A Marilyn Manson Top 10 Playlist

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
This is just IMHO and from the first three albums. What are your selections?

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Very cute.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I ain't come to look cute.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    He really has a song called "Cake and Sodomy"?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    He really has a song called "Cake and Sodomy"?

Yes. I played it in the car with my dad once and it was awkward.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Noz, can you talk about real music like the new Clipse album that will be dropping soon?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    No.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Unless they flip a "Dope Show" sample.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Marilyn Manson shoulda killed himself ages ago... and taken that cunt from Korn with him! He is camp theatre/superficial spectacle and not a musician IMO...

• Options
    Marilyn Manson shoulda killed himself ages ago... and taken that cunt from Korn with him! He is camp theatre/superficial spectacle and not a musician IMO...

Bathe thine self in this knowledge and thus be cleansed of ignorance.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    [scrap]Speak not on what you do not know.[/scrap]

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I don't like Manson's music at all, but there's always been room for camp theatre and superficial spectacle in rock music, and while I don't think he's all that great at that either, I wouldn't knock him for making it his USP.

• Not his biggest fan, but I'm glad he exists, mainly just to bait self-righteous xians.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I was hoping this would be a list of Marilyn Manson's top ten songs he's feeling right now. I have no clue what he must listen to. Private press boner jamz like everyone else?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't like Manson's music at all, but there's always been room for camp theatre and superficial spectacle in rock music, and while I don't think he's all that great at that either, I wouldn't knock him for making it his USP.

I don't think it's fair to act as if it's his primary calling card anymore than it was, say, Kiss' or anymore than NWA was shock rap or whatever. These are certainly parts of the puzzle, but all of these artists are more complex than that. I fail to see how spectacle in music automatically implicates the artist as a gimmick.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Since when has being a musician been the point of Rock and Roll?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Not his biggest fan, but I'm glad he exists, mainly just to bait self-righteous xians.

that's true but on the other hand, I pitty those poor kids who identify with this predictable, pretentious teenage angst color-by-numbers alternative pop. musically pretty boring and predictable, poor on substance and awkward in its pedastrian and clich??e-riddled attempts to be somehow shocking. A mouse on the kitchen floor would have more shock value to even the squarest of mothers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Not his biggest fan, but I'm glad he exists, mainly just to bait self-righteous xians.

that's true but on the other hand, I pitty those poor kids who identify with this predictable, pretentious teenage angst color-by-numbers alternative pop. musically pretty boring and predictable, poor on substance and awkward in its pedastrian and clich??e-riddled attempts to be somehow shocking. A mouse on the kitchen floor would have more shock value to even the squarest of mothers.

Well, the same was said about Alice Cooper and lots of other stuff that leaned heavily on the showbiz. And with Alice, eventually the showbiz overtook the quality of the tunes. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a thing of beauty when it all gelled. I agree with you that MM's schtick IS obvious to plenty of us, but don't underestimate the ability of American squares to be WILLFULLY shocked and appalled. They live for that, just as those angsty kids live to attempt to shock.

• Not his biggest fan, but I'm glad he exists, mainly just to bait self-righteous xians.

Shit, isn't that what being a teenager is all about? I mean, we're older than teenagers and (for the most part)have a better grasp of who we are, why we like things (aesthetically, that is)and they don't. Who here could really say that they figured everything thing out as a teenager and never changed their minds/opinions about music/politics/etc.? I enjoyed MM when I was a teen (mainly the first album)but I don't really ride or die for the dude.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Shit, isn't that what being a teenager is all about? I mean, we're older than teenagers and (for the most part)have a better grasp of who we are, why we like things (aesthetically, that is)and they don't. Who here could really say that they figured everything thing out as a teenager and never changed their minds/opinions about music/politics/etc.? I enjoyed MM when I was a teen (mainly the first album)but I don't really ride or die for the dude.

I don't know... i mean especially nowadays with all the information you could ever want at the fingertips of every kid, I just don't get it how kids can fall for something that cheap, fake and pathetic. I mean the music is basically just some uninspired and un-original re-packaging of stuff that's been done better and more exciting some ten years earlier by even such flat and tepid acts as Ministry or what else the indie-rock flavor of the month was at the time. It's just an insult to those who really pioneered this shit and did interesting and relevant work like Clint Ruin / Wiseblood / Foetus, Jesus Lizard or Birthday Party etc. and it goes to show just how completely ignoreworthy current "alternative" music and youth culture has become. Palsy, slightly obese shits with their striped leggins and selfdestructive ways to scratch their arms... what a waste!

hahaha... nothing better than a good rant to clear a hung-over head.

• I don't know... i mean especially nowadays with all the information you could ever want at the fingertips of every kid, I just don't get it how kids can fall for something that cheap, fake and pathetic. I mean the music is basically just some uninspired and un-original re-packaging of stuff that's been done better and more exciting some ten years earlier by even such flat and tepid acts as Ministry or what else the indie-rock flavor of the month was at the time. It's just an insult to those who really pioneered this shit and did interesting and relevant work like Clint Ruin / Wiseblood / Foetus, Jesus Lizard or Birthday Party etc. and it goes to show just how completely ignoreworthy current "alternative" music and youth culture has become. Palsy, slightly obese shits with their striped leggins and selfdestructive ways to scratch their arms... what a waste!

hahaha... nothing better than a good rant to clear a hung-over head.

Well, that's why youth is wasted on the young right?
    I feel you on the sentiment though...I'll find myself asking some of my students what they listen to and I always have to check myself from being the old man I remember from them days goin'"Music was better in my days, you kids don't get it blah blah blah." If they develop an appreciation for good music then they'll get it eventually, if not, we can always snidely remark about their listening habits on message boards.

that's true but on the other hand, I pitty those poor kids who identify with this predictable, pretentious teenage angst color-by-numbers alternative pop.

Aren't those kids grown up now? Wasn't MM big in the 90s? I don't think any youth see him as relevant anymore.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think it was more of a Marilyn Manson type jumpoff.

• I am confused.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I am confused.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,103092,00.html

CAM'RON: Columbine. Yes. You feel what I'm saying? I don't think they were listening to rap at all. I think that was more like a Marilyn Manson jump-off, you know, like...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Nothing like basing an argument about the state of popular youth music on Marilyn Manson, a man who hasn't been pretty much irrelevant for most of the decade and doesn't bear even the slightest similarity to the music most kids are actually listening to these days.

The mp3s of I>Mechanical Animals/I> that I downloaded were apparently ripped by someone named Emmanuel so the folder is titled I>Mechanical Animals By Emmanuel/I>.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    where is that article/story (or maybe it was the poster who wrote it) where marilyn manson goes around knocking door to door, in disbelief finding out that no one is any longer shocked by him? that was funny, i think someone posted it here or on waxidermy a couple of years ago.

• what no "lunchbox"? ha..

• where is that article/story (or maybe it was the poster who wrote it) where marilyn manson goes around knocking door to door, in disbelief finding out that no one is any longer shocked by him? that was funny, i think someone posted it here or on waxidermy a couple of years ago.

It was from The Onion.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    what no "lunchbox"? ha..

Yes "Lunchbox" would've been a strong contender for #11. It's a little too rap rock in retrospect but it definitely gets points for nostalgia and conceptual execution.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Id rather be known as the older brother from Mr Belvedre