Options

45's

edited February 2009 in Strut Central
45's are a tougher game because they just have two tracks so you need more of them to have the same amount of songs in your archive. Ex: 3 Lps on the shelf each with 10 tracks = 30 tracks...say each track 4 min. As opposed to 15 45's in a little shoe box, each with 2 tracks. Now, the 45s will get flipped through way more and this will make them harder to keep in order. When they get out of order, I have noticed, they are more prone to get damaged. But, sometimes easier to access, say in a mix, although sometimes way harder too. When going through a lot I sometimes take like 2 months. First I pull a box for myself from the pile. Then, I half the pile into "hard sell" and "easy sell". Next, I make the hard sell. After it is complete I give the buyer a couple LPs. Then, I organize the "easy sellers" and invite the DJs over. Try to sell as cheap as possible to the DJs. Finally, pull a few out for storage and off the load to break even plus a good meal!!Hope this helps, tips and stories welcome, happy 45ing!

Comments

• i don't quite understand what your saying but 45's are awesome, a lot of good music on 45's that can't be found on an lp

• Options
    agreed

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    45's dont smell as nice as old lp's though

• Options
    try to avoid smelling old records...who know what that funk is....could be asbestos or something ngl.

if the smell is real bad, then just clean it --> play it!!!

i like to live on the edge though

• Options
    golden state?..j/k

no i am from adelaide

boom boom

thanks i will be here every night this week try the buffet its

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    45's are a tougher game because they just have two tracks so you need more of them to have the same amount of songs in your archive. Ex: 3 Lps on the shelf each with 10 tracks = 30 tracks...say each track 4 min. As opposed to 15 45's in a little shoe box, each with 2 tracks. Now, the 45s will get flipped through way more and this will make them harder to keep in order. When they get out of order, I have noticed, they are more prone to get damaged. But, sometimes easier to access, say in a mix, although sometimes way harder too.
    When going through a lot I sometimes take like 2 months. First I pull a box for myself from the pile. Then, I half the pile into "hard sell" and "easy sell". Next, I make the hard sell. After it is complete I give the buyer a couple LPs. Then, I organize the "easy sellers" and invite the DJs over. Try to sell as cheap as possible to the DJs. Finally, pull a few out for storage and off the load to break even plus a good meal!!

Hope this helps, tips and stories welcome, happy 45ing!

WTF are you talking about??

• Options
    records

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    45's are a tougher game because they just have two tracks so you need more of them to have the same amount of songs in your archive. Ex: 3 Lps on the shelf each with 10 tracks = 30 tracks...say each track 4 min. As opposed to 15 45's in a little shoe box, each with 2 tracks. Now, the 45s will get flipped through way more and this will make them harder to keep in order. When they get out of order, I have noticed, they are more prone to get damaged. But, sometimes easier to access, say in a mix, although sometimes way harder too.
    When going through a lot I sometimes take like 2 months. First I pull a box for myself from the pile. Then, I half the pile into "hard sell" and "easy sell". Next, I make the hard sell. After it is complete I give the buyer a couple LPs. Then, I organize the "easy sellers" and invite the DJs over. Try to sell as cheap as possible to the DJs. Finally, pull a few out for storage and off the load to break even plus a good meal!!

best use of commas I have seen in a while!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Dude, I love 45s more than the average record fanatic, but I still have no idea what on earth you are talking about.

• Looks a hell of a lot like Google Language Tools / Translation gone wrong...

• Options
    why so negative?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I'm not sure what you're saying either, but 45's are not albums, but they are records, so treat them the same way you treat LP's. They are two different beasts, but both supply great music for different reasons.

• They are also usually cheaper than LPs depending on what and where you buy. I'd say I've bought more 45s on a whim and been pleasantly surprised than with LPs.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    45s are good. So are LPs. Records in general is a good thing. They have often beautiful pictures on the outside and there even is music inside if you have a machine to make records do music. In LPs I like more that I can see the pictures better but 45s are smaller which makes them easier to carry. Hm, I like records very much, I guess.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    45s also require adapters on your turntables. Those are rather difficult to file, and can become expensive if you want the original vintage kind, but plastic ones will damage plastic sleeves so I don't use plastic sleeves or plastic 45 adapters. I do use different adapters depending on whether I'm playing the A side of a 45 or the B side of a 45, 45 singles are really cool though and I like to invite my friends over to listen to them with me and sometimes I even sell them, but more of them should have picture sleeves like they do have more of them in Europe. I don't live in Europe but pictures on 45s are nice too. the easiest thing I've found to do is store my 45s in a box, or multiple boxes, but only multiple boxes for the broken 45s. Who else likes 45?

Who else likes 45?

Me!!!!

more of them should have picture sleeves like they do have more of them in Europe. I don't live in Europe but pictures on 45s are nice too.

I live in Europe that's why I have so many 45s with pictures but I would like to have more 45s as big as LPs to see the pictures in big. Is there such a thing?

I'm also interested which side of a 45 is better in your opinion: A-Side or B-Side? Please vote.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Like them small, like them big (as long as there??s good stuff inside).

• Options

personally

and as far as scratching goes...45 snares got POP!

I love 45s and LPs!!!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    You guys still listen to records?

You guys still listen to records?

Yes, and I'm surprised to find so many other people who actually like records on this site.
    I like food, too.

Compact Cassettes

I like them because they are smaller then 8 tracks or LPs but you can put more songs in it. You can fit 26 Songs in an average compact cassette which makes app. 90 minutes. An LP is just half of that but you can't put only tracks you like on the LP. If you count 2 good songs per LP, one compact cassette equals 13 records. So if you bring 20 cassettes to the gig you don't have to carry 260 LPs (or 130 45s if you assume both sides of all of them are killer, which they're probably not).
    On the downside cassettes have to be winded to get to the exact song you like to listen. But girls (of the romatic/indie/unconventional type) will like it, when you give them cassette. I like 8 tracks and cassettes and 45s. Cassettes can be stored easily in shoeboxes, or stacks. Extra Plus: You can read the titles on the back. Extra minus: If the tape is torn or wrinkled all the music is gone.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts