Percee P - The Man To Praise

escoeescoe 113 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i think i've ran into percee more times than anyone else in my life.

he's everywhere. just like the interwebs.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    i think i've ran into percee more times than anyone else in my life.

he's everywhere. just like the interwebs.

I met him after a show once. He didn't seem too bright.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I still dont understand this dudes cult following.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i used to see him on a weekly basis. this was years ago. NY'ers know that he would stand in front of Fat Beats all day and all afternoon. then he would go to whatever show was going on that evening...

he would try to peddle his mixtape and have a bookbag with his Source clippings and pictures of him with Big Daddy Kane.

i finally broke down and bought the mixtape. he would still ask me to buy it every time i saw him and i had to keep explaining i had already bought it from him the previous time.

eventually he just disappeared. this was probably around the time when he was doing shit with Stones Throw. i can only imagine he was out in LA doing the same thing. i just hope he has a car out there haha

while i do like some of his music, it gets really tired after a while. "a girl Nicky gave me a hickey wiki wiki"

ehhh not for me

dude kinda built himself to legend status. but i dont think he was ever that great.

he aint no G Rap

He seems to embody this "undiscovered genius of Hip Hop" for little dudes, who think he should have been given a big push after his Lord Finesse appearences.

I dont get it.
    Im not sayin he's wack, but I dont get the "foaming at the mouf" attitude that cats get when he's brought up.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Percee's dope.

But the legend shit is a bit much.

Plenty of guys don't get their due in music.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Just so i am represented correctly. I DONT think he is a legend. He makes himself out to be one. So kids flock. Hes good but no amazing. And def not legendary in my eyes

I copped his mixtape in front of Fat Beats too.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    No, I know - I'm agreeing. He's one of very very many good MCs that never got far in the record industry. Not to take anything away, I think he's nasty. But I'm not one of the guys who would say he's some unheralded genius.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I met him after a show once. He didn't seem too bright.
    That would account for the whole "1 release a decade" thing.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I once djed at one of his gigs over here in Europe. He was a cool, down to earth guy. No attitudes, straight simple and direct. Props from my side, although i agree that he is no legend or whatever. But a talented mc with a story.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That song is ouch. Sounds like he needs a lyrical walker to help get him across the intersections. Did the lungs actually collapse at some point in his life? Don't mean to dis the god, but give me Labtekwon (or even Motion Man) for underground vagabond mc hero over this dude any day of the Fat Beats business week.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

The original (& best) Man To Praise

apologies about the sound quality but it's as good as it gets. I just he'd put out this version so I can listen to it in all it's glory

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    co-sign on motion man!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I copped his mixtape in front of Fat Beats too.

he was selling cds outside his Sydney show last year , and most punters had no clue who he was, there just walking past looking at him funny....

I copped the Madlib remix album. What do you guys think of that one?

I loved the beats but i think Percee needs to have uptempo tracks to shine... his style dont suit the madlib stoner swing beats....IMO

He killed it live too....2/3 of the crowd probably wont familiar with his work (it was a big Sydney festival event) and he won them over in a sec.

A mate of mine wrote to him back in the day and he sent him back a tape dub of all his tracks (released and unreleased) at the time, plus pics of his chilling with fam etc. Real down to earth style.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    his single on big beat was hot when it first came out....
    I think my main criticism of his style is that when heads flipped over his... I don't know what you would call it double rhymin style or whatever where he rhymes two words every 1/2 bar? Yeah when everybody bigged him up for that style he ran with it, and pretty much does it on most if not all of the songs I've heard him on recently. IMO he needs to just break it up and go back to straight flowin on the mic and use that other style on occasion. That video he had with clips from 80 blocks from tiffanys? I was feelin that and the cut he did with diamond d. Is he a legend? No but that battle with lord finesse footage from 89? Legendary.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    THIS is a classic - legendary - record.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Dude has amazing stage presence and definitely knows how to put on a show. Just for that he stands heads above so many rappers its not even funny.

I will agree that the whole "I'm a legend, and I've been with rap since the stone age"-thing gets tired, but honestly if he didn't get the shine he's getting now, people would be talking about how he SHOULD be getting it. He made it, good for him.

Oh, and cosine on him being better on faster beats.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    IMO he needs to just break it up and go back to straight flowin on the mic and use that other style on occasion.

Look at what happened to Jay z when he slowed his flow waaaaay down....

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    "I'm a legend, and I've been with rap since the stone age"-thing gets tired

And that what he's on w/ that video above. Again.

Same subject matter =

• I'm psyched, we just got Percee on a track for our next record. Took forever to get it done, but he always comes tight and he's definitely not phoning it in.

Percee is all about crazy word play and fast rhyming. I don't really give a F*ck about the content when he's got punchlines at the speed of light. Dudes a legend to me and he was my number one to guest, so I'm glad we got him

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I'm psyched, we just got Percee on a track for our next record. Took forever to get it done, but he always comes tight and he's definitely not phoning it in.

Percee is all about crazy word play and fast rhyming. I don't really give a F*ck about the content when he's got punchlines at the speed of light. Dudes a legend to me and he was my number one to guest, so I'm glad we got him

BAN

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Wasn't he selling guest spots on Myspace or Craigslist or something?
    Rough out there.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rough out there.
    }

All you meatheads out there poking fun at shit like this, but I ain't mad at a motherfucker. Let the dude get his. Man, THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER - especially for working musicians. Shit, I just bought a crib and hell of a mortgage in front of me, and that shit has me somewhat shook considering what it's like. Thankfully work has been good for me, but when I see DJs that I know (and who are somewhat notable) have to take jobs driving taxis, and when I tour with pretty notable rappers who's royalties are drying up and have to do shit shows for straight PITTANCE, that really frames this shit to me in a way.

FYI - The music industry is completely going berserk right now, and when everyone is laughing at the majors for getting what was coming to them, so many working musicians I freaking the F*ck out right now. I've been doing this for a living strictly since 1996 and things today are completely different than they've ever been. So let my man get his cheddar and feed his family off this shit with whatever avenue he can. That's word.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'm not poking fun.
    Kool G Rap & Jean Grae did the same thing, probably many others.

I repeat: It's rough out there.

• yeah there's nothing wrong with hustling myspace and CL. Make your music, make your money, it's all good

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    IMO he needs to just break it up and go back to straight flowin on the mic and use that other style on occasion.

Look at what happened to Jay z when he slowed his flow waaaaay down....

Someone needs to do a DJ Screw style mixtape of his shit....

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Rough out there.
    }

All you meatheads out there poking fun at shit like this, but I ain't mad at a motherfucker. Let the dude get his. Man, THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER - especially for working musicians. Shit, I just bought a crib and hell of a mortgage in front of me, and that shit has me somewhat shook considering what it's like. Thankfully work has been good for me, but when I see DJs that I know (and who are somewhat notable) have to take jobs driving taxis, and when I tour with pretty notable rappers who's royalties are drying up and have to do shit shows for straight PITTANCE, that really frames this shit to me in a way.

FYI - The music industry is completely going berserk right now, and when everyone is laughing at the majors for getting what was coming to them, so many working musicians I freaking the F*ck out right now. I've been doing this for a living strictly since 1996 and things today are completely different than they've ever been. So let my man get his cheddar and feed his family off this shit with whatever avenue he can. That's word.

Thx Cos! True Words! And "Lung Collapsing Lyrics" is a killer...

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    I have never heard of rappers selling verses on Craigs List, and Craigs List being abbreivated to CL Gives a new meaning to CL Smooth.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I never understood what was good about labtekwon.