R.I.P. Paul Harvey

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Radio Legend Paul Harvey DiesThe "most listened to man" in broadcasting passed away Saturday. After more than seven decades on the air, venerable radioman Paul Harvey's folksy speech and plain talk are no more.Radio legend passes away at 90.Harvey died at the age of 90 at a hospital near his winter home in Phoenix.His death came nine months after that of his wife, Lynne Cooper Harvey, whom he often called "Angel" on air, and who was also his business partner and the first producer ever inducted in the the Radio Hall of Fame. She died in May 2008 at age 92."My father and mother created from thin air what one day became radio and television news," Paul Harvey Jr. said Saturday. "So, in the past year, an industry has lost its godparents. And, today millions have lost a friend."Harvey's career in radio spanned more than 70 years, and his shows "News & Comment" and "Rest of the Story" made him a familiar voice in Americans' homes across the country.From his humble beginnings as a teenager helping out cleaning up at a local radio station, Harvey went on to have his broadcasts carried by 1,350 commercial radio stations, as well as 400 stations of the Armed Forces Radio Service, and he was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1990.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Supposedly he invented the terms "Reaganomics" and "skyjacker."

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    He was as good as it gets at stretching things out. I remember waiting at a service station while the attendants were listening to a point in his monologue. that was three minutes of my life I will never get back.

If this thread gets enough replies, then it would be time for "and now ....page two"

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    he could spin a tale. and what a voice.

rest in peace.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    When I was a kid, I'd go fishing with my Grandfather at the mouth of the Sabine river and Paul Harvey was always playing on the boat. They guy would sell anything.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    wow. i used to drive a 66 new yorker that only had AM, so i'd listen to oldies stations and i'd hear ol paul every day on the way home from work... RIP.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    he could spin a tale. and what a voice.

rest in peace.