DJ Shadow - This Time vocals (let's remix it)

joostjoost 46 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
How about a little remix contest where you can win nothing.here's the vocals:http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4a95d429c3f9102dd8f14848abf485dde04e75f6e8ebb871it'd be nice if you could email your remix to [email]solesidesjoost@yahoo.co.uk[/email] so we can do something around this on the www.solesides.com website.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    itd be nice if people could share their mixes here on the strut as well as emailing soulsides.

joe would of wanted it that way.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    true... post them here as well. I'm sure there could be something really nice coming from soulstrut.

• Wouldn't these be remixes of Joe - "Untitled", not DJ Shadow - "This Time"?

Just saying.

Wouldn't these be remixes of Joe - "Untitled", not DJ Shadow - "This Time"?

Just saying.

good point jon!

josh gets enough shine from the kids across the globe. joe needs some hand claps as well.

if youre out there joe we love you and your three song reel to reel!!!

• if youre out there joe we love you and your three song reel to reel!!!

Post mp3's or it doesn't exist.

• It exists.

• It exists.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Pictures or it didn't happen"?

• Yeah I know. Just saying...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Post mp3's or it doesn't exist.

Hahahah where do you think this shit came from??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    itd be nice if people could share their mixes here on the strut as well as emailing soulsides.

Just so we're clear, Joost is with solesides.com not my site!

That said, I love this idea and am posting the same request to Soul-Sides.com.

BTW: Justin, is there any place online that tells the whole story behind this song and its remake by Shadow? I've always wanted to hear the deal.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

BTW: Justin, is there any place online that tells the whole story behind this song and its remake by Shadow? I've always wanted to hear the deal.

Dub - are you getting my PM's cos I haven't got an answer from you.

Cheers.

• snosno 332 Posts
    We messed around with the vocal tracks found in acapellas4u two years ago and started messing around with it with Ableton Live. The outcome was this little remix which become part of the band's Live show for about 2 years:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tylo1ze1vja

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    We messed around with the vocal tracks found in acapellas4u two years ago and started messing around with it with Ableton Love. The outcome was this little remix which become part of the band's Live show for about 2 years:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tylo1ze1vja

keep it up dude!

• How did he even make that shit? The original is all over the place in terms of bpm (I found it ranging from 91/92 - 97), which makes it almost impossible to create a loop based beat. I even created my own a cappella and then chopped each sentence he sings and triggered them at the correct points (at a constant bpm) and half of them still fall off.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I suppose the Beat Detective in Pro Tools or warping function within Ableton Live would make it easier to pin point where the down beats are (I wish I still have the file with all the Ableton Live warp points but it's in my old laptop), that said, you can try listening to the guitar strumming in the background as a reference of where the beats are at.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It exists.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Wouldn't these be remixes of Joe - "Untitled", not DJ Shadow - "This Time"?

Just saying.

good point jon!

josh gets enough shine from the kids across the globe. joe needs some hand claps as well.

Jinx, do you know how to get hold of this Joe dude, or is he pretty much lost to the world for good?

• Workin on it!

• joostjoost 46 Posts

true. I don't post here very often, but thought it was a cool idea. I know there are some producers here, so I'm curious what people come up with.

Nice one w/ requesting it to soul-sides.com. I'll post it up on the solesides.com main page as well.

• i think there was a dj delay remix using some biz markie vocals if i remember correctly that i enjoyed hearing.

• How did he even make that shit? The original is all over the place in terms of bpm (I found it ranging from 91/92 - 97), which makes it almost impossible to create a loop based beat. I even created my own a cappella and then chopped each sentence he sings and triggered them at the correct points (at a constant bpm) and half of them still fall off.

hmmm.. i know i made a loop based beat of this schitt on my MPC a long time ago, even before Shadow sampled it. It's been years so i don't recall all the details but I don't remember it being difficult to do at all. Just a real simple joint, maybe about 6 different bars of music and some of the vocals thrown in too, drums added on top. if i can dig it up maybe i'll poast it here... it was no big deal

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    How did he even make that shit? The original is all over the place in terms of bpm (I found it ranging from 91/92 - 97), which makes it almost impossible to create a loop based beat. I even created my own a cappella and then chopped each sentence he sings and triggered them at the correct points (at a constant bpm) and half of them still fall off.

hmmm.. i know i made a loop based beat of this schitt on my MPC a long time ago, even before Shadow sampled it. It's been years so i don't recall all the details but I don't remember it being difficult to do at all. Just a real simple joint, maybe about 6 different bars of music and some of the vocals thrown in too, drums added on top. if i can dig it up maybe i'll poast it here... it was no big deal

So you sampled from the studio tape?

soul-sides and solesides... i knew the difference but wasnt spellchecking oli.

reel does exist and i even posted an mp3 once here on the strut. josh bought the reel off my friend who got it from the 1st music city load.

ive asked around for joe and played his music to many many many local folk who were in the scene and who worked at mc. dobard recorded so many people that its very hard to say who this guy is/was. i hope he pops up one day.

So you sampled from the studio tape?

cd-r of the studio tape, yes

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    nice one. gonna collect some remixes before posting them on the site (and announcing a winner, eventually).

thanks for the input

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    a couple of mixes are now up on the virb.com page:

http://www.virb.com/solesides

thanks for the input so far.