Mobile phone djing?

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I just got sent this press release. Interesting...wondering if anyones had a go at it. Sounds like something you could have some novelty fun with...but I dont see anyone rocking a club set of their phone... - LifeVibes(TM) MixDJ FX - Which Enables DJ Style Mixing Complete With Professional Sound Effects - Introduced on Mass Market Phone @ Mobile World Congress 2009 NXP Software brings DJing on mobile devices to life with a new LifeVibes product featured in the world's first handset with DJ-style music effects. The LifeVibes MixDJ FX software at the heart of the DJ-ing application lets users create cool effects for a professional DJ sound. The software enables the kind of sound effects commonly found on professional DJ consoles such as flanging, phasing, reverb and time-stretching. Users can overlay audio clips and do instant scratching. They can also add BPM-aligned echo, loop and auto-panning for even more effects. Via very simple controls, users can show off their DJing skills to their friends, create personalized versions of their favorite songs, record and share tracks, and use their mixes as a ringtone. Designed for maximum fun, the software has very low delay, so there is an immediate audio response to the user's input. Also, its low power consumption means it has very little impact on battery lifetimes. For handset manufacturers, MixDJ FX fits perfectly with intuitive touch screen interfaces. Its low MIPS and memory cost allow it to run on many platforms, and as a 100% software-based application with a simple API, it is cost-effective and easy to implement. Samsung's new Beat Edition GT-M7600 handset, the world's first phone with DJ-style music effects is being launched at the GSMA Mobile World Congress 2009, 16-19 February in Barcelona, Spain. The LifeVibes MixDJ FX software application will be demonstrated at the LifeVibes(TM) Studios stand, Hall 8, C55. Visit the stand to join in the LifeVibes Studios(TM) Experience, and discover how anyone can be a star DJ with MixDJ FX on mobile. Website: http://www.software.nxp.com This is their spiel on thier site... but they got no pix or demos...."Turn your handset into a club DJ???s mixing deck. MixDJ FX lets users create their own fun mixes for a party that never stops.This easy-to-use software allows users to show off their DJing skills. They can instantly create their own sound through scratching, looping, filtering and sample mixing, combined with cool effects like pitch shift, flanger, reverb and echo. MixDJ FX even automatically beat-synchronizes all the effects.Then once they???ve created a mix, MixDJ FX lets users save it and share it with friends, so they can create a non-stop atmosphere wherever they go."

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I got a demo today at mobile world congress in Barcelona. It's lame... I told the guy I was a vinyl snob and he just said it wasn't for me

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    shame nathan barley fell off towards the end of the series.. first two episodes were hilarious

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    "Wait a minute! Am I part of something? Is something happening right now?"

I want another series of Barley. And the Green Wing - Dr Guy Secretan was the funniest thing I've seen on tv since Daffy Duck.

EDIT:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    All the original Barley source is here:
    http://www.thegestalt.org/simon/cunt/

...and so the TV version is actually too likeable, bizarre as it may seem.

Green Wing was legend. Hard to bring that back though, when they literally rode off into the distance.

"Confisca-tay secundo!"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    "...while mentally picturing himself sliding all the way up to the nutbag in a passing girl in a tissue-thin summer dress"[/b]

I have to admit I've done this on numerous occasions.

"Nathan Barley lands a regular DJ spot in a pub that used to be warm, smoky, and popular with locals until the son of a wealthy aristocrat turned it into a spacious, brightly-lit catwalk of a building in which loud-mouthed members of London's self-appointed young media elite strut about like a pack of trainer-obssessed peacocks, ordering expensive beers and braying insincere, ignorant horseshit at one another over the sound of Nathan's utterly pedestrian mixing"[/b]

(sigh) 1999 - witnessing the beginning of the end of decent pubs, the 2009 update would involve Nathan using his Mobile Phone to DJ with.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    barleyesque lols

LateNite Clubba Mental

Ricky's Luck

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    All the original Barley source is here:
    http://www.thegestalt.org/simon/cunt/

...and so the TV version is actually too likeable, bizarre as it may seem.

Green Wing was legend. Hard to bring that back though, when they literally rode off into the distance.

"Confisca-tay secundo!"

this is the first i have heard of this, but F*ck me if i didnt just cry with laughter. absolutely brilliant.

so there is/was an actual series?

This one literally made me double over:

Those Barley cuttings are from the "TV Go Home" website, Charlie Brooker's parody (down to the typeface) of the UK's "Radio Times" mag which, before the days of on-screen planners, was the bible of what was on the telly for the fortnight.

http://www.tvgohome.com/

The fictitious show "Cunt" was the one which made the most appearances; it became a bit of an underground legend amongst the very folk it lamented and got Brooker onto telly writing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Barley came out of this; "Dead Set" and "Screenwipe" are his other brainkids.

Real venom in the "Cunt" stuff though; I love it.