Arthur Verocai to perform LIVE

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
The latest installment in the ???Timeless??? series features Brazilian composer Arthur Verocai performing his milestone 1971 self-titled album , a string-laden psychedelic masterpiece, live for the first time. Seeking to honor arranger/composers that have influenced hip-hop in the most profound ways, this event will also feature DJ sets by Madlib and DJ Nuts, with special guests TBA. It goes down on Sunday, March 15th, 7-11pm.
http://music.vtechphones.com/2009/01/timeless/#fbid:uuYPVojy9_f

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    already discussed a month back
    def looks cool though

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I will be there... OG copy in hand... so back off!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    man, i want to go to this so bad

• hellllllllllll yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

• i would so be there, would it not be for the facts that im 5000 miles away and broke...i hope the mochilla dudes film these performances and put em out on dvd, but they wouldn't be able to capture the atmosphere of the performances on film in my opinion.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The latest installment in the ???Timeless??? series features Brazilian composer Arthur Verocai performing his milestone 1971 self-titled album , a string-laden psychedelic masterpiece, live for the first time. Seeking to honor arranger/composers that have influenced hip-hop in the most profound ways, this event will also feature DJ sets by Madlib and DJ Nuts, with special guests TBA. It goes down on Sunday, March 15th, 7-11pm.

Wow. Seriously, if I was in LA, I'd snag tickets for all those shows. I hope someone brings Verocai over to the UK.

• I hope someone brings Verocai over to the UK.

lets start a facebook group!

• ^^i'd join it! DJ Cliffy/Joe Davis etc with far out would probably be able to bring him over- especially since he did an album for them!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Shit, I always forget to want to meet some soulstrutters when I'm in town. I'll be at the show hanging out with Guzzo.

say whassup if you see me.

-Diego

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Speak on it!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    what an incredible night.
    I bought tickets early and wound up getting front row seats.
    I wanna go back and see it again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    what an incredible night.
    I bought tickets early and wound up getting front row seats.
    I wanna go back and see it again. [/quote

Proper!

I thought it was great - amazing that this was Verocai I>first[/i] show in LA ever. I still think the last "Ma Dukes" show will be impossible to top but the whole Timeless series has been excellent stuff.

Axelrod last but not least!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    So bummed I missed this. I was in LA last night and was barely awake enough to drive back to PS. Booooo! Someone post pics and a full recap, por favor!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Did they record this/these for release on DVD? If they didn't they should have. I would totally cop. When are shows like this going to happen again?

Incredible... will speak on it more and post some pics when I get back to the bay area. I got my OG autographed and took a picture with the man himself so I am still on cloud nine right now!

• Incredible... will speak on it more and post some pics when I get back to the bay area. I got my OG autographed and took a picture with the man himself so I am still on cloud nine right now!

HA.. Pistol and I were there.. We should do a little soulstrut pre-show meeting at the venue. I have yet to meet more than 2 or 3 strutters in real life.

On this show... I listened to the album again Friday night, and I feel like still didn't really KNOW it till last night. Visually speaking, and I was front row, I really got to witness the album. You can see all the nuances that make up the compositions. How lightly he would add in the clarinet, trumpet, etc. The String section killed it! and Arthur's guitar solo directly after intermission was

ALL IN ALL

x 1,000,000

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I got a 4th row isle seat on the right. I had a great time. The first part ran through the self-titled record. The second part was his most recent work with, I assume, music he did from Brazilian movies and television. The tune that sounded like a cop show theme, the one with the piccolo, was fantastic. The flower lady with the trombone and the OG Azimuth members on the Rhodes and drums, respectively, did a great job. Airto was subtle but effective on the timbales and various percussion. "Na Boca Do Sol" was done at the end of both sets. That little string hook gives me goosebumps. Anyhow, it was nice to see everyone there: Ferrari, Insulin1200 (who used to post here a few years ago) and others

"flower lady with the trombone"...ha!

And Ferrari - that's awesome you got a sig!

Not to hate, but did anyone else find the rendition of "One Note Samba" at the end of the second set to be kind of "eh"? I'm all for people solo-ing but after a while, it just dragged on.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I got a 4th row isle seat on the right. I had a great time. The first part ran through the self-titled record. The second part was his most recent work with, I assume, music he did from Brazilian movies and television. The tune that sounded like a cop show theme, the one with the piccolo, was fantastic. The flower lady with the trombone and the OG Azimuth members on the Rhodes and drums, respectively, did a great job. Airto was subtle but effective on the timbales and various percussion. "Na Boca Do Sol" was done at the end of both sets. That little string hook gives me goosebumps. Anyhow, it was nice to see everyone there: Ferrari, Insulin1200 (who used to post here a few years ago) and others

I don't know if he did music for TV or movies.
    After the s/t record, he released two other
    albums: "Saudade demais" (an independent release),
    and "Encore", by Far Out Records.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Incredible... will speak on it more and post some pics when I get back to the bay area. I got my OG autographed and took a picture with the man himself so I am still on cloud nine right now!
    was that you that walked up to Egon with the OG copy?
    You were standing right next to us.

• I'm kicking myself for missing this.

Given that Verocai isn't that old, I could see him coming back to LA at some point in the future.

But yo, big up VTech for footing the bill on the Timeless Series. They've done this shit up right, especially in the support players they've brought in to play with all these dudes. I wonder who's going to join Axelrod.

was that you that walked up to Egon with the OG copy?

You were standing right next to us.

Haha... yup... that was me rushing the stage like a jackass

It was my strategy to ensure I could get it signed after the show... and it worked! Egon was super cool and made the introduction for me. Verocai's quote when he saw the record was "you must be a very rich man"

. Verocai's quote when he saw the record was "you must be a very rich man"

Game recognize game

Seriously, that's priceless (well, $1150+ priceless). Glad you came down to LA to make it happen.

Who's going to go see The Axe?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's really strange being here in Brasil having all of you talk about an amazing performance by a Brasilian legend that will never happen here, then walking outside and seeing literally hundreds of ads for the Radiohead show on Thursday.

Oh globalization...

Verocai doesn't perform in Brazil?

• Who's going to go see The Axe?

I shall be there... row P though not front row like last time

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Verocai doesn't perform in Brazil?

Wasn't his album banned/censored at some point? Or the Brasilian gov't made the attempt to? Should probably do my homework on this...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    did arthur play the acoustic guitar during the show? he's still got amazing chops.