Chase & Status feat. Kano - 'Against All Odds'

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I'm not one to chauvinistically champion UK rap for the sake of it, but this is pretty good.

Nothing groundbreaking or anything, and the video is a bit cheesy, but I like how it sounds like a bit of a throwback to the early days of UK hip-hop, when people over here had just discovered the UBBs and all those breaks hadn't yet become too played-out. Nice use of Lou Rawls' "Dead End Street", too.

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

There was a thread on this before, and I downloaded the song because of it. I wasn't really feeling the rest of the album. I like drum and bass just fine, it just wasn't doing it for me.

It's odd that they would not only release this as a single but also do a video for it if there's nothing else on the album that sounds like it. Oh well, it's a nice cut anyway.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ah, OK. It's just that it seems to be all over the radio right now, and I only heard it for the first time today.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    haha, it's cool. I'm always late on shit so I get a bit of joy from getting to hand out a latte pas.

There was resounding support for the song and video here, so no one's mad. I'm sure it's blowing up over there, but more americans will get up on it from seeing it here. It's all good.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I refrained from comment in the previous thread, but this is seriously in 2009.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, like I said, it isn't groundbreaking by any stretch, but nor does it sound too calculatedly retro. It sounds like what it is; a couple of drum & bass dudes doing something which sounds like the kind of hip-hop they came up listening to.

• that is pony, try this

• Options
    ^^^^
    Terrible....

But what do I know.

That Chase & Status track is fun.