Weekend Finds

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
went to my favourite stinky neighbourhood record warehouse this aft. and pulled a few things.. on that pete jolly: really enjoyable listenthat future days is a spare copy if anyone needs..Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    that spot looks like fun. that michael naura record is dope.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    that spot looks like fun. that michael naura, pete jolly and ike turner records are dope.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    How much for all those?

Found some cool shit myself yesterday.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Nice pulls, FMF.

Got a couple of things myself.

And by far the find of the day:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I'd love to hear a clip of this.

• What is that black cover "Afro Rock" Lp?

Thanks,

Dress

• And by far the find of the day:

Thanks.....definitely feeling it.

Something very ironic though about a guy named "Carless" singing about "You may not have a car at all"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Beat me to it, HB.

HOWEVER, this is the type of song that can't possibly be over at the 2:50 mark. I love how the OG version let's the beat ride.

In this spirit, I stitched both sides of the 45 together, including it's VERSION:

OR CLICK HERE IF IT DOESN'T LOAD

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Finds from the local record fair.

And my find of the day - a very rare privately pressed jazz EP by this Sydney group with a great medley of Hair cuts.. very raw and funky.

• And by far the find of the day:

i am very thankful you posted this! so cool!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I had been after that Hoyt Axton LP for a while & finally found it in the country section this morning, the Young Ones & Eric Kloss LPs are interesting/cool, I'm really liking the Jimmy Owens/Kenny Barron LP too, Maggot Brain is the 4 Men w/Beards reissue because I doubt I'll ever find a clean original copy locally. Lee Moses promo =

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Donovan Carless version of "Be Thankful" is nice ... anyone
    remember who does the Lee Perry-produced version of that song? I
    had it on some Perry comp years ago, used to play that shit daily.

Some nice finds in here from everyone. Kris, please send all Lee Moses to me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    [/img]

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    mostly early 90s rap in the dollar bin today:

non-picture sleeves are
    Big -- Party and Bullshit (MCA)
    Brand Nubians -- Feels So Good

• er... what are we looking at in this picture???

• What did you think of the Locomotiv GT record? "Lady of the Night" on that is worth sitting through the AWFUL vocals for that amazing breakdown about a minute or so in. "I love you Frisco" is the cut though.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Beat me to it, HB.

HOWEVER, this is the type of song that can't possibly be over at the 2:50 mark. I love how the OG version let's the beat ride.

In this spirit, I stitched both sides of the 45 together, including it's VERSION:

OR CLICK HERE IF IT DOESN'T LOAD

Now THAT is a f*ckin post.

good lookin out man.

• i love the look of that stinky warehouse. its better lit than the stinky storage spaces i occasionally get access to. looks like someones hoarding random magazines there too.

these came from a less stinky place. actually it might have been stinky, but smells lose their strength under 40 degrees F.

^^the Louis Ramirez on Cotique is sealed. what should i expect it to sound like? the 1976 date could mean anything as far as i know.

^^ a grip of oldies in good shape. the little richard is the quite rare 'SP-100' 1st press, its shockingly clear and bright sounding.

^^ Imperials is xtian doofuses but theres some neat intrumentation here and there
    michael cassidy is strange. yes that is a bunny on his lap.
    colleagues are lounge blofarb doofus men, but its funny.
    i bought the beatles rip off because id heard lou reed had something to do with it. after extensive internet research, i determined i was sort of right. the music on it is a repackaging of a many times re-released beatles exploito record from the UK (Billy Pepper and the Pepperpots). its dated 1962 but that was to throw copyright people off the trail, as the pepperpots record was 1964. this Beats LP almost certainly came out in '64, of course to cash in like everyone else was trying to, in the beatlemania days. the label is Design, which is a pickwick subsiduiary. and as is well known, Lou worked at Pickwick as a staff songwriter from '63-'64, and its where he met John Cale, etc. While there is no direct testimony to this effect, it appears Lou and some other Pickwick boys were asked to dress up and pose for pix for the 'Beats!' record cover, which contained no actual music even recorded in the states at all. In the pix of the "Beats" on the cover, i believe Lou is the "drummer". see below. looks pretty convincing to me. (maybe Pickwick33 has more data?)

^^'michigan rocks' totally rocks! its all MC5, mitch ryder, early bob seger, etc.

^^bought just because i saw phil spector produced. did not know it lists for $300 ($800 for stock copies - wtf!)

^^ of course has no break, but what a title!!!

^^that version of she loves you is incredibly nice (plus what a cool sleeve). daisy clan is fuzzy fuzz psyche. 2 jacks and a queen is oldies with a sad, spooky lo-fi feel.

^^ FAIL

• Carless

This is actually Don Carlos.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Careless" variation... Not sure what's behind it, other than poor spelling.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I found a few good records this weekend;
    the highlight is this one:

Peace

• karlophone, you gotta be closing in on having every record ever made, no?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    karlophone, you gotta be closing in on having every record ever made, no?

!!!

That Louie Ramirez is pretty decent, a couple of nice tracks including the disco fonkay cover of People's Choice. I'd keep it sealed though coz you'll probably not be that into it. It's on the smooth side.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Carless

This is actually Don Carlos.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Careless" variation... Not sure what's behind it, other than poor spelling.

For once this might be an intentional misspelling, innit?

I got a cover of this track on 12" so it rides till 5:45

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    That Donovan Carless version of "Be Thankful" is nice ... anyone
    remember who does the Lee Perry-produced version of that song? I
    had it on some Perry comp years ago, used to play that shit daily.

Some nice finds in here from everyone. Kris, please send all Lee Moses to me.

Bunny Clarke.

I got a cover of this track on 12" so it rides till 5:45

Details?

What did you think of the Locomotiv GT record? "Lady of the Night" on that is worth sitting through the AWFUL vocals for that amazing breakdown about a minute or so in. "I love you Frisco" is the cut though.

It's called "Rock and Roll" on this press, and its the first song. I bought it to play at b-boy jams.

What is that black cover "Afro Rock" Lp?

Thanks,

Dress

It's a very odd lp I picked up from the Groove Merchant over the weekend. From Colombia on the Supremo label, it's got a very dope funky latin rock vibe to it, all sung in English.

There's also one really dope guaracha on there that I'll be including in a latin mix I'm almost finished with.