsonally, I would jump in... there alot of cool stuff on the horizon

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    as far as the api eq units are concerned, would you still take the eqp3? or is the api more musical whereas the eqp is surgical?

do you have any experience w/ any other neve clones...eg brent avril? how does it compare to the avedis?

purple? really? i've heard rave reviews of the mc77. are you just speaking 500 series gear?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Have anyone heard anything about the glory comp? looks really interesting, but Im wondering if its really worth the loot...

http://www.groovetubes.com/Glory_Comp_P2103.cfm

Looks like Im getting an ATS-1 thanks to your tip LordRadio.

• Ahh, well the MC77 is a great piece, but you know that is a fairly easy schematic, with good transformers it's not super difficult to get wrong, but FWIW, they did get it right. I cosign that joint aside form it's ugly purple face.

Their 500 series gear though i find to be a bit wierd/shoddily built - knobs coming off and the leds looking a little unsure. It all sounded good for the most part, but the company has been plagued with a couple of misfires on products and i just don't really see the point if there are so many other brands.

As for API, it's great but it's ALL fixed point Eq. So when you need to sweep around, say, a filtered bassline to find the sweetspot or a detuned 808 or something, your kind of shit out of luck. Thier stuff still has that sound though, so i use it, but the Inward Eq was necessary to cover things the 550a and 560 couldn't. For the record though, my console is stuffed with 12 560's. I can't get enough of that eq, you just have to be careful you don't go too drastic with any particular band.

Brent Averill and Avedis to me are kind of the same entity because Avedis worked with Brent for so many years. Brent's neve clones are the only ones worth buying imo, and in 500, Avedis' is the only one worth buying - i don't think anyone knows the neve stuff better than brent and avedis. Aside form that, they are both super cool and i know they stand behind their products, which is why they named them with their government names

FWIW, Wade at Chandler makes great stuff if you can get beyond the plastic knobs. Heard his new 500 series stuff and it kicked ass. another compelling reason to go 500.

• groove tubes is out of business and whats left of Alesis is manufacturing thier stuff. I would stay away for that reason alone, though I use my pre-closing ViPRE on every session now. Love it and can't recomend it enough, thogh noisy, it's magic paired with an SM7

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you can make power of zues sound like it has an 808 on it.

Must resist putting a Lunchbox together until I get a new place...

• oh its nasty man.. that eq is too powerful. must use power wisely

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think I gotta wait, I don't think I can hide a Lunchbox from my girlfriend. I sold and replaced a synth quickly enough that she didn't notice but a Lunchbox won't be as easy.

• That's whats up.. (when you do though make sure you hit up VK for the buy 4 modules get the lunchbox free deal)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Yeah, I've been trying to save up for that. I figure it won't hurt to wait a little while since there's always new shit coming out.