uk funky house

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

When I think "Broken" I think about the Bugz/Neon Phusion stuff - real science beats. The Omar and that Donaeo business still have, to me, a kind of soca/bloco vibe to them - the beat is still too "Human" to be a broken.

definitely...

west london grown n sexy (bugz) vs east london kids music (donaeo et all)

That's great, but you're both wrong.

• none of the music posted here is funky house, it's forms of broken beat. funky house is 4-to-the-floor and has been for years, whatever is being translated outside the UK as funky house is not what it is in the uk. it's pretty mainstream music. and dull.

So Apple, Crazy Cousins, Donaeo, etc are not UK Funky?

Drop some knowledge then.

• So Apple, Crazy Cousins, Donaeo, etc are not UK Funky?

looks like the genre has been reinvented and other styles are now using the name, which was unknown to me. the styles mentioned here are UK garage and broken beat, they've just changed the name, M J Cole was never funky house.

This is suprising accurate if you want some knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_house

this is funky house (or always was until now anyway!)

as I said, it's dull.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I thought this was 2step?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    it's all techno to me!

or for the more educated listener: electronica!

So Apple, Crazy Cousins, Donaeo, etc are not UK Funky?

looks like the genre has been reinvented and other styles are now using the name, which was unknown to me. the styles mentioned here are UK garage and broken beat, they've just changed the name, M J Cole was never funky house.

This is suprising accurate if you want some knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_house

this is funky house (or always was until now anyway!)

as I said, it's dull.

No one has said anything about "Funky House", we're all aware of that BS. We're talking about what's called "UK Funky".

Fall back and stay in thy lane, yung.

• We're talking about what's called "UK Funky".

FYI: Folks in the UK don't refer to this as "UK Funky." That's an American construct.

In the tunes I fux with, the shit is referred to as "Funky" or "Funky House."

Whether or not there's some other shit referred to as "Funky House" is not important. And all these genre name hang-ups and restrictions are f*cking dumb.

Also, shit bangs.

• The Omar stuff I know, but would not classify as "Broken" in, I dunno, the Ealing sense of the word. When I think "Broken" I think about the Bugz/Neon Phusion stuff - real science beats. The Omar and that Donaeo business still have, to me, a kind of soca/bloco vibe to them - the beat is still too "Human" to be a broken.

Your restrictive idea of broken beat is incorrect. That Omar "It's So" is a broken beat classic. Broken beat was never "real science beats."

Broken beat was never meant to be one sound, or one style. It has human elements. Soca elements. House elements. Rap elements. Garage elements (the U.S. and UK versions). All of it. It's not confined to a tempo or a specific structure/style of beats. The DJs who spin broken and produce broken do not restrict themselves to any one thing. The only people with the weird kind of prejudices about broken beat like the one's exhibited in this thread are people who are from outside the scene. Inside of broken beat, those restrictions aren't there.

It's useless to say that Broken is this and Funky is that. They're both culled from a large pool of overlapping influences. Some funky is straight up broken beat (The Seigalizer beat is a straight rip from DKD's Future Rage, for example). Some is not. It doesn't really matter either way.

Anyway, just divorce yourselves from the idea that these genres are specific to one sound, and thus can only be labeled one thing. Context is everything, and the only thing that matters is what sounds good and what doesn't. YMMV.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    point is, some of this stuff is the shit

• point is, some of this stuff is the shit

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://rinsefm.blogspot.com/2009/03/marcus-nasty-mc-rankin-8th-march.html

heres the most recent marcus nasty mix, i havent checked it yet but these are almost always pretty great

• No one has said anything about "Funky House", we're all aware of that BS. We're talking about what's called "UK Funky".

ha ha

Check the title of the thread before you start flexing yerself about what we're talking about and yung backatcha, i've been around for long enough on and off the uk house scene to know what it is lol - and I simply stated that the music on here is not funky house in the true UK term.

Come to the uk instead of reading about it, follow the posters to the nearest 'funky house' night, you won't be hearing any apples or wookie. You will get stuff like that I posted up and end up at a hed-kandi night, and that's the truth, even if you don't like it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

When I think "Broken" I think about the Bugz/Neon Phusion stuff - real science beats. The Omar and that Donaeo business still have, to me, a kind of soca/bloco vibe to them - the beat is still too "Human" to be a broken.

definitely...

west london grown n sexy (bugz) vs east london kids music (donaeo et all)

That's great, but you're both wrong.

hardly...

in general, the music i hear in the broken beat section of things is slicker than the stuff i hear in the funky section... prove me wrong...

i am hardly claiming to be an expert on this stuff, but there is def grime roots to this stuff... people like Marcus Nasty and Doneo came out of grime... the idea of making a 4/4 music w/ heavy emphesis on the offbeats is rooted thru grime... the difference is the slower BPM and the more smoothed out (and girl friendly) vibe... but you still have big Funky producers like Lil Silva making remixes of grime tunes like Pulse X... actually eveything lil silva does is pretty great...

a lot of funky house could be considered on the electro crossover, stuff like this:

or Yeah Yeah by Bodyrox, that got caned by Funky DJ's...

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    point is, some of this stuff is the shit

Sounds like sub-par Basement Jaxx.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol, house music all sounds the same

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

No one has said anything about "Funky House", we're all aware of that BS. We're talking about what's called "UK Funky".

ha ha

Check the title of the thread before you start flexing yerself about what we're talking about and yung backatcha, i've been around for long enough on and off the uk house scene to know what it is lol - and I simply stated that the music on here is not funky house in the true UK term.

Come to the uk instead of reading about it, follow the posters to the nearest 'funky house' night, you won't be hearing any apples or wookie. You will get stuff like that I posted up and end up at a hed-kandi night, and that's the truth, even if you don't like it.

i wrote the thread title & im talking about the shit that is played in the marcus nasty mix i just linked to. i dont care what youre talking about or what u consider 'mainstream' or 'commercial' -- go listen to whatever the rawkus of 00s british house is & stfu

• IT'S ALL DESCENDED FROM AMBAG

Except Grime.

• For those that are feeling the Funky sound, I just posted a Funky mix:

http://www.buhbomp.com/updates/?p=2279

Direct download:
    http://www.touchandfeel.org/downloads/touchfeel15.mp3