Manhattan Out-Of-Towners' Valentine's Dinner Strut

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
So I asked my lady what she'd like to do for Valentine's and her surprising reply was to go to NYC and see this:Help me find the perfect place to eat before or after the show in this area:Cort Theatre138 West 48th Street(Between 6th and 7th Avenue)NOT trying to find a fancy, expensive place -- we're doing that Friday night. Just trying to find the most awesome veg-friendly global cuisine in walking distance of the theatre, preferably an unpretentious place that won't be too slammed for Valentine's Day. Ideas?also interested in any other can't-miss activities for the weekend, we'll be in NYC from friday afternoon to early Sunday night. Anything special in terms of exhibits, music, repertory film screenings, records this weekend???pls feel free to turn thread into heated debate about whether or not Will Ferrell's funny as soon as several good places to eat have been dropped.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's a Morrocan Restaurant I went to right near Penn Station on like 37th and 10th or 9th. Ill figure it out.

But dude - Its gonna be swamped w/ goofy couple.

Everyone is gonna be lookin for that "out of the way" comfy spot.

I dont think anywhere in Manhattan especially near the Theatre district that can avoid the Doofi.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    brooklyn record riot @ the warsaw in greenpoint brooklyn
    sunday noon - 8pm

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    There's a Morrocan Restaurant I went to right near Penn Station on like 37th and 10th or 9th. Ill figure it out.

I dont think anywhere in Manhattan especially near the Theatre district that can avoid the Doofi.

all good to know. Moroccan would be cool. maybe I'll downsize my expectations to just being seated and served. show's at 8 and over by 10 so I'm thinking eating after might be more realistic than trying to get a reservation during 6-8 range.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    TAGINE 40th and 9th

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think you might be a bit late for res. Anywhere worth eating is booked up by this point. You're left w/ pretty much the pits by this point.

http://nyc.tablexchange.com/

There's this, but you have to pay to play.

V-day and Mother's Day are the two worst days to go out to eat on. If you can avoid it, do so.

I'll be cooking at home on Sat instead.

TAGINE 40th and 9th

reservation attempted, we'll see if they merely e-laugh in my e-face.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Becco. Bomb ass italian spot, mainly for the pasta menu. It's three different pasta dishes--all you care to eat--and a salad. NOT SOME OLIVE GARDEN BULLSHITFIASCO.

355 West 46 Street.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    brooklyn record riot @ the warsaw in greenpoint brooklyn
    sunday noon - 8pm
    yeah I was trying to go to that but got a gig all day. damnit.

• Victor's Cafe 236 W52d b, 21Cubanb, 21get the white sangria.b, 21b, 21P.S. the show is supposed to be horrible.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Batmon, Tagine looks like it's an awesome place, thanks for the suggestion. We did get a reservation there, but when we arrived they were just overwhelmed and didn't seem like they'd have a table ready for an hour or more and we decided to move on. But the atmosphere looked perfect and I hope to go back some time when they're less busy. We managed to find a decent Thai place a few blocks away that was less slammed.

the night before we had dinner with some friends at HanGawi, a Korean vegetarian place. anyone else been there? can't recommend it enough! like I imagine Tagine would be, it's the kind of place you want to chill for the whole evening, very big on atmosphere and course after course of inventive food.
    http://www.hangawirestaurant.com/

the show was fine. it made my girl laugh a lot, and that was the objective.

thanks to all for the recommendations.