Free Association-Record Style

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I just thought of a cool exercise. Freudian therapists might have their clients state the first thing on their minds for insights into their psychological issues. I thought it might be fun to apply this to records (not for therapeutic reasons), but I'll list a record and then a fellow Strutter responds with her/his first thought, memory, etc. (be sure to quote the name of the record in your reply). Then, she/he adds on a record for another Strutter to respond to and so on. So, I'll start:-"El Baquine de Angelitos Negros"-Willie Colon.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I like this kind of exercise:

"El Baquine de Angelitos Negros"-Willie Colon.

"A T??bua de Esmeralda" - Jorge Ben

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I like this kind of exercise:

"El Baquine de Angelitos Negros"-Willie Colon.

"A T??bua de Esmeralda" - Jorge Ben

Hey Disco Che,

What was your thought on the Willie Colon record I posted?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, I think I misunderstood how this was supposed to work. I thought everybody has to post the first record that comes to ones mind when reading the post before and that the result is a chain of associated records.

But my first thought? I believe I immediately saw a picture of Willie Colon before me and I'm pretty sure it was this one:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Oh, I think I misunderstood how this was supposed to work. I thought everybody has to post the first record that comes to ones mind when reading the post before and that the result is a chain of associated records.

But my first thought? I believe I immediately saw a picture of Willie Colon before me and I'm pretty sure it was this one:

Hey Disco Che,

During your response, you're supposed to post the name of another record. Then, I hoped some other 'Strutter would respond with a comment (assuming he/she was familiar with the LP), then post a record, and so on. I guess the idea didn't take off. Oh well, it seemed like it would be fun in my head.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I guess the idea didn't take off. Oh well, it seemed like it would be fun in my head.

So I did hope. It's been a very long time since I was visiting SoulStrut regularly (4-5 years) and my impression is, there wasn't so much football and asscrack-cleaning before. More about records.

Hey,

I just thought of a cool exercise. Freudian therapists might have their clients state the first thing on their minds for insights into their psychological issues. I thought it might be fun to apply this to records (not for therapeutic reasons), but I'll list a record and then a fellow Strutter responds with her/his first thought, memory, etc. (be sure to quote the name of the record in your reply). Then, she/he adds on a record for another Strutter to respond to and so on. So, I'll start (with a different record since people may not have know the one I posted first):

-"Investigation #1"-Carl "Sherlock" Holmes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hey,

I just thought of a cool exercise. Freudian therapists might have their clients state the first thing on their minds for insights into their psychological issues. I thought it might be fun to apply this to records (not for therapeutic reasons), but I'll list a record and then a fellow Strutter responds with her/his first thought, memory, etc. (be sure to quote the name of the record in your reply). Then, she/he adds on a record for another Strutter to respond to and so on. So, I'll start (with a different record since people may not have know the one I posted first):

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I have yet to hear the whole 'Investigation #1' album, but Carl Holmes is one of my all time fave Philly musicians, mainly because he pops up on the reg from the early 60s to the early 70s, recording everything from rocking R&B to sweet soul to hard assed funk, but never seemed to make the breakthrough. A few years ago I was reading a memoir by one of the guys that wrote Animal House and it turns out that Carl Holmes and the Commanders were one of the real bands that Otis Day and the Knights were based on...

Next... Love 'Da Capo'....[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Investigation #1"-Carl "Sherlock" Holmes.

I have yet to hear the whole 'Investigation #1' album, but Carl Holmes is one of my all time fave Philly musicians, mainly because he pops up on the reg from the early 60s to the early 70s, recording everything from rocking R&B to sweet soul to hard assed funk, but never seemed to make the breakthrough. A few years ago I was reading a memoir by one of the guys that wrote Animal House and it turns out that Carl Holmes and the Commanders were one of the real bands that Otis Day and the Knights were based on...

Next... Love 'Da Capo'....[/b]

One of the greatest one-sided elpees in the history of history. The only thing unique about Side Two is that it was the first rock song ("Revelations") to cover a whole side of an album, before "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." At least Arthur Lee can say he was the first to do it.

But the side that gets the most spins from me is Side One. The songs are experimental, yet concise. No "jamming fever" here.

Next...Valerie Simpson's Exposed.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'm not sure this is within the boundaries, but I'd also like to comment on "Investigation #1": it's definitely one of the most consistent LPs out there among these Holy Grailish records. The reworking of "Close to You" is fantastic, and I also like "Modessa" as a nice uptempo track. But really, every track is great. Much like, a more common favorite of mine...