holler from India

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
no, no non-trance/-bangra records in Goa or Kerala.

Comments

• Actually I found a one stop filled with records in goa, buy I'd bedamned if I could tell you how to find it.

There is a synagogue in the old town. Near to there, down the street is a electronics/antique shop. The
    Owner used to sell records and has them all stores away in a storage area filled with massive roaches, tree rats and blood sucking Mosquitos.
    I pulled a stack of deadstock rockys and stuff out of there - I'm pretty sure I cleaned It out but you can give it a go.

It helps to have someone with you that speaks hindi

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Root: Have you found yourself yet?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    no, no non-trance/-bangra records in Goa or Kerala.

there are most definitely south indian soundtracks in kochi, kerala. it's been several years though, so i couldn't say how to find them...

those places are awesome though, have a great time.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Actually I found a one stop filled with records in goa, buy I'd bedamned if I could tell you how to find it.

I'm pretty sure I cleaned It out but you can give it a go.

It helps to have someone with you that speaks hindi

i don't think rootless has any records.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    are you in goa? make sure you track down Feni (liquor distilled from cashew fruit) and combine with Limca (india's version of sprite). go easy, the stuff will knock u the F*ck out.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    are you on vacation, or just looking for records, or both?

• are you on vacation, or just looking for records, or both?

vacation but always down to check the local music offerings. shit is fun here.

• are you in goa? make sure you track down Feni (liquor distilled from cashew fruit) and combine with Limca (india's version of sprite). go easy, the stuff will knock u the F*ck out.

dude, my nickname around here is Feny Martin.

• Root: Have you found yourself yet?

I found myself in a really shitty club last night.

• Options
    wow, India!

do you have a camera? sounds like fun!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    flashlight is the one thing I didn't bring to India that I would bring if I go again. No street lights, mad poop in the road at night.

post photos when you get back!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    dude. what are you up to? give us some more info, BRO! pics?

which foods are the best? have you tried the masala flavored potato chips?

• flashlight is the one thing I didn't bring to India that I would bring if I go again. No street lights, mad poop in the road at night.

Baby wipes was the most useful thing I could have brought to India with me...all that eating w/my hands in dirty situations- those sinks never had soap! Lil baby wipe action b4 a meal made things go smooth. That plus carrying my own water!

Although India is crazy, I miss it and wanna go back.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    wow, India!sounds like fun diarrhea for days!

Have fun but be cautious.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    India is awesome! But I will never forget the thrill of getting a shot of antibiotics in my ass after spending 3 hours on the floor of the bathroom at the luxury hotel in Jaipur that used to be the home of Raj thinking I could possibly die right then and there.

Dehli belly ain't nothing to F*ck with.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    India is awesome! But I will never forget the thrill of getting a shot of antibiotics in my ass after spending 3 hours on the floor of the bathroom at the luxury hotel in Jaipur that used to be the home of Raj thinking I could possibly die right then and there.

Dehli belly ain't nothing to F*ck with.

I was traveling alone, and spent 2 solid days puking while diarrheaing, because I brushed my teeth with tap water. I didn't even swallow any. The prospect of dying in India was such a bummer. Luckily I made it.

If you brush your teeth with bottled water, keep your mouth shut while showering, and avoid any foods that need to be washed or refrigerated to stay good, then you should be A-OK. I lived in Bombay for 9 months, and the only time I got got was from a piece of cheesecake at a fancy-ish Euro-style restaurant, which I think had not been stored cool enough. After that I was eating samosas from street vendors and was completely fine.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bluesnaq, anyone

got any recommendations for digging in Mumbai/surrounding areas?

I'm out there for a week or two in March/April and although some locals have promised to find some places, they're not on some real headz wavelengths

Thanks

Bluesnaq, anyone

got any recommendations for digging in Mumbai/surrounding areas?

I'm out there for a week or two in March/April and although some locals have promised to find some places, they're not on some real headz wavelengths

Thanks

It was 4 years ago when I lived there so its hard to say what's going on now. There are a few spots in Chor Bazaar. At one of those spots there is a dude who has crazy shit at his place. I'll get back to you on that (send me a pm). I don't have his info on me at the moment.

There also used to be a guy with a stand a few blocks down from the main entrance of VT train station.

• which foods are the best? have you tried the masala flavored potato chips?

Im eating lots of eggs. trying to get your protein on in the veggie south is hard. flavored chips are on hit for sure though.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi dude,

You need to stock up on some classic bollywood films while you're there. Sholay is a must.

peace

h