Donny Hath or Otis Redding?

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don was a sophisticated arranger, but O could arrange too.

The reason the horn parts are better on O lps than other Stax records is that O arranged them.

He arranged Try A Little Tenderness, which was a syrupy pop song before he got a hold of it.

Donny's Live lp is better than any Otis live lp.

I agree with everyone above.
    Accept:
    Those first 2 Roberta Flack lps are just about perfect.

• Otis Redding at Monterey > (x 1,000) Donny's Live lp > than many other live lps.[/b]

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I agree with everyone above.
    EXcept:
    Those first 2 Roberta Flack lps are just about perfect.

Compared to What?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

10/10[/b]

The End.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Otis, for all the reasons mentioned above.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Otis by a landslide. Otis could do everything. He could do the slow ballads and make you weep, then hit you with a fast pace number to get your spirits up again and want to hit the dancefloor. His range of emotions that he could evoke were just heads and shoulders above anything I've felt listening to Donny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Does Otis have any instrumental tracks like Donny's Nu-Po from In Performance?

Seems like I had a record by a group claiming to be his road band that had instrumentals.

There are also instrumentals by his other back up groups, like the MGs, Bar-Kays and Mar-Keys.

I don't think he wrote or performed any instrumentals.

Happy Song is kind of like an instrumental. Doesn't really have any words.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Seems like I had a record by a group claiming to be his road band that had instrumentals.

There are also instrumentals by his other back up groups, like the MGs, Bar-Kays and Mar-Keys.

I don't think he wrote or performed any instrumentals.

Cool.

But even if he contributed to his musical arrangements lets not equate that to what Hathaway was trying to do w/ his own music.

I dont want to really compare the chances Donny took on Extensions to what Otis was doin. Two different eras/industries/artistic freedoms/audiences/etc.

I prefer Donny, but Otis is kinda unfukwitable.

Like Pickwick said earlier - why not look at his contemporaries.

This is like you father vs. your favorite uncle.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The "Happy Song," from The Immortal Otis Redding, does indeed have lyrics. Not an instrumental by any stretch of the imagination.

• otis

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Hathaway Live is def top 5 of all time for me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Perfect to see Dan step into the arena. The first time I ever went to his store in 93 I saw Everything is Everything in the bins and asked Dan if it was funky. (I was in that funk phase we all go through). Dan sorta shrugged and said, "Funky? kinda. Do wanna hear it?" As soon as he put it on I was totally blown away. Thanks for taking a young buck under your wing Dan. Never stopped listening to that record ever.

Dan is totally correct when he says that Otis was a helluva an arranger. He put together most of his own songs. But Donny is next level with what he was doing musically.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i didnt read anything here but may i please add the name Donny Hath[/b] to my pet peeves list.

who u is, faux_rillz?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    This thread got me listening to Otis last night for the first time in a long time: The Immortal ORedding. His sound is very touching, the pain in his voice is just under the surface, scraping through in all the right places.
    It got me thinking of early Syl Johnson alot... especially the twinight sessions, very similar sound and delivery, he must have influenced Syl.

This thread got me listening to Otis last night for the first time in a long time: The Immortal ORedding. His sound is very touching, the pain in his voice is just under the surface, scraping through in all the right places.
    It got me thinking of early Syl Johnson alot... especially the twinight sessions, very similar sound and delivery, he must have influenced Syl.

If you have not listened to James Carr yet, you should.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I only know his classics likeDark End of the Street. Your right, I should explore his output more.