COUNTRY MUSIC...

13»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Not my words below, but fairly accurate....and for at least one song, they did indeed capture the sound and image of a "real" psych band.

The ambience of rebellious psychedelia was widespread at this time of course, and the band, re-titled Kenny Rogers & the First Edition within a year, tapped into this mood perfectly again through their war protest song Ruby, Don???t Take Your Love To Town, folk anthem Reuben James and 1970???s moodily atmospheric Something???s Burning.

Where did you get this from? Kenny Rogers' website? "The band tapped into rebellious psychedelia" once and only once. This bio makes him sound like he was prime Woodstock material (which he wasn't).

And maybe I missed something, but "Ruby..." wasn't protesting the Vietnam War so much as it was Ruby selling her body on the street ("it's hard to love a man whose legs are bent and paralyzed/and the wants and needs of a woman your age, Ruby, I realize").

I did preface the C&P with the "one song" disclaimer.

b/w

Sha Na Na played Woodstock

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The hippies of 1969 grew up with 1950's rock & roll, so that's not so surprising. If you've ever seen pictures of those first rock revivals (which had just started up around the time of Woodstock), if there was a crowd shot, who was in the audience? Young longhairs whose first record may have been a Big Bopper 45.

At that point, at a hipster rock festival, an oldies revue made way more sense than a middle-of-the-road pop group who had Kenny Rogers as a lead singer.

The hippies of 1969 grew up with 1950's rock & roll, so that's not so surprising. If you've ever seen pictures of those first rock revivals (which had just started up around the time of Woodstock), if there was a crowd shot, who was in the audience? Young longhairs whose first record may have been a Big Bopper 45.

At that point, at a hipster rock festival, an oldies revue made way more sense than a middle-of-the-road pop group who had Kenny Rogers as a lead singer.

Here is one story I found about Ohio's Version Of Woodstock: Piper Rock Festival

__________________________________________________________________________________

Piper Rock was a rock festival to be held outside of Akron
    somewhere.

There was an out-of-town crew who had built the stage.
    The workers were led by a hippie named "Thumper" who
    was a big guy with very long black hair and a big
    black beard.

It was a bit of a disaster. It poured with rain all
    night and continued into the day.

The way we got equipment up to the top of the stage
    was to pass the amps and stuff hand-to-hand up a
    narrow wooden flight of stairs. It was nuts- we could
    have lost people.

I believe this was the first gig of Barnstorm, except
    Joe called the band "Barnyard". I can't remember who
    all was in it. I remember they did a version of Honky
    Tonk Women. Probably Vitale on drums.

Other bands (I can't remember all of them) scheduled
    included Pig Iron (from Toronto) Canned Heat, The
    Byrds, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition [/b] and I'm not
    sure who else.

Several of them refused to play (like the Byrds)
    because they were afraid they would get electrocuted
    playing in the rain. Others kind of faked it. For
    example, Canned Heat didn't set up, but Bob "The Bear"
    Hyte and "Blind Owl" sat in with Pig Iron, using them
    as a backing band and doing some Canned Heat songs.

I assume you were a sound man, but can't remember.

I remember you marvelling over a clause in Canned
    Heat's contract that required the festival to give
    them limousine transportation. You wanted to have Jim
    Greathouse, who drove an old hearse in those days, to
    pick them up at the airport, thereby providing a
    "limousine". This didn't happen, but you thought it
    would be funny.

The backstage area was a sea of mud. Most vehicles
    were up to their axles in it and stuck. But this crazy
    young farmer guy named Ed Hatch (who I knew from
    Akron- I don't think any of the Kent people knew him)
    showed up in his pickup truck, which was the only
    thing that could move through the mud. He was
    immediately pressed into service. Since I knew him, he
    let me ride in the back when he drove out to pick up
    Kenny Rogers and band from their stuck tour bus out by
    the road and took them to the backstage area. So I got
    to ride in the truck bed with Kenny & his band.

I know there were some other good acts there, but I
    can't remember who. maybe someone else will know.

Aw, some stoned people in the rain will listen to anything...

(((GRIN)))

even though the presence of kenny and the first edition at a rock festival was probably a straight-up fluke, i wonder how they went over

• LUCERO.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Maybe fake is too strong a word. I shoulda said "pseudo-psych?"

This notion that "true" psych music has some inherent tie-in with drugs and being part of "The Revolution" is bogus in my opinion.

While it may have it's roots with artists who did indeed participate in both, once the genre was defined, anyone could and did play psychedelic music.

Gabor Szabo recorded one of my top ten fave psych songs of all-time ("Walking On Nails") and he was no more of a "true psych artist" than Kenny Rogers.

Having run a label that has released 60+ LP's and having spoken to literally hundreds of musicisns from the 60's-70's rock scene, an amazing high percentage didn't even do drugs nor were "revolting" against 'the man"....for the most part they just wanted to get laid.

The most psychedelic LP I have been involved with, Cold Sun, has more to do with horror movies and lizards than drugs and revolution.

I don't dispute anything you said.

Just as I am sure you don't dispute that in Feb of 1968 Kenny Rogers was not seen as being a part of the psychedelic scene.

Just as I am sure you don't dispute that in Feb of 1968 Kenny Rogers was not seen as being a part of the psychedelic scene.

Was he part of the West Coast/San Francisco/Psychedelic "scene" that the media would show stock footage of every time they reported on hippies and psychedelia.....no.

But you best believe that in 1968, in places like Iowa, Oklahoma, etc., etc....."Just Dropped In" was just as wildly psychedelic as anything else they were hearing on their radio dials.

And they NEVER heard bands like the 13th Floor Elevators unless they really went out of their way to seek it out......which is why you'll find 10,000 copies of the First Edition 45 for every one copy of "You're Gonna Miss Me".

Back then Kenny hadn't yet had the long boring mediocre Country/Pop career that makes us all hate him now.....folks just liked the song...and it was indeed psychedelic.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Was he part of the West Coast/San Francisco/Psychedelic "scene" that the media would show stock footage of every time they reported on hippies and psychedelia.....no.

But you best believe that in 1968, in places like Iowa, Oklahoma, etc., etc....."Just Dropped In" was just as wildly psychedelic as anything else they were hearing on their radio dials.

And they NEVER heard bands like the 13th Floor Elevators unless they really went out of their way to seek it out......which is why you'll find 10,000 copies of the First Edition 45 for every one copy of "You're Gonna Miss Me".

Back then Kenny hadn't yet had the long boring mediocre Country/Pop career that makes us all hate him now.....folks just liked the song...and it was indeed psychedelic.

Indeed.

The "real" groups got almost no radio play in Iowa or Oklahoma or most other places.
    Hendrix had only one top 40 hit, #20.
    Grateful Dead had none.
    Love one top 40 hit, #33.
    And so on.
    In fact their lack of hits is part of what made them "real".

Here is another Bobbie Gentry cut.
    She was not real country.
    She moved to LA when she was about 12. Studied music and did most of her recording in LA or Muscle Shoals, and most of her performing in Vegas.
    Her dad was Portuguese.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Now granted, it was probably the way I did it (I had it looped with some Africa Bambaataa vocal loop with some drums building up in the intro) but when I let the record drop, the crowd erupted. This is a hip-hop club in Brooklyn. I mean, that shit is dirty though, shit is a motherfucking dance song.

I have let "JOLENE" fly a few times in sets, one time in all hip hop set, the floor cleared except three chicks who went nuts when they heard it, you could tell they grew up with the song, as did myself. "Jolene" will always be staple, such a badass song.

On another tip of new music, Jeb Loy Nichols "country music disco 45" new single is kinda sweet and perfect for this thread:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/56900447a23568ce/

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've almost certainly seen more copies of the latter than the former - but I'm on the east coast.

• A friend hipped me to this heartbreaker:

I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick
    On the cigarettes there in the ashtray
    Lying cold the way you left them
    But least your lips caressed them
    While you packed

And a lip print on a half-filled cup of coffee
    That you poured and didn't drink
    But at least you thought you wanted it
    That's so much more than I can say for me

YES, G Jones all day

Indeed.

The "real" groups got almost no radio play in Iowa or Oklahoma or most other places.
    Hendrix had only one top 40 hit, #20.
    Grateful Dead had none.
    Love one top 40 hit, #33.
    And so on.
    In fact their lack of hits is part of what made them "real".

And that's when the FM rock format started coming on strong, as an acknowledgement that there was a new wave of bands who weren't being exposed enough on the Top 40 stations.