cocaine about to get expensive again in Europe

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Only months after the death of former president Conte and the military coup in Guinea, Joao Bernado Vieira, a former close friend of Conte and longtime president of neighboring tiny country Guinea-Bissao has been shot by members of the army.Guinea has seen the arrest of many of the countries richest people in recent weeks and the government controlled TV station airs daily reports where former government members and Conte family members (often both...) get interviewed about their involvment in the drug trade. Numbers still differ but it is safe to assume that Guinea's cocaine trafficking has in recent years even overshadowed that of Guinea-Bissao which transfered a conservatively estimated yearly quantity of arond 300 tons from small planes headed from South America into trucks, cars and fishing boats destined for Europe.Two of president Conte's 4 wifes even built small airports outside of the capital to welcome Sout American planes that strictly landed at night.Conte's son Ousmane was a man of many talents who ran an infamous nightclub around the corner from our former house in Conakry and not only made himself a name by trafficking people from Pakistan as well as cocaine from South America into Europe but also commanded a special unit in the army which gained notoriety by killing dozens of protesters in the 2007 street riots. He also dealt in scrap metal. Once he was caught trying to ship a 40 foot container filled with aluminum coins to China because the worth of the material was much higher than the monetary value. He also tore down the countries railroad system, built by former colonial power France and sold rails to the Chinese by the boat load. Now Ousmane is rumored to have died from an unpleasant mix of week-long police torture and drug withdrawal. Sometimes, there is a glimpse of justice I guess, even in West Africa.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Now Ousmane is rumored to have died from an unpleasant mix of week-long police torture and drug withdrawal.

Man and I thought I was having a rough week

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Yeah west Africa is really falling apart.b,121b,121Mauritania, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, the north of Mali is causing problems, and regional elections due in Senegal later in March are going to get nasty in a few areas I suspect, not to mention the next round of presidential elections. That shit is going to be a disaster I'm telling you now.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121. Sometimes, there is a glimpse of justice I guess, even in West Africa. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I dont know about that, sounds like a case of changing one set of thugs for another. I doubt whoever ends up filling the power vacuum will abstain from doing the same, most likey they will keep using the existing networks etc.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yeah west Africa is really falling apart.

Mauritania, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, the north of Mali is causing problems, and regional elections due in Senegal later in March are going to get nasty in a few areas I suspect, not to mention the next round of presidential elections. That shit is going to be a disaster I'm telling you now.

i know wade is gonna cause a lot of beef
    senegal was the last stable haven
    with all these recent evets and the ongoign problems on the ivory coast the west african region will be in trouble in the copming years

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Mauritania, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, the north of Mali is causing problems, and regional elections due in Senegal later in March are going to get nasty in a few areas I suspect, not to mention the next round of presidential elections. That shit is going to be a disaster I'm telling you now.

with all these recent evets and the ongoign problems on the ivory coast the west african region will be in trouble in the copming years

The situation in Guinea-Bissao might get better after the death of Vieira, can't get much worse than before, that's for sure and it's also good to have him out of the picture because of his strong ties to the Conte family.
    "Capitaine" Dadis who after the military coup in Guinea has taken over power seems pretty cool actually. He's made it clear from the beginning that he's only going to lead the country through a transitional period until elections can take place and he's made very drastic steps to clear up the country's crippling corruption while on the other hand allowing the unions and various former opositional groups to become active. There's at least some reason for careful optimism.

The north of Mali has been in and out of trouble for over 10 years now so there's hardly anything new.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

The situation in Guinea-Bissao might get better after the death of Vieira, can't get much worse than before, that's for sure and it's also good to have him out of the picture because of his strong ties to the Conte family.
    "Capitaine" Dadis who after the military coup in Guinea has taken over power seems pretty cool actually. He's made it clear from the beginning that he's only going to lead the country through a transitional period until elections can take place and he's made very drastic steps to clear up the country's crippling corruption while on the other hand allowing the unions and various former opositional groups to become active. There's at least some reason for careful optimism.

The north of Mali has been in and out of trouble for over 10 years now so there's hardly anything new.

What was the cain' trade like in Benin, Frank? Were police involved in racketeering? The answer has to be yes.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    there is profound tragedy in the history of Africa and in the huge gap between possibility and reality there. Nowhere else in the world has so much misery existed in a place where so much bounty is possible. A friend of mine, having just read yet another awful African story (about what i forget exactly but something all too frequently seen like mutilation, child soldiers, vile corruption or poisoned medicine or some such terrible thing), said "I dont mean to sound like a dick, but I think God hates Africa. Why cant they catch a break?" It's truly sad. And yet i know theres a lot of greatness there in spite of the problems. I hope it prevails.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

What was the cain' trade like in Benin, Frank? Were police involved in racketeering? The answer has to be yes.

... did you hear some of those crazy stories, or why are you asking?
    There was plenty of stuff going down in Benin and most probably still is.
    Police shooting up boats and coke packages washing on shore where villagers grab them and selling shit in bricks out of houses... sometimes the police would clear out the boats first, then fire bomb them and claim that the entire bounty got lost in the flames...

Must be a problem all along the coast.
    One of the craziest things is that in Ghana, they even started the local production and street sale of crack about two years ago.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

... did you hear some of those crazy stories, or why are you asking?

just curious is all, in your adventures of digging there you had to encounter the exchanges in the confines of your record dealing. It had to go with the territory.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Do you think the piracy thing will be expanding into these regions too?