perez prado help

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
anyone know what LP has his thick ass version of "going out of my head"yes plaese thanks you internets

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Speaking of Perez...Which of his joints are sureshots? I need to be educated on dude.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Damaso Perez Prado is the 'OG'

some of his Mexican lps are kinda funky

I like that 'Sexomania' 45

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damaso Perez Prado is the 'OG'

some of his Mexican lps are kinda funky

I like that 'Sexomania' 45

Word - that song is on an album I have by him (Damaso, not Pantaleon) called "El Fabuloso" which is very, very solid for the same style of Latin/funk jams you'd hear from Nico Gomez in the same era. Not necessarily quite as ill but definitely "funky mambo"-steez. Recommended!

• thanks rrey
    the whole record in the same vein?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Damn!!
    I had no idea about the Prado brothers confusion. I have a belgian comp called grand exitos vol.3, or something like that, that has various cust from escandlo and love child. Couldn't beat it for the price. The cover is doo doo on a tick, though.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Keep in mind - the funky Prado albums were all by Pantaleon Perez Prado - the younger brother of the better known "Perez Prado" who helped kick start the mambo movement in the States.

This isn't readily transparent though - Pantaleon released his albums under the name "Perez Prado" (I've always wondered why his brother didn't step to him on this) so it can be a bit confusing.
    Both brothers shared the same middle name "Perez" so technically they were both able to use the name if they chose. He did sue him in 1956 but lost because of this. This caused ill-feeling & estrangement between both brothers which was never really resolved.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Shit my dads an old Perez Prado fan (the OG Mambo king one) and he never told me that shit...Dont think he even knew there were two...

Where most people aware of this at the time, or they just figured it was the same dude updating his style? Damn that does explain alot..

Two latino brothers with a beef like that...pobrecita la madre.... can you imagine navidad at the prado home....

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Speaking of Perez...Which of his joints are sureshots? I need to be educated on dude.

The two Perez Prado joints I have in the weekend finds thread are pretty nice ones. They're both Damaso and released in Mexico. "Mexico 70" and "Viva Santana" are amazing!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Shit my dads an old Perez Prado fan (the OG Mambo king one) and he never told me that shit...Dont think he even knew there were two...

Where most people aware of this at the time, or they just figured it was the same dude updating his style? Damn that does explain alot..

Two latino brothers with a beef like that...pobrecita la madre.... can you imagine navidad at the prado home....
    It wasn't really a secret, but it wasn't widely known either. P.Perez Prado was the one who made the name more in Europe, while D.Perez Prado was the "brought Mambo to the US" dude, he had more of a Latin pedigree & when he commercially stopped hitting in the US was able to return to a solid South American career. When P.Perez Prado died in Italy in the early 80s everyone thought it was D.P.P., there was confusion as many of the media outlets reporting it had no idea there were 2 brothers. Funny story, I was pretty into Perez Prado for a minute a few years back & that story of the 2 of them cracked me up.

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    The funkiest single put out by either of them was "Circle" Try to find the Love Child/Escandalo double LP on Eurodisc.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Speaking of Perez Prado, I just realized this song of his:

...is basically an instrumental version of "Telephone Girl", no? Sounds like he's covering Assagai rather than Jade Warrior.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I picked up this double set on Baccarola (some french label) and it includes both Love Child and Now. Excellent record!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Argentinian press of "Viva Santana"

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    That's a pretty sweet find for Brasil, B*****n. How's the sound? You finding any other strange presses of stuff down there?

Both Mexican presses, but the 1st one's sound quality is shite:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I haven't even heard the record yet, still waiting on the new needle for the portable to come (thanks Edson!). I'd imagine the quality is better though.

Man, what the hell is Perez wearing/doing on the first cover?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

is absolutely apeshit crazy if anyone's wondering-- i picked up a mexican pressing that looks a bit different than this one.