"PLAYED TO DEATH" (Condition-related)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250368627703I think this is further proof that vinyl condition is not really that important when what's ultimately wanted is the object. And, really, the cover is more representative of the object than the disc, so it makes sense that people would pay $100 for something that's probably too rinked to be an enjoyable listen.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey now, it played "ok" on his Denon.

That's like VG+++ in some people's books.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i wonder if he would refund if it didn't "play all the way through" on your own denon?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Didn't Faux Rillz once call this one overrated?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I think this is further proof that vinyl condition is not really that important when what's ultimately wanted is the object.

amen.

I have purchased a few records that were not that playable just to have them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I think, for the amount of money it commands, it probably is. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a copy but I'd sooner blow the loot for an original Har-You.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    But you can get a nice sealed Har-You for $12!!!

I bought my sleeveless Saboreando for 50c. This auction would have been great for me.

Now I'll just have to print this out, paste it on, and then use a magic marker to get rid of all the ring wear!

• how about this one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Tatum-OG-CONTE...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Lp is VG-
    " Now the bad news: the record has seen better days, and has both light and heavier scratches, as well as heat damage that makes a "shhh" sound for the first 1/2" of playing"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

No, that was someone else--I remember the incident, but can't recall who it was.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

No, that was someone else--I remember the incident, but can't recall who it was.
    A**rew?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Lp is VG-
    " Now the bad news: the record has seen better days, and has both light and heavier scratches, as well as heat damage that makes a "shhh" sound for the first 1/2" of playing"

I guess "VG+ condition anger issues" are only applicable when you're the buyer

• how about this one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Tatum-OG-CONTE...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Lp is VG-

Thank you for the free advertisement

I just bought a VG+ copy for a little over $200. Hey, I'm not going to argue! I'm honest, too - it's VG- with light heat damage. Shrug.

• PS: 40+ watchers on that one! I don't really get it either. I would have been happy with $50. I think you're right Rey, people want some name-brand record, even if it's wrecked. "I got 107th st. stickball team for $100"

well, it's great lp( shrug)

• I guess "VG+ condition anger issues" are only applicable when you're the buyer

Hahah - well said!

on a certain level I just don't get some of these people/ bidders, it's one thing to buy a scratched up 45 for dj purposes or something - but dropping 2 bills on heat damaged lps???

what part of the game is that?

I'd rather roll with some mpfrees if thats what it came to!

b/w

get that yaper aschrock!

• I RESTATE NON-AMAZEDNESS ABOUT 107TH ST. STICKBALL TEAM.

But Rey, you will be happy to know king nando has grown on me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ariel_calmer said:
    I RESTATE NON-AMAZEDNESS ABOUT 107TH ST. STICKBALL TEAM.
    :hi: