homemade orange liqUeur (NRR)

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I'm making it. Cut the rinds off about 10 oranges, put them in a big ass mason jar, dumped in almost a whole bottle of Everclear. it's been steeping for a few days, now I'm boiling a few cups of simple syrup to add in, then it's on. into the cupboard for 40 days, hoping it comes out good.anyone on here got any experience with homemade liqueur? any advice? how do you guys make it? anything good to add in there besides the orange peels?all advice appreciated. this is my first time trying this out.

Comments

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    juss try not to go blind!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I believe it is either "liquor" or "liqueur" or, occasionally, "likker".

But it is never "liquer"

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I believe it is either "liquor" or "liqueur" or, occasionally, "likker".

But it is never "liquer"

I definitely stand corrected. knew that didn't look right...

btw there's definitely a difference b/t "liquor" and "liqueur", the latter being a subset of the former.

pot likker liqueur would be

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My friend tried to make his own vodka. It did not go well. I will be very impressed/shocked if you get it to work. Holleur back in 40.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I did this with lemons, it was tasty.

• I've had some homemade lemonchello that was made in a similar way to this - it was great, let us know the results.

• There's a fun thing many homes in Japan do every year when spring/summer rolls around. Big jugs () of homemade plumwine (umeshu) can be found under aging the sink or in the closet of most of my friends' houses.

It's easy and tasty and you can keep your on vintage for a few years or as long as you resist drinking it. Just throw a bunch of new plums, rock sugar, and "white sake" in a jar and let it sit for a few months.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I picked up a bottle of this last weekend

It is scotch infused with orange zest, cloves and cassia bark. It doesn't have sugar and doesn't need any. It isn't for everyday drinking but it is nice with a piece of chocolate or in a hot toddy.

Compass Box, the company that makes it makes some great blended scotch and malt. Their stuff can be tough to find but is worth seeking out.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I'm making it. Cut the rinds off about 10 oranges, put them in a big ass mason jar, dumped in almost a whole bottle of Everclear. it's been steeping for a few days, now I'm boiling a few cups of simple syrup to add in, then it's on. into the cupboard for 40 days, hoping it comes out good.

anyone on here got any experience with homemade liqueur? any advice? how do you guys make it? anything good to add in there besides the orange peels?

all advice appreciated. this is my first time trying this out.

We make limonchino, aranchino, and some herbal liqueurs most every fall.

So far, you've done what we usually do. Don't let it just sit for 40 days, though, you should shake the concoction up, or stir it, everyday. Also, when you go to bottle it - strain it several times. We use a sieve the first time, and then coffee filters in a funnel for the second, third, and fourth. You might also want to water it down a bit before you bottle it.

Any citrus fruit works well, as long as you are only using the peel, not the rind or the pulp. Herbs work well too. We've had good results with Basil, Rosemary, Sage, Anise, and Fennel. With Thyme, didn't work out so well, though.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I'm making it. Cut the rinds off about 10 oranges, put them in a big ass mason jar, dumped in almost a whole bottle of Everclear. it's been steeping for a few days, now I'm boiling a few cups of simple syrup to add in, then it's on. into the cupboard for 40 days, hoping it comes out good.

anyone on here got any experience with homemade liqueur? any advice? how do you guys make it? anything good to add in there besides the orange peels?

all advice appreciated. this is my first time trying this out.

We make limonchino, aranchino, and some herbal liqueurs most every fall.

So far, you've done what we usually do. Don't let it just sit for 40 days, though, you should shake the concoction up, or stir it, everyday. Also, when you go to bottle it - strain it several times. We use a sieve the first time, and then coffee filters in a funnel for the second, third, and fourth. You might also want to water it down a bit before you bottle it.

Any citrus fruit works well, as long as you are only using the peel, not the rind or the pulp. Herbs work well too. We've had good results with Basil, Rosemary, Sage, Anise, and Fennel. With Thyme, didn't work out so well, though.

Definitely shaking it every day. I guess I need to get something for the filtering...don't drink coffee and don't have a sieve at the apartment, was planning on just using a pot and lid -- pasta style. Worried about watering it down too much though...

i think i'm going straight peels this time, but if it's good i'm definitely adding some of those herbs for round two. methinks anise, rosemary, sage and fennel would be good. basil's a bit worrisome...

will report back in a month. Over & Out.