Ungooglable 45

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
^That's the b side, garage funk guitar instrumental.^ That's the a side, garage Jimmy Reed style original blues that gets more interesting towards the end. I found the artist, so that's all good. Does any one know this?Does any one like either side?

Comments

• The B-side sounds like something Lord Finesse would have sampled on Return Of The Funky Man[/b]:

• Since when did it become illegal to mention the title and artist? Sorry, but this "secret squirrel" business gets OLD.

(cool songs, btw)

• Who is it??

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Ungooglable 45

Sorry to "hijack" your thread but the title made me think of this :

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1251179&an=0&page=1#Post1251179

And I still need that shit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Since when did it become illegal to mention the title and artist? Sorry, but this "secret squirrel" business gets OLD.

(cool songs, btw)

Sorry about that. I thought the divshare deally showed the titles.

The artist is Julius and his group.
    The titles are Honky Skunk and Brand New Man.

Label scan coming soon.

• The artist is Julius and his group.

if i saw a 45 titled "honky skunk" id buy it no matter what the cost!!

good stuff

The artist is Julius and his group.

if i saw a 45 titled "honky skunk" id buy it no matter what the cost!!

good stuff

They were having an estate sale at a warehouse in an old west wheat town.
    I got there late.
    There were boxes of records.
    They were picked over.
    I pulled a bunch of Buck Owens and Jimmy Bryant and steel guitar records.
    They were trashed.
    I kept a 10" Mercury JATP because it had a clean cover, with DSM's trumpeter that Emarcy used as a logo, as the cover image.
    Lots of 45s.
    Mostly hits from the 60s and those ubiquitous 80s pic sleeve 45 hits.
    Mostly trashed.
    I kept a Jimmy Witherspoon on Prestige; Baby Baby Baby / One Scotch One Bourbon one Beer. Which is about as good as Witherspoon gets.
    And a Dyke and The Blazers; City Dump.
    And I was cursing myself for not bringing the Vestax and having to buy Honky Skunk because I didn't know what it was.
    .33c each.

• SLIGHT HIJACK:[/b]

Lots of 45s (including) those ubiquitous 80s pic sleeve 45 hits.
    Ha, ha! I'm laughing because every other time I go looking through random stacks of singles, I've noticed the 1980's pic sleeve records starting to dominate the pile. I realize that it's been 20 years, so it's about time, but even so...I've flipped past so many pastel-colored sleeves by Five Star/the Jets/Laura Branigan that I can see them all in my sleep...it's not like they didn't have pic sleeves in the 50s/60s/70s, but it seems like 80s record buyers not only held on to the sleeves, but kept 'em in impossibly mint condition...

I pulled a bunch of Buck Owens and Rusty Bryant and steel guitar records.

That would be Jimmy Bryant, the Nashville guitar player, not Rusty Bryant.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    SLIGHT HIJACK:[/b]

Ha, ha! I'm laughing because every other time I go looking through random stacks of singles, I've noticed the 1980's pic sleeve records starting to dominate the pile. I realize that it's been 20 years, so it's about time, but even so...I've flipped past so many pastel-colored sleeves by Five Star/the Jets/Laura Branigan that I can see them all in my sleep...it's not like they didn't have pic sleeves in the 50s/60s/70s, but it seems like 80s record buyers not only held on to the sleeves, but kept 'em in impossibly mint condition...
    Welcome to my nightmare.

For the past, oh... 6-8 years this describes most of the 45s I've seen in my area.

• I once found a $1000 soul 45 in the sleeve of a Michael Jackson pic sleeve 7"

• SLIGHT HIJACK:[/b]

I wonder of a good bunch of them are unsold warehouse stock at stores. It got to a point where as cassingles increased in popularity, stores just stopped selling them. That discovery of 1.5M 45's in unopened boxes a few years ago shows labels were still making them, but stores refused to put them on the floor. Understandable to a degree[/b], but if it was Jamaica, all of them would have been recycled for new 45's by Shabba Ranks, Nardo Ranks, and of course, Cutty Ranks.

Regardless, there has been an overabundance of 80's picture sleeves popping up. I think they released almost every song on Beverly Hills Cop II[/b] as singles. I generally will buy the hip-hop ones, and whatever holes I need to fill in my collection (i.e. all of the 45's from New Edition's Heartbreak[/b], did "Crucial" ever come with a proper picture sleeve?)