electrical repair in LA?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I have a portable turntable that needs some electronics work on it (I think the power network is faulty) - anyone have any suggestions? Or should I craigslist/yellow page it?

Comments

• I had some new RCA cables installed in my 1200. This is the guy in redondo beach:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/1051609046.html

very reasonable, so might wanna see if he can help. Mine was more of a solder job though.

Also his place is literally floor to ceiling with electronics from the past 50 years that probably need repair

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i got a ton of portables that need varying degrees of repair...is it plausbile to learn how to do this stuff? these machines arent exactly nuclear powered submarines.someone needs to make an internet site with basic repair pictorial intructions

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had some new RCA cables installed in my 1200. This is the guy in redondo beach:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/1051609046.html

very reasonable, so might wanna see if he can help. Mine was more of a solder job though.

Also his place is literally floor to ceiling with electronics from the past 50 years that probably need repair

This sounds excellent, thanks - I just wrote him.

And I think my issue might be soldering - the portable I have used to work fine but now it's not responding to me turning the power on. I bet it's something very simple but I have zero experience working with these things so it's better to bring in a pro.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    numark portable???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nope, one of these:

I've had one for years but it had been shelved and right now, it's not operating on battery power so I think there's probably some wiring issue.

It's a very very cool portable though functionality-wise, it's not fusking with my Soundburger.

• Talking of portable repair, does anyone know anything about GP-3's? mine's been cutting in and out lately, I suspect it's loose wiring but i'm too nervous to open it up in case I damage my favourite toy!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    i got a ton of portables that need varying degrees of repair...is it plausbile to learn how to do this stuff? these machines arent exactly nuclear powered submarines.someone needs to make an internet site with basic repair pictorial intructions

Check your town for the local repair guys. Chances are there is a little asian repair guy who can make music with schematics.

- spidey