Rep your favorite Steely Dan album

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Dan haters need not apply. Lately been on a big kick of much of the Steely product, but still gotta go with:Pretty much an end-to-end burner for me, with "Hey Nineteen," "Glamour Profession" and "Time Out of Mind" being the real highlights; the Knopfler solo and Michael McDonald backing vocals really do it on that last one. I never heard "The Second Arrangement" tune that supposedly was erased by an engineer. Is it good?

Comments

• Between

and

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• Gotta go with Aja or Royal Scam.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Cheating, but I'll take this over any single Dan album
    Regular rotation in the whip
    5 cd changer-R

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I never heard "The Second Arrangement" tune that supposedly was erased by an engineer. Is it good?

Royal Scam is my fave SD album. So so complete; the songs seem thematically linked, in my mind at least.

The Second Arrangement is very good. I heard a rough mixdown of the full-band version - not just the piano version that is much easier to find on the 'netz- of TSA on some fansite a long time ago). In my mind, the Gaucho album always felt one song short. Had the full-band version of TSA survived, Gaucho would be my fave SD album.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Must admit I haven't listened to much Steely Dan since the yacht rock binge listening that went on in 07/08. But as cliched as it is, you can't fusk with Aja.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Aja

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Some kid is always discovering Steely Dan and it makes me happy and proves their uniqueness and gtfo with that yacht rock crap.
    I heard 'Dirty Work' today in the dentists chair and couldn't have been happier.

• hard to believe but:

• Aja. Katy.

Aja is simply overwhelming track to track. Deacon Blues. Peg. Josie. Black Cow.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I heard 'Dirty Work' today in the dentists chair and couldn't have been happier.

That track alone makes Can't Buy A Thrill their best.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts

I always wondered why tf they chose this cover. This could so easily be one of those facebook/flickr random album covers...

My vote goes to Aja with Scam a close second.

• Aja is simply overwhelming track to track. Deacon Blues. Peg. Josie. Black Cow.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Cheating, but I'll take this over any single Dan album
    Regular rotation in the whip
    5 cd changer-R

Yeah, that is a truly essential box set. I have all the o.g. vinyl except "Gaucho", but you really need the whole lot, and where better to find it?

As for favourite albums, I like 'em all to varying degrees, but Countdown To Ecstasy and The Royal Scam have never let me down.

Props also to Cosmo for posting that "Live At The Record Plant" bootleg on Record Day a couple of years ago - that still gets major iPod bumpage.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i could drive around listening to steely dan all damn day. love4ever. how bout those drum fills at the beginning of 'king of the world'?

and 'green earring'??? i lovvvve... i used to go back and forth with the 'theme from swat' break and the intro to green earring and then let that song kick in after a few back and forths, it's so good.

and i love how half of their songs are about calling bullshit on peoples antics: dirty work, kid charlemagne, my old school, any major dude.....

when i used to live on west 10th street i was sitting on my stoop eating ice cream with my friend katie and fagen walks by and i dropped my ice cream to go talk to him. he was with a woman about his same age and he introduced me and said this is my dear old friend margaret. he was walking her home. we talked for a few minutes then he said some funny shit and declared that he was 'nobody'.
    later that night i woke up in the middle of sleeping to realize that......

margaret was maybe........ PEG?

??????

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The inclusion of "Doctor Wu" puts this over the top, nudging out "Pretzel Logic" and "Aja", whiche are in a tie for 2nd with me.

Honorable mention is "FM", far and away my favorite Steely Dan single. Hearing this on late 70s actual late night FM radio was magic that you just had to be there to really appreciate.

• The inclusion of "Doctor Wu" puts this over the top, nudging out "Pretzel Logic" and "Aja", whiche are in a tie for 2nd with me.

Honorable mention is "FM", far and away my favorite Steely Dan single. Hearing this on late 70s actual late night FM radio was magic that you just had to be there to really appreciate.

Years ago (like maybe 1981) I had a 12" single of FM with various mixes/instros. Long lost to the ages now....

The inclusion of "Doctor Wu" puts this over the top, nudging out "Pretzel Logic" and "Aja", whiche are in a tie for 2nd with me.

Years ago (like maybe 1981) I had a 12" single of FM with various mixes/instros. Long lost to the ages now....

I have never seen a Steely Dan 12", but assumed they must have had some promo items at least. Was this an official release do you you recall?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I always wondered why tf they chose this cover.

'Tis a picture of a Katydid, and ties in with the album title in a (non-funny) punning way.

Or possibly not.

Donald Fagen to speak on it!

• The inclusion of "Doctor Wu" puts this over the top, nudging out "Pretzel Logic" and "Aja", whiche are in a tie for 2nd with me.

I have never seen a Steely Dan 12", but assumed they must have had some promo items at least. Was this an official release do you you recall?

I think it was a legit promo. I bought it in a record store in downtown Newark, NJ on my way home from college. I'm pretty sure the place was there to service DJs (mostly 12"). There was the regular radio version of 'FM', and extended mix and an intrumental. I think (not positive) that there was one other non-FM Steely Dan song on the b-side.

I think it was a legit promo. I bought it in a record store in downtown Newark, NJ on my way home from college. I'm pretty sure the place was there to service DJs (mostly 12"). There was the regular radio version of 'FM', and extended mix and an intrumental. I think (not positive) that there was one other non-FM Steely Dan song on the b-side.

12"s from that era seem either plentiful enough to fill a dump, or elusive enough to wonder if they were actually real. A friend of mine, who grew up in Brooklyn in the same era, told me a story about how he went out and bought the Toto 'Africa' 12", which allegedly had a mindblowing percussion breakdown, but about a block away from the store, had mixed feelings and turned around and returned it to get some other (now common) 12" he wanted instead. He still asks me to keep an eye out as he was never able to secure a copy after that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Aja is simply overwhelming track to track. Deacon Blues. Peg. Josie. Black Cow.

That really is a hell of an album.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    'Tis a picture of a Katydid

Not a word I was familiar with until today. Now my Tettigoniidae game is real strong, son. BIGGUP yaself, seen?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

That's mine. It was the album that introduced me to them, and thus is a personal favorite. The quad mix is nice too.