non-traditional snacks that rock my world

whitelilywhitelily 155 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
My best friend Mandy's got a big vocabulary, but her favorite word is SNACKS. She talks about snacks 90% of the time. It's her favorite topic. Lucky for me Mandy and I are on the same weird diet and so we can eat weird snacks together. 1. Has anyone ever had popcorn with butter and lots of TAMARI? If you haven't you have to try. Put some garlic powder and a tiny bit of sea salt on it too and don't skimp on the butter! You should use wheat free tamari b/c there's really no point in having extra wheat in your tamari. Mmm. If you want to be extra hippy about it throw some nutritional yeast in there too. 2. carob chips. You can't eat just one bag. I like these better than chocolate chips and have been known to eat a pound in one sitting. 3. Hot cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat, quinoa flakes) with salt AND sugar (equal parts) then some butter, a few almonds (crushed up with a spoon) and a tiny bit of half and half on top. Good cooks know nothing goes hand in hand like salt n' sugar. 4. COFFEE (this should be number one).After you finish making your snacks, watch these:

Comments

• nutritionl yeast
    carob chips
    tamari
    quinoa flakes

lily plays the hippie card

• 1. Has anyone ever had popcorn with butter and lots of TAMARI? If you haven't you have to try. Put some garlic powder and a tiny bit of sea salt on it too and don't skimp on the butter! You should use wheat free tamari b/c there's really no point in having extra wheat in your tamari. Mmm. If you want to be extra hippy about it throw some nutritional yeast in there too.

Extra cheesy. Or a bit of this:

Oddly enough, it's vegetarian friendly and, after trying it, it is

• nutritionl yeast
    carob chips
    tamari
    quinoa flakes

lily plays the hippie card

Tone remember when we made that delicious curry spiced beans wrapped in wheat bread on the roadside next to your van? Those were some real good hobo beans.

• I WANT BACON SALT

• I get down with the cream of wheat, but I put in cinnamon and sugar and then splash on a big helping of cold apple sauce right in the middle. I had it as a kid and I still love it in a comfort food kind of way.

• Tone remember when we made that delicious curry spiced beans wrapped in wheat bread on the roadside next to your van? Those were some real good hobo beans.

On a related note, has anyone ever tried Hobo Soup?

• No, but it definitely looks interesting....what's in it?

• Kale chips

• had some vietnamese okra chips last night...damn good

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Fresh seaweed salad as a snack works for me every time. Spicy dried squid, and cassava chips too.

• also,they dont call it CRACK SEED for nothin

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Fresh seaweed salad

yes! many people (at work) are confused by this lol

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

The stadium should really be made of corn dogs, not Twinkies. Keep it savory.

• cucumber slices with chili powder and lots of lime juice
    jicama with chili powder and lots of lime juice
    pickled pork skins with avocado slices
    corn tortillas with avocado slices, lime, and salt.

not too sure how non-traditional these are though.

• I used to be really fond of Elmer's glue. Had to be Elmer's though, none of that generic Rose Art crap.

• Is that the same as this?

If so, yum! I call it squid jerky to gross out my sister.

Cuban snacks are my comfort foods.

pastelitos de guayaba

guava shells - with a slab of cream cheese - Ay, que rico!!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    i'm not filipino so uraro is non-traditional and I'm constantly foaming at the mouth from them

• BEST.SNACK.EVER.
    If you sliced me in half when I was a kid, I would've been 90% this.
    Chewing for DAYZ

• haha! my family would take yearly winter ski trips and this one time i busted out a bag of the shredded cuttlefish jerky on the plane to colorado and people complained so much the flight attendant asked us to seal the bag up.

• Haw Flakes are the bizznizz

• Is that the same as this?

If so, yum! I call it squid jerky to gross out my sister.

this is the form i prefer it in as well.

has any of youze tried the chinese style beef jerky? u can get it at any chinese market. they have flavors like XO, satay, fruit (which is surprisingly good), and various others. the jerky is very soft cuz they use that chemical tenderizer stuff on it or something like that cuz i can taste it. but still, the jerky is excellent and u dont have to gnaw on it like the leathery american variety. ees goood!

I used to be really fond of Elmer's glue. Had to be Elmer's though, none of that generic Rose Art crap.

I was always more of a paste man myself.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes on the plantain chips.

• an entire fried chicken

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    The fruit flavour jerky is the illest, it comes either in pressed form (rectangular) or pressed, which you tear apart in strands kinda. Both are great....

I remember back in the day there would be street hawkers in hk selling stinky squid. They would roast it over a charcoal fire to give it the smokey taste. They were usually placed outside movie theatres. Lots of couples on dates munching away, smooching away w/ their KILLER breath. Very high sodium content on them too, but I can't help myself. The drying heightens the umami flavours.

That stuff goes so well w/ a fizzy asian beer like tsing tao or asahi.

I've been kinda addicted to Hi-Chew's of late, the Japanese starbursts. Loving the mango, lemon too....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Chew

Making a snack from scratch? I would shave jerusalem artichokes on a mandolin and deep fry them. Toss liberally w/ some maldon salt right out of the deep fryer.

• +

Simple, spicy and effective.

I've been kinda addicted to Hi-Chew's of late, the Japanese starbursts. Loving the mango, lemon too....

HELL TO THE YES!! For months I have been meaning to dedicate a thread to these things, but figured the response would be lukewarm at best. Hi-Chew is the f*cking truth. Comparing them to Starbust is like comparing O'Douls to Saison Foret, shit is just on a whole different level.

I've had Grape, Kiwi, Lychee, Strawberry, Orange, Mango, Lemon, Pineapple, Apple, Golden Apple. Still need to try Cola and Peach yogurt. Pineapple and Golden Apple are where it's at for me, but I will demolish a pack of any flavor in minutes.

Grapefruit Hi-Chew is my #1 Holy Grail candy of all time. It was discontinued in 2007, I think, but I will seriously still take a pack of those to the head if I can ever manage to find them.