...which Muddy Waters LP?

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
can you recommend me some must have Muddy Waters LP's?i only have the Electric Mud but i really enjoy it! anything compareable??

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Any compilation of his singles from the fifties and sixties, like Rolling Stone, The Best Of Muddy Waters, McKinley Morganfield A/K/A Muddy Waters, The Real Folk Blues, More Real Folk Blues, etc.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Like Pickwick I suggest you check out his earlier stuff for the really real deal on Muddy but I think you're looking for his After The Rain LP, a favorite of mine.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    After the Rain definitely

Like Pickwick I suggest you check out his earlier stuff for the really real deal on Muddy but I think you're looking for his After The Rain LP, a favorite of mine.

If you're looking for psychedelic Muddy, he really only did two albums in that vein, Electric Mud and After The Rain. But if you have a taste for authentic blues, just about any compilation of earlier sides will do (that stuff was reissued about a thousand times).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Which Muddy LP? All of them!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Most overlooked Muddy lp is the Woodstock Album.
    I think this is his last Chess lp.
    It is top notch and stands up to repeated listenings.

Unlike other later Muddy records this is not a rehash of his greatest hits. [Not that there is anything wrong with that.]
    Nor is it an attempt to update his sound.

Very few bad Muddy lps. Muddy & Brass might deserve a pass.

Hard Again on Blue Sky sounded good to me last time I listened. Latter Blue Sky lps are not as good.

The Library Of Congress recordings are also great.
    I think one is called On Stovall's Plantation.

Hard Again on Blue Sky sounded good to me last time I listened. Latter Blue Sky lps are not as good.

I kinda liked the Blue Sky albums, although you're right, Hard Again is clearly the best of his four LP's on that label. He went out the right way. (The worst, IMO, is I'm Ready, which is basically leftovers from the Hard Again sessions...not bad, just dull, from what I remember.)

I kinda liked the Blue Sky albums, although you're right, Hard Again is clearly the best of his four LP's on that label. He went out the right way. (The worst, IMO, is I'm Ready, which is basically leftovers from the Hard Again sessions...not bad, just dull, from what I remember.)
    Yeah, Hard Again is tight, King Bee isn't bad either. But then I'll even listen to Brass & The Blues on the right day.

• thanks a lot guys!

that helps a lot. now i have manage to get some of your recommendations...

Yeah, Hard Again is tight, King Bee isn't bad either. But then I'll even listen to Brass & The Blues on the right day.

I also like the Johnny Winter lp Nothin But The Blues which is Muddy's band from the Hard Again session and Muddy on one track.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    As it usually goes with Most mentions of electric Mud on ths site, Howlin' wolfs Cadet Concept LP and his Message to the Young" are also recommended

I also like the Johnny Winter lp Nothin But The Blues which is Muddy's band from the Hard Again session and Muddy on one track.
    Agreed, that one is also good.

• minimini 879 Posts
    As it usually goes with Most mentions of electric Mud on ths site, Howlin' wolfs Cadet Concept LP and his Message to the Young" are also recommended

Howlin?? Wolf??s Message to the young is damn good. I found copy of it quite recently.

• hey folks!

i have a question about Electric Mud...

must have been at least three times that i read the album was re-recorded with artists like Common and Chuck D

is that true? does anyone of you know something abut that?

as best as i can tell, common and chuck d did a hip-hop version of a muddy waters song for that PBS miniseries about the blues that ran on television some years back. they used the original musicians from the Electric Mud album.

i think they just did the one song and it wound up on the soundtrack to that same special. i think that's as far as it went.

oh, and another thing - the summer before the special actually ran, chuck d performed with the Electric Mud band at the Chicago Blues Festival.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    can you recommend me some must have Muddy Waters LP's?

• now i bought the Woodstock LP...really nice!

how about the "Unk" in Funk LP?
    anyone heard this? is it recommended??

if anyone wants to sell or trade the Howlin Wolf new album PM's are welcome

• ^^^

got myself a copy of the "Unk In Funk" and it's much better than the "Woodtock Album"...highly recommended!!

• does anyone know about the different covers of Electric Mud on Cadet Concept?

which came first? the black or the white?

does anyone know about the different covers of Electric Mud on Cadet Concept?

I think they came out simultaneously (ala the different covers for the Rolling Stones' Some Girls).

I think they came out simultaneously (ala the different covers for the Rolling Stones' Some Girls).

I've never heard that there was any hype around the different covers.
    Stones and Zep fans would buy extra copies to get the variations, but Muddy fans?

At any rate, forget the cover color, what you want is the book that came with it.

Stones and Zep fans would buy extra copies to get the variations, but Muddy fans?

Well, Muddy's REAL fans weren't ABOUT to buy Electric Mud, anyway, so you'd best believe they were trying to target the Stones audience. (Led Zeppelin hadn't come out yet.)

Well, Muddy's REAL fans weren't ABOUT to buy Electric Mud, anyway, so you'd best believe they were trying to target the Stones audience. (Led Zeppelin hadn't come out yet.)

No, I understand that.

What I meant was the Stones and Zep had first release cover variations for the purpose of creating buzz, and selling extra copies. The release of these variations was hyped.

I don't think the Muddy cover variations were hyped.
    I don't think the purpose of the variations was to create buzz or sell extra copies.

I still don't know why there are the variations.
    Just a quirk of different pressing plants and poor product control is my guess.

If the reason is hype, there should be some documentation of that.
    I have yet to see it.

• jazzmackjazzmack 26 Posts
    You might wanna check out Blues Fathers and Sons as well as Muddy Waters Live both on chess

No, I understand that.

What I meant was the Stones and Zep had first release cover variations for the purpose of creating buzz, and selling extra copies. The release of these variations was hyped.

I don't think the purpose of the variations was to create buzz or sell extra copies.

I have yet to see it.

I understand. Definitely not saying you're wrong.

But, personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be a hype.

I know that labels weren't in the habit of doing that back then, but Marshall Chess (who masterminded the project) always did seem like an out-and-out huckster, as far as marketing goes.

Knowing that "anything went" with the hippie generation (which he was a part of), Marshall probably figured he was going to get as absurd as he could while he could get away with it. Witness the gatefold cover featuring Muddy wearing a long robe and sandals. And then there were the timings of the songs. Instead of saying that this song was "3:51" or that song was "2:45," those timings were listed as "251 seconds," "281 seconds." etc..

So as ridiculous as the rest of the package is, it wouldn't surprise me if the different color covers were part of the plan.

Just a guess, mind you. As you said, it could also be a pressing-plant quirk (ala the two covers of Ike Turner's Black Man's Soul).

• You might wanna check out Blues Fathers and Sons as well as Muddy Waters Live both on chess

thanks Jazzmack, i will do!

the first disappointing Muddy album i was listening to is Mud In Your Ear...i don't get this LP, is that really Muddy singing and playing on this one? sonds really strange in my opinion...

• does anyone know about the different covers of Electric Mud on Cadet Concept?

No, I understand that.

I have yet to see it.

I know that labels weren't in the habit of doing that back then, but Marshall Chess (who masterminded the project) always did seem like an out-and-out huckster, as far as marketing goes.

Knowing that "anything went" with the hippie generation (which he was a part of), Marshall probably figured he was going to get as absurd as he could while he could get away with it. Witness the gatefold cover featuring Muddy wearing a long robe and sandals. And then there were the timings of the songs. Instead of saying that this song was "3:51" or that song was "2:45," those timings were listed as "251 seconds," "281 seconds." etc..

So as ridiculous as the rest of the package is, it wouldn't surprise me if the different color covers were part of the plan.

Just a guess, mind you. As you said, it could also be a pressing-plant quirk (ala the two covers of Ike Turner's Black Man's Soul).

i really don't have a clue what how it was supposed to be meant but only now i discovered a third cover variation for the UK market!

No, I understand that.

I have yet to see it.

i really don't have a clue what how it was supposed to be meant but only now i discovered a third cover variation for the UK market!

and to confuse thangs further, there is a fourth version

when All Platinum owned Chess, they put it out without the gatefold (and the picture on the back was in B&W rather than color)

the first disappointing Muddy album i was listening to is Mud In Your Ear...i don't get this LP, is that really Muddy singing and playing on this one? sonds really strange in my opinion...

This album was originally released in the sixties as by Luther Johnson on the Douglas label.

Johnson was a member of Waters' band; matter of fact, Waters is playing on this LP.

Around '73 or so, Muse Records reissued it under Muddy's name.

No, I understand that.

I have yet to see it.

Makes sense. Could even be on some tricking people into thinking it's a different lp and buying it again.

What's the deal with Black Man's Soul?