Can I take your photo holding this record, please?

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
A few years ago I started taking photos of strangers I met on the street, making them pose with records. At first I wanted to show the slides at a party I organized but when the party flopped I went on shooting. Now as I started scanning these slides, I wanted to show you some examples.

Comments

• cool pictures man

• A few years ago I started taking photos of strangers I met on the street, making them pose with records. At first I wanted to show the slides at a party I organized but when the party flopped I went on shooting. Now as I started scanning these slides, I wanted to show you some examples.

Did you get them to sign a release?

• cool pictures man

Cosign, I would love to see more.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Did you get them to sign a release?

Back then I had no clue about things as release contracts. I was just shooting.

• Under normal circumstances here in the U.S. if they're on public property, you don't need a release.

• Under normal circumstances here in the U.S. if they're on public property, you don't need a release.

Perhaps, but you can't do much with the pics either. AFAIK news organizations are the only ones that get a pass on right of publicity.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Disco Stu likes Disco music.

• I was hoping for more pics.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

So does this dude actually listen to Mecca & the Soul Brother or did you just hand him a record?

• Do you ever ask them if they've heard of the albums you are handing to them? Or, basically, what is their comment to the album?

So does this dude actually listen to Mecca & the Soul Brother or did you just hand him a record?

I had bag full of records with me. Sometimes I let people choose, sometimes I just handed them what I thought would fit. He liked to pose with Pete Rock & CL because there was a cool car on the cover. His mates didn't want to pose because there were no covers with cars left.

• This is a good idea. Keep it up!

Do you ever ask them if they've heard of the albums you are handing to them? Or, basically, what is their comment to the album?

In most cases I asked people what kind of music they normally listen to. I let them go through the records to see if there's something they can relate to or if there's an artwork they like. Most people didn't know my records so they decided coverwise or let me decide.
    The guy with the "disco jacket" was a huge Elvis fan and I was very sorry not to have an Elvis record with me. Sammy Davis Jr. was closest in my selection (Las Vegas etc.) and the Elvis guy was cool with Sammy.
    Isaac Hayes was my choice because it matched perfectly with the shooting gallery.

I was hoping for more pics.

Con mucho gusto.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Dope pics and concept....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Under normal circumstances here in the U.S. if they're on public property, you don't need a release.

Perhaps, but you can't do much with the pics either. AFAIK news organizations are the only ones that get a pass on right of publicity.

fuk a release, when did art ever need permission.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Nice! great record.. i wonder if dude likes the czech jazz funk moves contained within?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Under normal circumstances here in the U.S. if they're on public property, you don't need a release.

When copyright attorneys started to realize they could make a buck

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Dope pics and concept....

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I like these.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

When people started seeing their faces used in things they want no association with. Or would you mind someone snapping your pic somewhere and using it to promote say, an anti-immigration group?

Nice! great record.. i wonder if dude likes the czech jazz funk moves contained within?

I'm quiet sure he doesn't. He was more into the houseoftherisingsunletitbecountryroads kind of moves.

• awesome idea, great pics

Look at how big that record is in her hands, thats a tiny person!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

When people started seeing their faces used in things they want no association with. Or would you mind someone snapping your pic somewhere and using it to promote say, an anti-immigration group?

this is a whole nother' thread, not to be started. in the realm of street art, music,and such art; photography done in good faith displayed in/at a show,fair, local event, there should be no release in my opinion. Most artist do want they want until otherwise stopped.

• When people started seeing their faces used in things they want no association with. Or would you mind someone snapping your pic somewhere and using it to promote say, an anti-immigration group?

this is a whole nother' thread, not to be started. in the realm of street art, music,and such art; photography done in good faith displayed in/at a show,fair, local event, there should be no release in my opinion. Most artist do want they want until otherwise stopped.

And that's what's wrong with the world today, young kids not interested in enough red tape.

Actually I wasn't intending to detract from the pics he took, I was just curious.