I need some modern soul recommendations...

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
OK ebay is mad cheap right now and is pretty much a buyers paradise. All the eurodudes are on vacation and I'm bout to come up...problem is I am wetmouth newbie still at modern osul, but I'm a wetmouth newbie with money in his paypal account.I want some good quality stuff modern soul-wise but don't know what to get.In the last week I've bought up some nice titles like the Delfonics "return" (Poogy) and Al Johnson "Peaceful" (Marina)-thanks MM, but now I ned more and I gotta act fast before those damn frencies and germ-os come back and fuck everything up. So modern osul heads (redgreg, danceonamerica, supergood, etc.) help me out!

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Al Johnson "Peaceful"

"Let me love you like you want to be loooooooooved..."

Thats my joint.

You probably already have this but I really like "The Love You Give" by Webster Lewis...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Al Johnson "Peaceful"

Thats my joint.

You probably already have this but I really like "The Love You Give" by Webster Lewis...

I might, but I ain't sure, whats the cover look like? I know I got 8 for the 80's and some otehr joint but I've smoked selected album titles right out of my brainium

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Jefree

Khemistry

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jefree

found a VG- to VG copy locally for $1.99. played it, and liked it but the noise in the background was getting to me. Is this one of thoe raer lps that goes for a bazillion bucks but looks like a .99 piece of crap?

Khemistry

always meant to pick up the reissue just so I could take a listen. Whats the sound on this? mostly uptempo boogie, or mellow mellow?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Leprechaun: Loc-It-Up 12"

Or maybe it's "boogie"?

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Jefree is semi-rare, I suppose. I paid 18 for it at TSL in New York. It's nice though.

Khemistry is boogie. "I've got a feeling" is the cut. But the whole joint is fresh.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Al Johnson "Peaceful"

Thats my joint.

I might, but I ain't sure, whats the cover look like? I know I got 8 for the 80's and some otehr joint but I've smoked selected album titles right out of my brainium

8 for the 80's is the one...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

Color Blind

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    JP Rodgers (Robinson?) out of San Leandro... holler at Jinx and see if he still has copies

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Sidney Joe Qualls- I Don't Do This
    Voices Of East Harlem- Cashin' In
    S.O.S Band- The Finest
    Gloria Scott- Case Of Too Much Love Making
    Hamilton Movement- She's Gone (if you really wanna spend some bucks).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    thanks to everyone so far...this is soulstrut at its finest; record nerds helping record nerds.

I'm picturing my paycheck not making it to the end of the week this week

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    you still need plush

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    I gotta act fast before those damn frencies and germ-os come back and fuck everything up. !

you have about 1 1/2 months to go buckwyld on shit. it is pretty much primo season.

• Gary "Chilling Out"

haha yeah that shit is bugged, love the cover too....

• you still need plush

who doesn't ?!?! Everytime I dream of this record it cues the en vogue hook "never gonna get it"

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    I've been diggin these

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I had Plush, recorded it, sold it. Before I knew there was a category called Moder Soul.

So hot right now

• Gary "Chilling Out"

here

• ademurademur 33 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

I think thats just one of those ebay moments, i was second highest bidder on a copy last month, finished @ 46 dollars.

I would'nt be surprised if thats an unconcluded sale in the end.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

I think thats just one of those ebay moments, i was second highest bidder on a copy last month, finished @ 46 dollars.

I certainly hope not...

---

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

I certainly hope not...

---

It's the "marcofunk" factor. This guy is the new grantgreenrecords / mmcm68. He bought a Diane Tell record off me for $100 and pays right away. God bless.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

I certainly hope not...

---

It's the "marcofunk" factor. This guy is the new grantgreenrecords / mmcm68. He bought a Diane Tell record off me for $100 and pays right away. God bless.

Reynaldo?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

from my city!!!

that shit is hilarious...

whats up with his brother recorded one of those songs on atlantic i think?

• jmperlmujmperlmu 14 Posts

Gary "Chilling Out"

from my city!!!

that shit is hilarious...

whats up with his brother recorded one of those songs on atlantic i think?

Before going solo with "Chilling Out", Winston-Salem, NC native Gary Hairston founded and played drums for the Superiors Band. They did two 45s for the Barvis label out of Delaware. In the '70s, the group changed their name to Opus VII and cut records for Gram-O-Phon (mid-'70s) and Source (late-'70s, as Opus Seven).

For which song(s) is the "Chilling Out" LP sought after?

• jmperlmujmperlmu 14 Posts
    I forgot to say that I don't think Gary Hairston is related to Curtis Hairston.

Edit: Maybe they are related. Google shows the late Curtis Hairston to be from Winston-Salem as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I really meant to say that I don't think Gary Hairston is related to Curtis Hairston.

Perhaps its the same dude? Pretty sure the Atlantic 12" has the same title as one of the "Chilling Out" tracks.

edit: the Curtis Hairston 12" is titled "Chillin' Out", I assumed they were related... unless its a complete ripoff? Which would be strange

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Well, his one negative feedback sure looks like something we could assume is an issue with the seller, not the bidder:

wait &see ,take your responsability for buy for the future bid mister !!!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Some of my recent faves:

Alfonzo Surrett - "Coming Out"

Richard Jon Smith - S/T

Samuel Jonathan Johnson - "My Music"

Crystal Winds - "First Flight"

Collins and Collins - S/T

Skipworth and Turner - S/T

SG

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    old picture reposted:

some of these are good... some arent... but all mod soul... ill bring down my extra of Khemistry for you to check out adam...

and a very nice 45 out of LA... the flip side is nasty nice!