Arthur Verocai to perform LIVE

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    green with envy does not begin to describe it

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Incredible... will speak on it more and post some pics when I get back to the bay area. I got my OG autographed and took a picture with the man himself so I am still on cloud nine right now!
    was that you that walked up to Egon with the OG copy?

You were standing right next to us.

Haha... yup... that was me rushing the stage like a jackass

It was my strategy to ensure I could get it signed after the show... and it worked! Egon was super cool and made the introduction for me. Verocai's quote when he saw the record was "you must be a very rich man"

What the hell did you do with it during the show? Hold it like a baby or clench it to your side like a purse? Had to be the most akward $1000 dollar piece of jewerly being held onto in the venue.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    did arthur play the acoustic guitar during the show? he's still got amazing chops.

He borrowed an electric guitar during the 2nd set. I missed the first set (they keep moving the start times up!) so I don't know if he busted out acoustically then.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Incredible... will speak on it more and post some pics when I get back to the bay area. I got my OG autographed and took a picture with the man himself so I am still on cloud nine right now!
    was that you that walked up to Egon with the OG copy?

You were standing right next to us.

Haha... yup... that was me rushing the stage like a jackass

It was my strategy to ensure I could get it signed after the show... and it worked! Egon was super cool and made the introduction for me. Verocai's quote when he saw the record was "you must be a very rich man"

What the hell did you do with it during the show? Hold it like a baby or clench it to your side like a purse? Had to be the most akward $1000 dollar piece of jewerly being held onto in the venue.

Haha... totally! I had it in a cardboard mailer. My parents and 16 year old sister were my bodyguards

Pics yo! No cameras inside the place so they better put out a DVD.

Nice writeup in the LA Reader

Driving by a poster for the show

Me being nerdy with my record and ticket

Cruising up to the Luckman Theater

I can barely contain myself!

Got 3 signatures from original artists!

Mythical rare gatefold!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the show was incredible.
    here's a snippet:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude those are cool as photos - the look on your face too! Oh man, that's great...

Pics yo! No cameras inside the place so they better put out a DVD.

Nice writeup in the LA Reader

Driving by a poster for the show

Me being nerdy with my record and ticket

Cruising up to the Luckman Theater

I can barely contain myself!

Got 3 signatures from original artists!

Mythical rare gatefold!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Speak on it!

I honestly can not believe how fortunate I was to be able to experience this performance. Arthur verocai's album is such a private album to me that I really only share it with the people who are close to me. I've been in love with his album for years and who knew I'd get a chance to meet him and watch him perform it live.

I still can't believe a performance like this would completly sell out that venue, because I've never heard anyone talk about this album except in small circles like Soulstrut. A big credit to LA for filling that venue and being eclectic and mature about it. I was also late to the Verocai show, so I missed the first song and Madlib and DJ NUTS. but we jacked some seats in the second row anyway and it was alot to take in.

Verocai looked in great form wearing a full tux with his hair cut extremely short. Big focused look on his face before he started. Egon and Jrocc hidden to the far right of the stage with big smiles on there face. I saw plenty of Cameras B+ was probably shooting a documentary DVD for the night. The orchestra was dressed all dress casual, but overall had a really chill look.

Carlos Daf?? (original singer from the album) was probably the most entertaining person to watch of the night. He was all smiles dancing with the 2 other singers and literally he felt how I felt. Can you imagine recording vocals for an album 40 years ago and then getting to perform it in a completly different country to a sold out auditorium?

Aloisio Aguiar (The original key player from the album) sat next to Jose Roberto Bertrami from Azymuth filling the room with Fender rhodes sounds. I didn't realize who the drummer was until I got my program during the second half, but the whole time I kept thinking he straight up looked like Gepetto with White hair, I damn near ranned to get a booklet to find out it was Ivan "Mamao" Conti ended up being the highlight of the entire night. Airto Moreira was on the far right straight up like a percussion mad scientist with all type of shakers and gadgets.

The rhythm section was incredible combination that Bass player was bad as F*ck switching between electric bass and upright. Mamao was literally breakface the whole night. Constantly rocking it. I don't remember the setlist, but i can tell you the highlights from what they played.

Sylvia was soaring, completly conducted by verocai. The orchestra flawlessly pulled this off spot on. Airto moreira literally blew me away with his percussion on this song.

Pelas sombras featured Carlos his voice really doesn't sound too far removed from how it did in 1972.

Present Grego, Literally Mamao and the bass player made this song even funkier than I remembered it.

Dedicada a ela really showed off Aloisio on keys.

Caboclo was genius. Verocai sang on this one, the only thing that was missing was the JUNO synthesizer sounds, but this song was by far the highlight of my night.

They had a brief intermission and came back with songs from ENCORE, and the rest of the night including a big jam on Karina.

I believe they ended the set with Na Boca da sol.

All credit to Mochilla and Stonesthrow and Mochilla for pulling all that together it was a wonderful experience.

I got a chance to hang out at the after party and chat up all the musicians, and dance to DJ NUTS. Got a chance to meet Madlib and Cut Chemist spoke with Egon for a minute. Arthur Verocai gave me a big HUG, (I felt so dumb I forgot to bring my reissue with me!) he really doesn't speak english well but he understood me perfectly at the end of the night when I told him he needs to put out an acoustic album. He said, "Oh yah? You think so?, hahaha" I got a big chance to meet Mamao and to tell him thank you for such a great show. Unfortunately at the end of the night I believe Mamao may have suffered from a stroke. He was carried away by an ambulance before I left. I haven't heard any news about it but if anybody knows what happened to him please PM me.

I feel so fortunate to catch worthwhile shows in LA when I do come in to town.

I had a pretty good experience overall.. Flirted with Mia doi todd, Drove to LA from Vegas, Caught DJ Renato throwing down at Mile's Funky Sole with my boy's 8-bit and Guzzo. Hit up my boy Utmos at his Beat Swap meet in Chinatown. Really interesting (overpriced and picked over)Record show that Illa J performed at. I got a chance to chill and meet up with some Soulstrut family there, Francislai, SoulMarcosa, Mylatency, Meatyogre and Mestizo from galapagos4. I picked up some good worthy records from M*rk, still want to pick up that quarteto from T*m, and performed acoustically on the street with my singer Liz for M*rco.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to bring my band to LA soon.

Until then,

- Diego

- spidey

I really wish I could have gone to the afterparty, but my parents and sister were dead tired after the show. Oh well... I think I did okay anyway

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Speak on it!

I honestly can not believe how fortunate I was to be able to experience this performance. Arthur verocai's album is such a private album to me that I really only share it with the people who are close to me. I've been in love with his album for years and who knew I'd get a chance to meet him and watch him perform it live.

I still can't believe a performance like this would completly sell out that venue, because I've never heard anyone talk about this album except in small circles like Soulstrut. A big credit to LA for filling that venue and being eclectic and mature about it. I was also late to the Verocai show, so I missed the first song and Madlib and DJ NUTS. but we jacked some seats in the second row anyway and it was alot to take in.

Verocai looked in great form wearing a full tux with his hair cut extremely short. Big focused look on his face before he started. Egon and Jrocc hidden to the far right of the stage with big smiles on there face. I saw plenty of Cameras B+ was probably shooting a documentary DVD for the night. The orchestra was dressed all dress casual, but overall had a really chill look.

Carlos Daf?? (original singer from the album) was probably the most entertaining person to watch of the night. He was all smiles dancing with the 2 other singers and literally he felt how I felt. Can you imagine recording vocals for an album 40 years ago and then getting to perform it in a completly different country to a sold out auditorium?

Aloisio Aguiar (The original key player from the album) sat next to Jose Roberto Bertrami from Azymuth filling the room with Fender rhodes sounds. I didn't realize who the drummer was until I got my program during the second half, but the whole time I kept thinking he straight up looked like Gepetto with White hair, I damn near ranned to get a booklet to find out it was Ivan "Mamao" Conti ended up being the highlight of the entire night. Airto Moreira was on the far right straight up like a percussion mad scientist with all type of shakers and gadgets.

The rhythm section was incredible combination that Bass player was bad as F*ck switching between electric bass and upright. Mamao was literally breakface the whole night. Constantly rocking it. I don't remember the setlist, but i can tell you the highlights from what they played.

Sylvia was soaring, completly conducted by verocai. The orchestra flawlessly pulled this off spot on. Airto moreira literally blew me away with his percussion on this song.

Pelas sombras featured Carlos his voice really doesn't sound too far removed from how it did in 1972.

Present Grego, Literally Mamao and the bass player made this song even funkier than I remembered it.

Dedicada a ela really showed off Aloisio on keys.

Caboclo was genius. Verocai sang on this one, the only thing that was missing was the JUNO synthesizer sounds, but this song was by far the highlight of my night.

They had a brief intermission and came back with songs from ENCORE, and the rest of the night including a big jam on Karina.

I believe they ended the set with Na Boca da sol.

All credit to Mochilla and Stonesthrow and Mochilla for pulling all that together it was a wonderful experience.

I got a chance to hang out at the after party and chat up all the musicians, and dance to DJ NUTS. Got a chance to meet Madlib and Cut Chemist spoke with Egon for a minute. Arthur Verocai gave me a big HUG, (I felt so dumb I forgot to bring my reissue with me!) he really doesn't speak english well but he understood me perfectly at the end of the night when I told him he needs to put out an acoustic album. He said, "Oh yah? You think so?, hahaha" I got a big chance to meet Mamao and to tell him thank you for such a great show. Unfortunately at the end of the night I believe Mamao may have suffered from a stroke. He was carried away by an ambulance before I left. I haven't heard any news about it but if anybody knows what happened to him please PM me.

I feel so fortunate to catch worthwhile shows in LA when I do come in to town.

I had a pretty good experience overall.. Flirted with Mia doi todd, Drove to LA from Vegas, Caught DJ Renato throwing down at Mile's Funky Sole with my boy's 8-bit and Guzzo. Hit up my boy Utmos at his Beat Swap meet in Chinatown. Really interesting (overpriced and picked over)Record show that Illa J performed at. I got a chance to chill and meet up with some Soulstrut family there, Francislai, SoulMarcosa, Mylatency, Meatyogre and Mestizo from galapagos4. I picked up some good worthy records from M*rk, still want to pick up that quarteto from T*m, and performed acoustically on the street with my singer Liz for M*rco.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to bring my band to LA soon.

Until then,

- Diego

Damn, word's cannot discribe how jealous I am lol. Wow wow wow.

Sounds wonderful, gave me goosebumps reading that. Just from that clip Mochilla posted, it already seems like much of what was played sounded near exactly like the album (not that I'd expect that, but that is great to hear).

The Arthur Verocai album is a very private album to me as well. Been a fan for years since discovery. An acoustic album would be great, I was hoping "Encore" would be something in that vein. "Encore" is a pretty enjoyable listen I'd say, pretty straight forward.

I am totally kicking myself for not getting on ball with this, should have flown out w/ a friend's airline buddy pass when I had the chance. Oh well, maybe some other time.. if that happens.

Damn, hope Mamao is okay. Doesn't sound too good.

Pictures look great, any more to share?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah i am really jealous of you all that got to go. i don't suppose there are any plans to do something like this in the bay area. i guess i'll just have to hope for a dvd release.

ferrari, was verocai surprised that you had an OG in hand? that's pretty awesome that you got it signed.

• yeah i am really jealous of you all that got to go. i don't suppose there are any plans to do something like this in the bay area.

Hit up VTech and convince 'em to make it happen.

B+ (and Mochilla in general) have been killing shit like this of late - they seem to really know how to find people to sponsor these kinds of shows, at least in Los Angeles.

The issue I think is that these are essentially promotional vehicles for the sponsoring organizations (or a variation on charity work I suppose) but I'd wonder if anyone's actually making money off it (besides the artists and the venue, of course). That's one reason why it'd be harder to see this "tour" to other cities. The costs involved, especially with international artists, are just prohibitively expensive.

ferrari, was verocai surprised that you had an OG in hand? that's pretty awesome that you got it signed.

Yeah, he was quite surprised! So were Egon and Nuts when I rushed the stage with mine as Nuts was showing off his. I wish someone got a picture of Egon holding the 2 copies with the gatefolds open on stage.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Great writeup SPlDEY, great pics Ferrari.
    Like most others I'm jealous as hell over here.
    LA gets this & Axelrod and what does NY get?
    Jeru & DAS EFX shows...damn.
    It's not fair I tells ya.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

Yeah, he was quite surprised! So were Egon and Nuts when I rushed the stage with mine as Nuts was showing off his. I wish someone got a picture of Egon holding the 2 copies with the gatefolds open on stage.
    I thought you rushed up to check out Egon in his tight pants, then he pulled out the record and if I took a photo at the right time it would have looked like you where standing below to catch a load! But good job bum rushing the show that was ballsy for the buldge! Soulstrutters RULE!!!!

• wow, this performance sounds awesome beyond belief, a once in a lifetime experience. I truly hope that mochilla put all these performances out on dvd, i dont care if its a dvd per performance- i'd take all four. Also i pray that Ivan Conti is ok, it would be a tragedy to lose somebody as talented as he is.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I hope Mamao is doing alright...

If you think a show like this is hard to put on in LA....try doing it in Brasil. Verocai and Azimuth aren't nearly as well known here as they are in your private mindgarden.

Awesome pics Ivan, looks like a blast, excited to check this out on DVD.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I was in heaven seeing this live. Got goosebumps and even teared up a couple times. This album is very personal to me too, I felt incredibly privileged to have been able to witness such an occasion. I was walking on cloud 9 for hours afterwards. What a night!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    wow

is that actually Celia singing?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    damn, they pulled Celia out of the woodwork for this too?

I really missed something special here.

Actually it was Clarisse Grova and she did an incredible job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWZqje9GuM

Anyone want to post the celia s/t in ?

- spidey

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was afraid to read this thread and my worst fears are confirmed - I blew it!

Shoulda sprung for the tix/hotel/plane from NYC.

Coulda got my OG signed, too...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Coulda got my OG signed, too...

I think getting his rookie signed taints the record.

I wrote a blog post about the experience...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=21393335&blogId=478626658

- Still on cloud nine

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=21393335&blogId=478626658

- Still on cloud nine

great story

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

- Still on cloud nine

Thanks for posting this up! It once more leaves me with regret for not going! haha Oh well.

I found live mp3s on O-Dub's site and thought I'd upload them. Once again, thanks to whoever "B" is for posting these. I've been ever since!

• nice writeup djferrari, its obvious from yours and countless other descriptions that this performance was x10000
    mochilla would be stupid not to release the timeless performances on dvd, they'd be a license to print money they'd sell that quick!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mochilla isn't releasing these on DVD? Pretty sure they would be.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Mochilla isn't releasing these on DVD? Pretty sure they would be.

i'd expect the dvd packaged with a live cd. mochilla does those dvd's up nicely, see the keepintime & brasilintime dvd/cd's for proof.