Prague

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Wifey and I are heading to one of the most beautiful cities in the world.I have never been.highlights, tips, heads-ups and must sees appreciated.

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Wonderful city.

Get out of the touristy areas and head away from the city centre where things are written in Czech and see how the locals live.

Talk to some old timers there. In the last 100 years they've lived through four different political models.

If absinthe is your bag, this is your city. Get some locals to show you the good stuff.

I remember going to a pretty nice underground jazz club while I was there but no recollection of where or what it was called.

No, no records in Prague. Seems every European has mad this city a place to vacation. Not to mention former government made it a little hard musicians. If it's vinyl you seek, get out of the city and apparently you can find some nice stuff.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    my favorite tv tower in europe

its pretty iron curtain looking.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Yeah, should go see the tower. Those little things on the side are babies crawling up the tower. Supposed to represent a new birth and crawling out of Communism into an era of communication.

Beer. This is a great city to drink it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I wish I could give you some tips on Prague as I was meant to go there a few years ago on a lads weekend. In fact the guy booking it couldn't find any rooms so instead decided we should go to Brno as this was apparently down the road from Prague and the second largest city in the Czech republic.

This was a mistake.

It started to dawn on me that this was a different kind of holiday when we wandered down into the town in our glad rags on the Friday night to find the streets deserted and all windows and doors shut. I felt distressingly like I'd stepped into a seventies horror movie and that any second a gang of bikers would roar through the empty streets terrorising anyone they came across.

It went downhill from there and, without going into details, resulted in me getting a two hour taxi to Prague airport after a 20 hour drinking binge in the middle of the night, my only communication with the driver being the ELO that kept on cropping up on the radio.

What I saw of the city at 4am as we rushed through the streets looked lovely though and sure you'll have a great time.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

Beer. This is a great city to drink it.

pretty much this, stay away from the center / tourist spots, take a stroll around the park, visit some impressive communist leftovers and find a nice local pub afterwards. For a really uncomfortable experience I recommend the Jeep bar.

• I was in Prague about a week and a half ago. It's amazing, very cold, very cheap and the people are very friendly. I'd recommend doing the free walking tours -there's a company that runs a tour in the morning and one in the afternoon, to cover the left and right side of the river, these we're great.

We stayed in a brilliant hostel that was more a guesthouse and was really cheap, if your interested I can forward you the details.

Oh and there are records in Prague. I went to a couple of stores, one with new dance/hip-hop releases (and lots of smoking utensils) and one with old stuff. I didn't have much time but found some ok stuff for cheap - don't expect to be finding Supraphon gems though!

Enjoy it!

• yo nz, my best friend just moved out to prague for good with his czech wife and baby. he knows prague well, having lived there off and on fpr the last 5 years. hes a great guy, undoubtedly knows record spots and will most likely have some good advice about other stuff...and his wife is from there too. pm me if you want his email

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    You should have called this subject ; Prague-

Havent been but one of my best mates was over there last year and he said the night life and people was awesome, very lively and good quality alcohol at a cheap price! Cultured people if your into conversating (although the language thing was an issue for my mate)

Its also apprently pretty safe according to my mate cus he got really drunk one night and past out on a park bench in the middle of nowhere. he woke up in one piece, non violated in any way, with his watch, jewelery, wallet etc still on him... so thats a sign of civilisation....

• I have a buddy that's spending this semester studying in Prague and right now I'm torn between going to see him or making a trip to Colorado to snowboard over my spring break. I'm assuming most people in here would have me to to Prague?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I have a buddy that's spending this semester studying in Prague and right now I'm torn between going to see him or making a trip to Colorado to snowboard over my spring break. I'm assuming most people in here would have me to to Prague?

yes. do it. @nz, pm me if u need any contacts there. I've got some friends over there, English and American guys and girls. Its a totally lovely city. In case you use a taxi, always go for "Speed Taxi", all others are usually a bit shady and tend to rip you off. And yes, you can find records in prague.

• Been there a few times, last time in 2005 so my info might be a bit outdated.

I'd recommend Zizkov, the neighbourhood where the TV tower is located for cheap and good restaurants & bars. I preferred staying over there instead of the touristy old town, less crowded and a nicer atmosphere.

Back in 2005 I had a list of maybe five record shops, managed to find only one. It was decent though, but I wouldn't expect finding anything raer.