Weekend Finds

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
150 miles........5 hours.......$26.00......here are the highlights.Stupidly rare loner folk.....Lower right corner is weird comp....here's a cut by White Elephant

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    All field, no mailbox needed.
    Most from a local shoppe that used to carry used vinyl but phased it out.
    So it hadn't been on my radar for a couple years, well the word on the street
    was they bought a huge collection for about $13,000.
    Needless to say it'll be back on my record route....

The Marmalade comp and Van Der Graaf were sealed but the shrink was squeezing them something awful so I liberated them. Bottom right is a Slits boot, price check plaese?

Really feeling the Critters, I think I'm collecting rock again.
    I hate you waxi!

Had a copy of the Julie Driscoll but sold it, then regretted it, not letting this one go. The Brian Auger/Julie Driscoll is a minty German pressing, don't know why I slept on this one for so long, it's another keeper.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Fabulous Capris is nice, never seen that before.

Nice scores on the DC Hardcore 7"s if they're originals.

• Nice scores on the DC Hardcore 7"s if they're originals.

Four 7" sleeves don't fit in a 12" sleeve so I assume this is the comp. Still great though. Henry Rollins was the lead singer of SOA wasn't he?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Four 7" sleeves don't fit in a 12" sleeve so I assume this is the comp.

No they are the super rare 5 3/4" test pressings.

• Nice scores on the DC Hardcore 7"s if they're originals.

Four 7" sleeves don't fit in a 12" sleeve so I assume this is the comp. Still great though. Henry Rollins was the lead singer of SOA wasn't he?

yes. though he seems to omit that detail when he talks about his life pre black flag. its always straight from the ice cream shop in DC to being asked to try out by greg ginn etc etc. i cant figure out why, as its even more hardcore to be in a early DC punk band than to be in black flag, and henry likes to make sure you know his history goes deep.

Edit: Henrys pockets go deep too, when it comes to his ebay fun...

• Such a

Good call, I didn't even think about the size. Rollins in SOA is great, I really like that early DC stuff.

• Such a

say, whats the year and label on that one? i have this major gap between the Equals stuff and his solo stuff before '79, just havent ever found anything in that period.

• It's from 1975 on the U.K. based Torpedo label.

• Picked this Eddy grant 12 up last week dope Proto-House tune

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'd really like to read an in-depth retrospective interview with Eddy Grant. Has this been done already? Waxpo?

• many more boxes trawled thru at squirrel locations, ongoing thing. with a couple exceptions like the 5 Americans which were also local finds but i put in phone calls to "find" them in the collection of someone i knew who can be persuaded to liquidate. What can i say, Strut recommendations demand fast action! And yes they are excellent, thanks for pointing them out.

some errors here and there but nothing fatal as the avg prices were reasonable.

^^the shacklefords are Lee Hazelwoods vocal group, i think its his earliest
    appearance?? they have a later album on capitol that you must sell to me if you have it.
    Alberto y los trois paranoias is WEIRD.
    mary and the maoris is mostly dreck but their "funky broadway" is impressive.
    king monkey on Ala 12", 1980 - acc to freddie fresh, "possibly 1st west coast rap record".
    its also xxx rated and hilarious, like Rudy Ray if he had sugarhill gang type flow.

^^bonnie b. was somewhat disappointing. rene and rene is an early white whale (label i mean) and has some cool soft tracks on it.

^^cloud is small press 1982 soul, but nothing mindblowing.

^^holy moses turned out to be late 60s straight country, by a hippie looking group that youd swear would bust out with some folk rock moves. but.. they really dont.
    Chunky Novi + Ernie is weird/goofy, some sort of Zappa connection.

^^i know nobody cares about it anymore but i cant seem to help picking up the soul mann when i see it.
    steve grossman: openly gay folk on major label, 1973.
    stoked on the vanity 6, its been annoyingly hard to find for me, and i need to play "nasty girl" at all times of course.

^^eberhard shoener is basically the police incl sting on vocals, 1981.

^^the widgets is small press 1980 minneapolis pop/punk. i hear a bit of the usual MN suspects - replacements, husker du, soul asylum in their sound.

^^ this Frost was disappointing. like most of their stuff i guess. hard to resist a Vanguard i hadnt seen before though.
    The second Hour Glass is freakin rare in my opinion.

^^the roy buchanan has some insane slide guitar madness on it. the 2 blue gooses are the first two records on the label, and neither is easy to find at all.
    and they both shred, as a Blue Goose should.

^^texture cover crickets - mint cover, bad record. had the opposite already. so its a good day.
    thats the 1st Fats LP if you are keeping track (i didnt know till i got it home).

the herd is peter framptons 1st dealie.
    Kenny is the 77 press, plenty good enough for me. it was real hard to keep the poker face on when it popped up.

^^ job hunt strut????

^^ i dunno anything about this except it sounds pretty good.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

^^ i dunno anything about this except it's cheap and sounds really good.

Comprehensive finds as always Kphone!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

lower right corner one is stoopid nice!

• Real world finds from this neck of the woods.

My little local dig had the Shakara LP... nice Tony

If you like MW you gotta pick up Spaced... exceeds expectations. The Eddie Fisher's rad. Been waiting a long time for a clean copy of the RWilson. The production on the Latimore is pphhat, is Clarence Reid Responsible?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Fabulous Capris is nice, never seen that before.

Cosine. Thanks for posting, Rock.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Real world finds from this neck of the woods.

Is Spaced an OG? Man, I naively think I'm gonna find that one day. Hasn't happened yet.

Rock, can I ask where you scooped that Capris at? A Half Price?

• found a mint one of these for 25 cents yesterday:

take care of my car insurance and renters insurance for a quarter, word.

• Edit: Henrys pockets go deep too, when it comes to his ebay fun...

There is no way The Henry Rollins drops $300+ on some noise tapes.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    . The production on the Latimore is pphhat, is Clarence Reid Responsible?

I don't know, but I thought the same thing about the production. I can't believe it doesn't go for much money. Definitive --

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    BOTH MINT

• . The production on the Latimore is pphhat, is Clarence Reid Responsible?

I don't know, but I thought the same thing about the production. I can't believe it doesn't go for much money.

It shouldn't have to. Latimore was a fairly major performer in his time (still is, to an extent), and he sold quite a few records. So it's not really surprising that his six Glades LP's show up frequently (along with the singles released from them).

The album shown in the photo contained one of his bigger hits, "Something 'Bout Cha."

• Those come with or without the drop shadow?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Nothing record related, but I did meet Gloria Hendry as well as Arch Hall Jr. and The Black Gestapo's Charles Robinson.

The Remains & Stooges are recent Sundazed reissues.

These were all new too, nice to have the Band clean & remastered. I'm interested to see how the 45rpm remastered Ride The Lightning compares to the original.

• Real world finds from this neck of the woods.

Is Spaced an OG? Man, I naively think I'm gonna find that one day.

No, just re-mastered from the tapes by Jazzman.... twice as many copies pressed as the Funkenstein lp, less then 1/3 the cost, and 100 times better. Grab it until you unearth a crate of sealed OG's outta some ladies garage!

• Edit: Henrys pockets go deep too, when it comes to his ebay fun...

There is no way The Henry Rollins drops $300+ on some noise tapes.

i have it on very good authority that thats him though. If you ever heard his radio show on the Indie 103 station in LA (recently RIP i hear), youd think differently about it. the man is utterly obsessed with the damned, uk subs, and all manner of bizarre noise stuff. nothing on that list is a suprise to me based on what ive heard him play on that show.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts