HELP SAVE DAPTONE!!!

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
As I'm sure you've all heard there was a burglary at the Daptone studios a little over a week ago. A substantial amount of their equipment was stolen. More here:http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2009/02/daptone_records.htmlAnyway, Daptone has set up a donation site through paypal. So while you're listening to the latest Sharon Jones track, buy those folks a beer and help them get back on their feet.Go to www.savedaptone.com to donate.Moderhaters, any chance we could get this stickies?

Comments

• Someone stole their bank accounts too?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Don't know anything about that. I'm guessing it will be a week or longer before the losses have been fully itemized.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    jesus, no alarm? Never seen the game played so badly.

• inside job

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    jesus, no alarm? Never seen the game played so badly.

No alarm? How about no insurance?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What is with this e-begging?

I'm sure plenty of people on here have been robbed at one point or other. Should they put up their paypal addy and ask for donations?

"Some b*tch trashed my car, and wrote FUSK on the window! In need $200 for the cleaning bill. paypal me @ [email]MethyMcCrack@hattermail.com"[/email]

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Buy their records[/b] to donate.

• Someone Stole All My stuff too! I can show you some picture of my Epty little room. where my home studio used to be, no there's only an empty space.

Please Make A Donation To My Paypal account...

LOL

• Can't be true. This is just a commercial strategy. we're here talking bout that so it's working.
    that's what they wanted...
    Nice move.

• Listen times are tough all around. I'm not sure I can afford to donate but I'll sure as shit order some more records.

You guys that are laughing and joking about it need to think about how much Daptone has given you.

And yes, not having insurance or an alarm on a vintage recording studio located in Bushwick is not the smartest thing... but the peanut gallery needs to pipe down.

If you're tight, just keep it moving. Why all this bla bla bla?

• i bought lhe last remaining pieces of wax to complete my Daptone collection today...hopefully that helps a little!

• "located in Bushwick"

feel sorry for those guys, but it was bound to happen with no alarm even.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    with no alarm even.

Heavens to Murgatroid!

On the serious tip, I think I'll cop some vinyl to help the cause.

• Yep, I'll purchase some records tonight...I'll save America and Daptone with one purchase. Nice, even!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    too bad they dont take paypal. theres a lot of stuff i wanted to get. oh well...

does anyone like the Como Now gospel LP out of MS?

• http://savedaptone.com/message.html

they say they'll make it without having to accept charity. what was the point then of creating that website and who's running it?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If this was all an elaborate plan to keep Rod Stewart from ever recording again I'll donate money to THAT cause.

• www.savedaptone.com

This site doesn't look too official, it'd be nice if there was a link or something from the Daptone homepage or some acknowledgment. I wouldn't mind giving these guys some cash though, this story makes me sad and I hope they pull through. They have one of the best things going in music right now.

• who is the retarded hottie in your avatar?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    www.savedaptone.com

This site doesn't look too official, it'd be nice if there was a link or something from the Daptone homepage or some acknowledgment. I wouldn't mind giving these guys some cash though, this story makes me sad and I hope they pull through. They have one of the best things going in music right now.

I went and donated last night. I must be honest, part of me would like someone with deep connections to these dudes just confirm that this site is legit. I hate being such a skeptic, but unfortunately there are 1000's of African dignitaries that wish to prove to me that the web can be used to take advantage of goodwill.

Can any strutters confirm this site is 100% legit, and that recipients of donations are in fact the Daptone folks?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I agree with Johnny, Daptone family deserves our sympathy. They are in it for all the right reasons. My response was more of shock at how poorly run a very successful business was being run.

• It seems the donation site was set up with good intentions but not in consultation with Daptone itself. It turns out Daptone doesn't want the donations.

http://savedaptone.com/message.html

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    who is the retarded hottie in your avatar?

That's Olivia Munn (my nomination for the new Salma)

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1258351

• "We have a session scheduled for Friday to lay down some music for (I know this sounds
    surreal) Rod Stewart, and I'm going to have to get the studio running by then."

WTF?!?
    Can't "Rod the Sod" throw a pittance of his millions their way?
    Anyone know any more about this session?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Thanks for linking to the update, Jess******. That's definitely a relief. I now plan on stealing $40 worth of Daptone merchandise from various local sellers.

• I really don't get this.

Yes we all love Daptone, and yes I would hate the flow of great music to slow or stop. But...

a) they are fools for not having their insurance/security shit sorted.
    b) in reality I can think of 1000's of places that need/deserve my charity dollars more than a record company does. No matter how great they are, seriously, have a think about the bigger picture here people.

• agreed...
    also, olivia munn is looking rather good in that wonder woman outfit. good lord

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rod Stewart,

Rod Stewart's upcoming Motown Tribute album to cash in on the 50th anniversary. Just kidding. I'm guessing Rod has seen the success of Winehouse & has thought that he should have a crack at something similar.

• Rod Stewart,

Rod Stewart's upcoming Motown Tribute album to cash in on the 50th anniversary. Just kidding. I'm guessing Rod has seen the success of Winehouse & has thought that he should have a crack at something similar.

Does this mean he'll stop sucking?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Rod Stewart,

Does this mean he'll stop sucking?

Who's gonna be the first with stomach pump jokes?

No matter what the situation is with insurance/alarm etc., folks should have some empathy at the very least. All these "serves 'em right" posts are f*ckin lame.