2008 World Press Photo of the Year contest (2022 Bhump)

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
edited May 2022 in Strut Central
2008 World Press Photography Winners ^^ This is a battle, but reminds me of golf. No wonder I am not in Iraq.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

^^ This is a battle,

Some of these guys need to re-take Camouflage 101

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts

^^ This is a battle,

I suppose when you are up against a machete or a child's bow and arrow, they go for the 20-year old "Sharp" Man Un*ted top every time.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Well, you would, wouldn't you?

• Options

I love how they caption that photo...

Jury members said the strength of the photo by Anthony Suau for Time magazine was in its opposites - it looks like a classic war photograph, but is simply the eviction of people from a house

Simply the eviction of people from a house??? Do they think folks simply hand the keys over and offer helpful hints like how jiggling the handle will stop the toilet from running?

• I love how they caption that photo...

Jury members said the strength of the photo by Anthony Suau for Time magazine was in its opposites - it looks like a classic war photograph, but is simply the eviction of people from a house

Simply the eviction of people from a house??? Do they think folks simply hand the keys over and offer helpful hints like how jiggling the handle will stop the toilet from running?

I met a guy in Atlanta a few years back whose job was repossessing trailer homes. He had some good/scary stories of folks not too happy to see him.

• Im not really feeling the winning photo too much. I still cant find out how to embed photos but check this link out:

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php...&bandwidth=high

I wonder what kind of music Tuareg rebels play?

Dress

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Another Tuareg band:

• I wonder what kind of music Tuareg rebels play?

Dress

Its called Rai, isn't it?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Nah, Rai is kinda Algerian pop. The shit that Tinariwen play is closer to something like an electrified version of some of the shit Ali Farka Toure used to do, although by no means the same thing.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

I'm loving that one!

• I'm loving that one!

This one was one of my favorites. It definitely got robbed - third place in sports action singles and the two in front of it weren't nearly as good

I also love this one:

• looks like there was a huge anaconda hiding in the sand and he snuck up on it and wrestled it, in his track suit no less!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Uber Raer.

Uber Raer.

this one looks clearer than real life, almost like an illustration.

Tomasz Wiech, a Gazeta Wyborcza Krakow photographer based in Poland, has won the third prize of the Daily Life Singles category with this photo

Can someone explain the above photo to me? Pales in comparison to photos like this:

Walter Astrada won first prize in the Spot News Singles category for his picture of a Kenyan boy screaming as he sees a policeman with a baton approaching the door of his home in the Kibera slum of Nairobi.

• the long jump one is good but most of these almost seem more about subject matter than actual composition or artistic qualities. for me a good photo has all three, not just one.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    the long jump one is good but most of these almost seem more about subject matter than actual composition or artistic qualities. for me a good photo has all three, not just one.

Yeah, but isn't it a media agency that's awarding them? i think for media the second and thrid qualities you listed are perks, whereas the subject matter s(t)ells the story.

• the long jump one is good but most of these almost seem more about subject matter than actual composition or artistic qualities. for me a good photo has all three, not just one.

Yeah, but isn't it a media agency that's awarding them? i think for media the second and thrid qualities you listed are perks, whereas the subject matter s(t)ells the story.

true. in that case that is accurate for this award.

I like this one. Looks like it could be the poster for some war movie or sumtin'.

• Nah, Rai is kinda Algerian pop. The shit that Tinariwen play is closer to something like an electrified version of some of the shit Ali Farka Toure used to do, although by no means the same thing.

Sublime Frequencies has recently put out two LPs of contemporary Taureg guitar music.
    Heavy shit.

• whichever strutter took that picture of a burning car years ago should've entered that shit, from what i remember that was a pretty cool picture and was better than most of these ones, can someone post that picture again?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

^^ This is a battle,

I suppose when you are up against a machete or a child's bow and arrow, they go for the 20-year old "Sharp" Man Un*ted top every time.

I used to have one of those...

• whichever strutter took that picture of a burning car years ago should've entered that shit, from what i remember that was a pretty cool picture and was better than most of these ones, can someone post that picture again?

Nate Bi$$o...It was an ad for Burton.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts