Roland SP-555 (working DJ related)

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I woke up super early just to play with one of these for a few hours and I am obsessed, it does everything. And I am super picky and I don't usually geek out over these things whatsoever, it's not my bag usually at all except this is sooooooo fun and sounds really really good. Has anyone bought one and if so, thoughts?

Comments

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    looks dope.
    I still rock a 303.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I have heard it is light years beyond the 404. Touch sensitive pads, step sequencing, some really tough effects. I have been wanting the 404 for my dj setup for a while now for effects and drops and every time i tell a dj they tell me to get this instead.

My only issue is that it seems big, never having seen one in person. And it doesn't run on batteries like the 404 does, right? I'm always looking for less to plug in.

• I have heard it is light years beyond the 404. Touch sensitive pads, step sequencing, some really tough effects. I have been wanting the 404 for my dj setup for a while now for effects and drops and every time i tell a dj they tell me to get this instead.

My only issue is that it seems big, never having seen one in person. And it doesn't run on batteries like the 404 does, right? I'm always looking for less to plug in.

it's actually not that big, the photo is deceiving.
    it's a 12 x 12 square....like a record!..so not so big.
    funny you mention the 404, i have it, it's cool beacuse of the fact that it runs on batteries and so you can play with it anywhere, and it's really small too so if mobility is your thing than yes 404 is hotter, 8 pads tho, not 16, but it truly sounds the same but does way less

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I have heard it is light years beyond the 404. Touch sensitive pads, step sequencing, some really tough effects. I have been wanting the 404 for my dj setup for a while now for effects and drops and every time i tell a dj they tell me to get this instead.

funny you mention the 404, i have it, it's cool beacuse of the fact that it runs on batteries and so you can play with it anywhere, and it's really small too so if mobility is your thing than yes 404 is hotter, 8 pads tho, not 16, but it truly sounds the same but does way less

Are those little light things at the top optical sensors for tweaking the sounds? (Like that alesis photon keyboard, theremin style)?

• I have heard it is light years beyond the 404. Touch sensitive pads, step sequencing, some really tough effects. I have been wanting the 404 for my dj setup for a while now for effects and drops and every time i tell a dj they tell me to get this instead.

Are those little light things at the top optical sensors for tweaking the sounds? (Like that alesis photon keyboard, theremin style)?

oh yeah.
    its a sick theremin that can hold one of the drum sounds or any sound for that matter, so picture waving your hand to the beat and getting what you want from it and then being able to adjust the pitch etc. that part is super fun

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Going cross-thread here, how would this compare to the Kaoss Pad I'd posted about?

Going cross-thread here, how would this compare to the Kaoss Pad I'd posted about?

i haven't played with the kaoss but i am wary of touch screens, there is often a delay in accuracy and a vulnerability in the open screen, i.e. iphone. the calibration seems volatile and could get fucked up? maybe?
    the screen is cool visually for sure but a theremin can sustain more and be durable i would imagine and still do the same?
    i don't know it would interesting to compare. I am a chronic multitasker so 16 pads is kind of cool to me, more memory.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

i haven't played with the kaoss but i am wary of touch screens, there is often a delay in accuracy and a vulnerability in the open screen, i.e. iphone. the calibration seems volatile and could get fucked up? maybe?
    the screen is cool visually for sure but a theremin can sustain more and be durable i would imagine and still do the same?
    i don't know it would interesting to compare. I am a chronic multitasker so 16 pads is kind of cool to me, more memory.

How are you planning to use the Roland? In a straight-up live performance setting? Or as another DJ tool?
    That's what I was looking for in the Kaoss Pad, a way to tweak records live. But I have plans to start beatmaking so would the Roland be more versatile in that regard?

How are you planning to use the Roland? In a straight-up live performance setting? Or as another DJ tool?
    That's what I was looking for in the Kaoss Pad, a way to tweak records live. But I have plans to start beatmaking so would the Roland be more versatile in that regard?

well for your production outside of dj setting, are you plugged into instruments or strictly doing sampling?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Akallday, since you're the only one that seems to have played with this thing for an extended amount of time, how would you compare the effects to the Pioneer EFX series? Especially as far as usability.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

well for your production outside of dj setting, are you plugged into instruments or strictly doing sampling?

It'd be strictly sample-based loops, for now.

It'd be strictly sample-based loops, for now.

I think that if you are just doing sampling for now and not using any instruments and maybe bringing it to gigs and using it during your sets you could go with the 404 or the Kaoss. I would just be careful if you go with the Kaoss, like keep people the hell away from that fragile screen.

Akallday, since you're the only one that seems to have played with this thing for an extended amount of time, how would you compare the effects to the Pioneer EFX series? Especially as far as usability.

That pioneer series is soooo much more expensive! not sure why though.
    and manipulation as all knob based so I didn't even consider it because there are less expensive, better looking effects boxes that can do way more.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I would just be careful if you go with the Kaoss, like keep people the hell away from that fragile screen.

Have you used a Kaoss pad before? They're pretty durable. Nothing like an iPhone.

Kaoss Pad vs. SP-555 is apples and oranges..
    While the KP3 has some cool live sampling features, it's intended as a dj performance tool. The SP-555 is a sampler/sequencer, like an MPC. Either can be used live, but if you're looking for simplicity and don't want to get into production I'd go with the KP3.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

That pioneer series is soooo much more expensive! not sure why though.
    and manipulation as all knob based so I didn't even consider it because there are less expensive, better looking effects boxes that can do way more.

You can get a used Pioneer EFX 500 for less than $200. The EFX's effects are more basic, but functional. The Kaoss pad has a bunch of wacky effects that you probably won't use unless you're an IDM or techno DJ.

EFX 500 > Kaoss pad

[color:white]Plus, Josh uses an EFX so you know its cool. [/color]

• I would just be careful if you go with the Kaoss, like keep people the hell away from that fragile screen.

Have you used a Kaoss pad before? They're pretty durable. Nothing like an iPhone.

While the KP3 has some cool live sampling features, it's intended as a dj performance tool. The SP-555 is a sampler/sequencer, like an MPC. Either can be used live, but if you're looking for simplicity and don't want to get into production I'd go with the KP3.

thats exactly why i suggested it to him over the SP-555 for his needs at this point. i and still maintain that the Kaoss pad looks fragile, I know obviously it's not an iphone but in the context of what i said, my qualm was that i shy away from touch screen items in general.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I would just be careful if you go with the Kaoss, like keep people the hell away from that fragile screen.

I think I am gonna give the KP3 a try to start.
    The thing is I do want to get into production too. And I don't want to start buying multiple pieces of gear just yet. Do you think the KP3 is versatile enough for the studio? I know we're talking apples and oranges, but surely the KP3 does have applications beyond live performance...?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

The thing is I do want to get into production too. And I don't want to start buying multiple pieces of gear just yet. Do you think the KP3 is versatile enough for the studio? I know we're talking apples and oranges, but surely the KP3 does have applications beyond live performance...?

Alone? No. The KP3 is not what you want if you're looking for gear that will get you started on production. Not to say that it doesn't have its place in the studio, but it won't stand well on its own.

If you're looking to get started in this realm, I'd start out with the 303, 404, 555, or an MPC. You can always add effects boxes later.

If you're sold on the Kaoss pad idea AND want to get started on production for cheap, consider picking up a used KP1 or KP2 and a used sampler. Best of both worlds, and potentially cheaper than copping a new KP3 and/or 555.

• i still rock a 202!

This looks fun... i want something where i can catch and manipulate loops on the fly... but i think you can do this basically with a kaos pad.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    the worst is the button that you press it and has a vocal sample that yells "BANG THE BEATS ON!"

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    ehhhh, efx is industry standard and the big pull is for the wheel filter effect, all the other shit djs actually care about is on the standard pioneer mixers. this is what was pushing me towards the 404 for tape loop echoes and tweakable filters (ala isolators).

The capabilities of a kaoss pad (never needs calibration, can handle a crown spill or two from experience) are beyond what the sp404 or 555 can do and can be jaw dropping when used with restraint.

I guess my main reason for going with any roland is more sample pads.

jay

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    all the other shit djs actually care about is on the standard pioneer mixers

That would be great were it not for the fact that the "standard pioneer mixers" are

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    all the other shit djs actually care about is on the standard pioneer mixers

That would be great were it not for the fact that the "standard pioneer mixers" are

But they are often found in club installs. And the 800 and the 1000 are actually really really good.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Alone? No. The KP3 is not what you want if you're looking for gear that will get you started on production. Not to say that it doesn't have its place in the studio, but it won't stand well on its own.

If you're looking to get started in this realm, I'd start out with the 303, 404, 555, or an MPC. You can always add effects boxes later.

If you're sold on the Kaoss pad idea AND want to get started on production for cheap, consider picking up a used KP1 or KP2 and a used sampler. Best of both worlds, and potentially cheaper than copping a new KP3 and/or 555.

This is really helpful, thanks. The 555 has a grip of on-board effects. Is that only to apply to sounds I've recorded or can I use the 555 as an effects processor, running the line-in/out through the FX in/out on my mixer?
    Do I really need the KP for that?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

This is really helpful, thanks. The 555 has a grip of on-board effects. Is that only to apply to sounds I've recorded or can I use the 555 as an effects processor, running the line-in/out through the FX in/out on my mixer?

Yes you can use the 555 as an effects processor using the efx send/return from your mixer.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Yes you can use the 555 as an effects processor using the efx send/return from your mixer.

Does the 555 improve over the 303 as far as beat synced effects are concerned? I've tried rocking the 303 with my decks and its a pain to sync up things like delays. This is where the Kaoss pad or EFX would win, in my opinion, unless they've made improvements with the 555.