Weekend Finds

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Edit: Henrys pockets go deep too, when it comes to his ebay fun...

There is no way The Henry Rollins drops $300+ on some noise tapes.

i have it on very good authority that thats him though. If you ever heard his radio show on the Indie 103 station in LA (recently RIP i hear), youd think differently about it. the man is utterly obsessed with the damned, uk subs, and all manner of bizarre noise stuff. nothing on that list is a suprise to me based on what ive heard him play on that show.

This is what I've heard too. Dude apparently has a marcofunk like addiction to wolfeyes tapes and shit. I saw him speak here last week and wanted to heckle him about it but he's big and scary and I was all the way up in the balcony.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Langley Cypher complete.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I saw him speak here last week and wanted to heckle him about it but he's big and scary and I was all the way up in the balcony.

When you say "speak", are you talking about the so-so stand up comedy he does or in a KRS 1 "This is not a concert. This is a speech." kind of way?

• The George Lewis LP is signed by George, for those who are into signed stuff. I just think it's a really good record.

45s are:
    Marianus - Magical Man/Prelude to Magical Man on Jupiter. Cool prog/psych
    Zig & Gaboon's Gang - Let's Get Fired Up - Orleans International LTD. This a post-Meters project involving Zigaboo Modeliste ostensibly about The Saints
    Lee Dorsey - Gaitor Tail/When Can I Come Home - Polydor
    Batiste Brothers Band - Starlite/Instrumental - Dynasty
    Funky Granny and the Gang - Wear It Out Pts 1 & 2 - Erica. Senator Jones production arranged by Sam Henry.
    Dr. John - Let's Make A Better World/same - Atco
    Batiste Brothers Band - (Gon Be Dat) New Orleans Music/Instrumental - Dynasty
    Johnny Griffin & the Big Soul Band - Wade In The Water/Holla - Riverside
    The Meters - Disco Is The Thing Today/Mr. Moon - Reprise
    The Meters - Good Old Funky Music/Sassy Lady - Josie
    Lee Bates - Mean Mistreater/I Do Things Come Naturally

Also caught the best Mardi Gras throw I've ever gotten at the parade yesterday afternoon (cell-phone pic):

And finally, a street find on the sidewalk right off Frenchmen St. this morning:

• Cheapo in the wild, field findz...Everything under $3.
    Energy Pak has some charming moments.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    720 miles......35 hours........$258.00.....here are the highlights.....

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    You might want to make some of those "mardigras 09" pics private...

• stopped by the minneapolis record show this weekend to drop off some flyers and talk to a few people, didn't intend on buying anything but walked out with this one 45 for pretty cheap

• i recently picked that chet nichols up and was very happy to find it was excellent loner folk. he was a good songwriter. its also gotta be one of the scarcest kama sutras.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

i recently picked that chet nichols up and was very happy to find it was excellent loner folk. he was a good songwriter. its also gotta be one of the scarcest kama sutras.

Huh. I found that one earlier this year, gave it a listen, and thought it was decent, but never revisited. I'll have to dig it out and give it another shot.

• mostly all real world finds.

can someone give me price czech on that salome bey "dude" lp? thx

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

i recently picked that chet nichols up and was very happy to find it was excellent loner folk. he was a good songwriter. its also gotta be one of the scarcest kama sutras.

Huh. I found that one earlier this year, gave it a listen, and thought it was decent, but never revisited. I'll have to dig it out and give it another shot.
    The track "The Beetles Are Coming" is pretty damn good.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

The track "The Beetles Are Coming" is pretty damn good.
    Cool. I'm looking forward to re-listening. I don't really even remember what the album sounds like.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I picked up a huge 36" x 30" paper cutter at an estate sale today (at a fire sale price):

• This is stuff from the past week.

Some good reggae and jazz (& Wire)

Some new age and a live Ram Dass recording from 1969.

Received my first (and likely/hopefully not last) shipment of Ethiopian records. 15 45's - several Tilahun Gessesse, one Mulatu, several other 45's on Philips and Amha.

Plus three records on a label I'm not familar with and with no English information. Anyone know this label and who recorded on it? The pic sleeve shown is from one of them, all three 45's are ridiculously good.

Pretty blown away by the Ethiopian stuff, there's some amazing stuff on these.

This mostly makes up for being screwed earlier today on buying an amazing collection of rare reggae and ska.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This is stuff from the past week.

Some good reggae and jazz (& Wire)

This mostly makes up for being screwed earlier today on buying an amazing collection of rare reggae and ska.

That U-Brown is official.
    Tell us of the screwings.....

• Guy offered me a collection of 100 really good 45's, then chose to sell them to someone else without letting me make a counter-offer. Stupid move on his part and sucks for me as it was some really good stuff.

• more finds:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not one, but TWO Stone Alliances?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the salome bey record is like a $25-$30 record max.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i'd pay like $10 maybe.

• that shit is snoozy

• Not one, but TWO Stone Alliances?

no, its only one copy that i photographed twice by accident. that said, it was a really productive weekend record-wise....

the salome bey is pretty horrible..

• Plus three records on a label I'm not familar with and with no English information. Anyone know this label and who recorded on it? The pic sleeve shown is from one of them, all three 45's are ridiculously good.

I have an impression that this is Mahmoud Ahmed on his private label. Not 100% sure though...

• Turns out it's the Hitachi label. The other two releases are posted here. Mine didn't arrive with pic sleeves though.

http://www.funkfidelity.de/ethio/hitachi.htm

• Thats a pretty cool website... I have one of the other Japanese releases.

Dress

• from the last week -

The 12" is TJ Swann - "Get Fly."
    The Conjunto Yaguarimu is a great Cuban LP with one or two tracks that could (should) easily appear on any "Si Para Usted" comp.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Does anyone own that Maximillian LP without heavy ringwear?

I don't think I've ever seen a pristine copy.

Love that Gene Clark LP.

• Does anyone own that Maximillian LP without heavy ringwear?

I don't think I've ever seen a pristine copy.

Love that Gene Clark LP.

Luckily the vinyl is super clean and yes the Gene Clark is awesome.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    N**l

How's that Les Filles - Le pop?
    It looks like something I'd dig.

Any chance of a soundclip?

Thanks.