uk funky house

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
anyone else digging this shit? maybe doc mccoy can talk about it. i like how diverse the sound of it is.

& that crazy cousinz branding noise is still cool to me. 'inflation' is the shit

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    dont ask me wtf she is wearing in that vid

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I hate when I like shit you like.

We big up plenny UK Funky over here.
    http://buhbomp.com

BTW, UK Funky is really just Broken Beat v2.0.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    seems a lot more like 2step v2.0 to me

girly vocalists & dancefloors & shit .. unless i have a weird idea of what 'broken beat' is

i have a weird idea of what 'broken beat' is

You probably do. Most people that aren't or weren't into it have very bizarre ideas of what broken beat actually sounds like.

Broken Beat:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think my view of broken beat is that weird

its a lot more dwele-remix type polite soulful shit right?? it seems a lot less populist or something

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    like broken beat is more young phonics-y

Broken beat is many things, polite is only one of them. The "Bruck" sound is a really dirty, punchy variation. There's plenty of Broken that's hard hitting, most of which didn't make it as deep into the states.

• fuzzy logik is jams for sure. british dudes love over singing

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this type of music actually referred to as "Funky" - like that's the name of the "genre" if that's what you want to call it.

• that's hilarious. technotronic cosmic funk zap slap POW manure. FADER!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    FUNKY MUST BE TIMELESS AND DEEP

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    anyone else digging this shit? maybe doc mccoy can talk about it. i like how diverse the sound of it is.

& that crazy cousinz branding noise is still cool to me. 'inflation' is the shit

I have to say I'm not all that up on a lot of the micro-genres that keep springing up on the house scene over here. It's very much something that the young 'uns are into, and not only do I no longer really frequent the kind of spots where they play this stuff, but I'm generally the kind of house dude who'd much sooner bump 15-year-old Terrance Parker records anyway. I do like that Kyla thing, though, and, to the extent that I am aware of that scene, it does tend to fairly typically reflect the UK tendency to throw a bunch of different shit in the pot, style-wise - dancehall, r&b, pop, UK 'garridge' - and produce something with a distinctly local flavour.

• MJ Cole might not fit in here a 100% but he made some great songs.

Peace,

Dress

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this type of music actually referred to as "Funky" - like that's the name of the "genre" if that's what you want to call it.

yeah, it's like the house part is implied...

good mix of stuff taken from pirate radio tapes here:

http://grievousangel.net/GAMixes/FunkyManifesto.mp3

this is coming from less of the poppy/glossy side of things and more from the percussion heavy vibe.... the guy who compiled this stuff is a dubstep producer, so there you go...

Cooly G is the shit.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I saw A Guy Called Gerald drop a set almost identical to the Fuzzy Logic. Back in about 94. When he was opening for Goldie. Anyone else cop?

The Omar stuff I know, but would not classify as "Broken" in, I dunno, the Ealing sense of the word. When I think "Broken" I think about the Bugz/Neon Phusion stuff - real science beats. The Omar and that Donaeo business still have, to me, a kind of soca/bloco vibe to them - the beat is still too "Human" to be a broken.

I still think there is unfilled space between where broken tails off and Steve Coleman/MBASE step in. Steve Williamson had a go, check "Journey to Truth" which IMHO is one of the best UK discs of the 90s, any genre.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    IMO that's not House music.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    making a thread on soulstrut about 'funky music' is a recipe for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    IMO that's not House music.
    dont care what u think

they play this w/ house music & some of the songs they use in mixes are str8 up house music ... ive been listening to some marcus nasty mixes & theyre way fun. theyll have mcs spitting quaint british party rhymes over 'mirror dance' which is a house track ... i dunno what other kind of music you would call this other than house

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i dunno what other kind of music you would call this other than house

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    postmodern house lol

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    postmodern house lol

Haha....

Post-House???

I would call any of the stuff listed as House Music.

Yes it can get played w/in House Music sets but...

• fuzzy logik is jams for sure. british dudes love over singing

Symbols & Instruments + Rozalla. From when Ibeefa was real man. You know around 94.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

When I think "Broken" I think about the Bugz/Neon Phusion stuff - real science beats. The Omar and that Donaeo business still have, to me, a kind of soca/bloco vibe to them - the beat is still too "Human" to be a broken.

definitely...

west london grown n sexy (bugz) vs east london kids music (donaeo et all)

the funky stuff i like sounds like grime at 125bpm, stuff like this: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=FB01B

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i dunno what other kind of music you would call this other than house

All this shit is really just a development of that whole "UK garridge" thing that emerged in the mid-90s over here. The big influences on that scene were people like Todd Edwards, Mark Kinchin, MAW, Sneak, Murk, Lenny Fontana or Armand Van Helden, all of whom I'd regard as essentially house dudes. It's certainly closer to house than to anything else; in fact, musically speaking, it's a lot closer to my definition of house music than most of what's come out of all those vaguely-related UK micro-scenes for quite a long time.

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts

F*ck all micro-genres.

"mirror dance" is some grade A schitt though...

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    pajshing tiger blurp to the thread. report immediately!

btw, i never seen that "do you mind" video. that kyla is beautiful!

pajshing tiger blurp to the thread. report immediately!

Or alternatively Aser.

Headz are not knowing the deal.

Most of these comments = Fakeass Nickname talking about rap.