PLUG-IN STRUT - mac biznatches - keys & fx

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
of course in a perfect world we could afford to use the stuff we need, but these days, with dusty Echoplex's catching $500 on ebay, we need to know the plug in options.seems like technology is catching up to the analog world, but i'm soooo out of the loop, i have no idea where to cop, what to cop.i'm using protools & ableton live. big things i need are:FX- delays- reverbs- compression / limiters etcINSTRUMENTS- arp strings- prophets- clavs- organs- pianos etc- seinfeld slapp bassany good cracks? which are smartest to buy? any insight, help, suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• related question, is there a plug-in share forum that's secure out there to skip the retail step?

• FX
    delays - waves, psp delays, bombfactory mooger fooger delay/ telray delay
    reverbs - Waves Rverb and Ir verb/ Altiverb (any convolution reverb really)
    compression / limiters etc - Waves stuff, bombfactory 1176/ LA2 emulations

Get waves diamond or mecury bundle via torrents. Find out what you like buy if you can. They make good stuff but it's $$$.

INSTRUMENTS
    arp strings - Gforce string machine
    prophets - Arturia Prophet V, native instruments has one two but not as good
    clavs - Scarbee vintage keys collection, has clav/ wurli/ rhodes/ pianet Best samples IMO
    organs - Native instruments B4 (samples are also a viable option though not as flexible)
    pianos - Hard to say what type are you looking for? There are tons of librarys out there.
    etc - You'll need a good sampler, Kontakt is the favorite of most myself included. Look at soft synths from arturia lots of classic stuff like minimoog.

seinfeld slapp bass - ??? can't say but I'm sure you could find some samples.

I've tried alot of different software having access to free stuff. This is the best stuff I know of for what you need. However I've tried and owned a bit of hardware and if you can afford it do it. Software comes close but usually lacks something in the sound and when all mixed together it shows in the end.

• related question, is there a plug-in share forum that's secure out there to skip the retail step?

Yep, www.audionews.ru registration opens at the start of each month. It is THE source for plugins, samples anything audio related. If you don't keep a good ratio and seed what you download you will be banned.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Seems like Mac production software is harder to come by.. I've been looking for Ableton 7 for a minute now. PC version is all over the interwebs.

• hah, i admit the seinfeld slapp bass was a joke.

but i am getting into the fake slap bass patches on certain records i have. it is possible.

thanks man, i will save all this info. i used to have a demo of the prophet that just worked eternally, but now they make it so you need hardware to use....

i'm heading to that forum as well!

peace

• FX
    delays - waves, psp delays, bombfactory mooger fooger delay/ telray delay
    reverbs - Waves Rverb and Ir verb/ Altiverb (any convolution reverb really)
    compression / limiters etc - Waves stuff, bombfactory 1176/ LA2 emulations

Get waves diamond or mecury bundle via torrents. Find out what you like buy if you can. They make good stuff but it's $$$.

INSTRUMENTS
    arp strings - Gforce string machine
    prophets - Arturia Prophet V, native instruments has one two but not as good
    clavs - Scarbee vintage keys collection, has clav/ wurli/ rhodes/ pianet Best samples IMO
    organs - Native instruments B4 (samples are also a viable option though not as flexible)
    pianos - Hard to say what type are you looking for? There are tons of librarys out there.
    etc - You'll need a good sampler, Kontakt is the favorite of most myself included. Look at soft synths from arturia lots of classic stuff like minimoog.

I basically co-sign on all this stuff --

For a nice compressor, check out PSP Vintage Warmer! Works well for everything. Should be pretty easy to find. Anything Arturia is nice -- I stand by w/ Mini Moog, Modular Moog, Cs-80, Arp. Still looking for the Jupiter! I think it has some dongle, so no one has been able to crack it. LinPlug Organ is ridiculous and is essential imo. I'd also suggest NI Guitar Rig and PSP Nitro for effects processing.

• Check out this site for some of my personal favorite plug-ins for Pro Tools.

www.masseyplugins.com

All plug ins are free to demo and don't insert any white noise or drop out during use, they function perfectly. The only function you don't have with the demo is the ability to save settings. Before I ponied up and purchased them, I used to use the notes column under the channel strip to type in the settings and it worked just fine. I'm pretty sure they're RTAS only, so they won't work with Ableton, but I use at least one of them on every track I work on.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Seems like Mac production software is harder to come by.. I've been looking for Ableton 7 for a minute now. PC version is all over the interwebs.

dude download the trial version and just keep making new email authoriazation codes. Its the full version with save and export, just have to put a new auth code every 14 days.

• Check out this site for some of my personal favorite plug-ins for Pro Tools.

www.masseyplugins.com

All plug ins are free to demo and don't insert any white noise or drop out during use, they function perfectly. The only function you don't have with the demo is the ability to save settings. Before I ponied up and purchased them, I used to use the notes column under the channel strip to type in the settings and it worked just fine. I'm pretty sure they're RTAS only, so they won't work with Ableton, but I use at least one of them on every track I work on.

you also can't use bypass with the demo plugs and they don't recall your settings when you load your session. It's pretty fair and they are really reasonably priced. I like the tape delay quite a bit.

I also forgot to mention Amplitube and guitar rig are great for guitars and you can put anything else through them too. Guitar rig has more effects but I like amplitube's sound better.

Samplemoog and sampletron are also really good sample collections. Definitely worth a look if you like moogs and mellotrons.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

dude download the trial version and just keep making new email authoriazation codes. Its the full version with save and export, just have to put a new auth code every 14 days.

Really? You don't have to reinstall every time?

How do you get a new auth code? Do you have to keep creating new email addresses?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

How do you get a new auth code? Do you have to keep creating new email addresses?

You dont have to reinstall. Just goto the trial page and clear your browsers cookies and history. Then just put new email addie in.
    http://www.ableton.com/free-trial
    then when it expires, go into LIBRARY/APPLICATIONSUPPORT/ABLETON/UNLOCK and delete that unlock.cfg file. Enter new code when it prompts u and there you go. I just did and got another 14 days out of it.

and yes you would need new email addresses, use gmail to make dummy accounts.
    Small price to pay for some sick software.

You could also run boot, camp or virtual box and install windows if you have an intel mac. You can then install a cracked version of 7, but then its a bitch to switch back and forth and transferring files.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

waves are the realness, but i can never find them in AU (apple audio units which is required for mac) on the internet and dont have a lazy $15000 lying around to buy them

I have found a few decent plug ins here

http://www.macmusic.org/software/cat.php/lang/en/id/7037/view/AU

• Get waves diamond or mecury bundle via torrents. Find out what you like buy if you can. They make good stuff but it's $$$.

waves are the realness, but i can never find them in AU (apple audio units which is required for mac) on the internet and dont have a lazy $15000 lying around to buy them

I have found a few decent plug ins here

http://www.macmusic.org/software/cat.php/lang/en/id/7037/view/AU

I can't say I know a whole lot about using waves on a mac but they should come in rtas format that you can use in protools. If your DAW needs AU though there is a vst to AU adapter program out there. Haven't used it but I have used the vst to rtas adapter by the same people and it works really well. Check it out

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

You dont have to reinstall. Just goto the trial page and clear your browsers cookies and history. Then just put new email addie in.
    http://www.ableton.com/free-trial
    then when it expires, go into LIBRARY/APPLICATIONSUPPORT/ABLETON/UNLOCK and delete that unlock.cfg file. Enter new code when it prompts u and there you go. I just did and got another 14 days out of it.

and yes you would need new email addresses, use gmail to make dummy accounts.
    Small price to pay for some sick software.

You could also run boot, camp or virtual box and install windows if you have an intel mac. You can then install a cracked version of 7, but then its a bitch to switch back and forth and transferring files.

Thanks man.. I'll have to try this out.