Sample Question

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
What is that "aaaayyyyyyyyyyy" sound that was used on "Shook Ones Pt II" and "How Many Emcees" among others?paging Phill

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oops nevermind

• I was thinking about the $ soundtrack from Quincy Jones, but I could be hearing the wrong "aaaaaaaaaayyyyy"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I was thinking about the $ soundtrack from Quincy Jones, but I could be hearing the wrong "aaaaaaaaaayyyyy"

That's what I thought, but I don't know what sounds those two cuts have in commmon so I'm having trouble here. I've got them both on my iPhone, which gives you an idea of my age.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you listen to "How Many Emcees", it's the "aaaaayyyyy" in the background during the chorus. It's a definite VOCAL sample, not the whine that you're probably thinking of from Jones.

Imagine a pitched up version of Red Alert's signature "yeeaaaaahhhh!" and you'll hear what I think JP is asking about.

• Yeah I think Havoc just looped it a few times on Shook Ones. I might be way wrong. it's the sound you hear right at the intro underneath that whine which I think is from $. Sounds like the same thing to me... it's been used in other tracks too.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    If you listen to "How Many Emcees", it's the "aaaaayyyyy" in the background during the chorus. It's a definite VOCAL sample, not the whine that you're probably thinking of from Jones.

Imagine a pitched up version of Red Alert's signature "yeeaaaaahhhh!" and you'll hear what I think JP is asking about.

I just checked on the iPhizzle and wow, that's subtle. I don't really hear that sound in Shook Ones, though. The sound in the intro that Johnny mentioned sounds like part of $ soundtrack sample, although that could be wrong.

In any case, I wouldn't begin to know how to figure out what the hell those are aside from calling up Evil D and Havoc. I wonder if they would remember such minor, textural elements like those.

• I always thought it was from the JBs but I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure other producers have used this?

• In the beginning of Shook Ones Part 2 there is an obvious AAAAAaaaaaaaaa underneath.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    What is that "aaaayyyyyyyyyyy" sound that was used on "Shook Ones Pt II" and "How Many Emcees" among others?

I've always heard that as a tweaked version of the introductory "heeeeeeyyyy" from the J.B.seses' "Gimme Some More."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hair dryer.

• Hair dryer.

If it was Timbaland, he would say "a Kitty Carry All doll"
    Bill Stephney: "a tea kettle"

• What is that "aaaayyyyyyyyyyy" sound that was used on "Shook Ones Pt II" and "How Many Emcees" among others?

I've always heard that as a tweaked version of the introductory "heeeeeeyyyy" from the J.B.seses' "Gimme Some More."

That's what I always thought it was, but I tried doing it back in the day and couldn't get it to sound right.

Maybe I should try again!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LOL @ JP's new avatar. I've been waiting for some cheeky selleur to pick up on that one.

Euroman is a popular danish lifestyle magazine for dudes with time and money on their hands. The man on the cover of that issue is a G-rated comedian by the name of Thomas Eje who tried his hand at conquering Las Vegas under the alias Tom Dane.

And of course there's a estrogen equivalent:

• I figured I might be able to find a more fitting cover person, but the grill was too priceless.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Does that say "skinheads special"?

• In the beginning of Shook Ones Part 2 there is an obvious AAAAAaaaaaaaaa underneath.

while the subject is shook ones, did someone ever figure out definativly what the main sample is ?

that high screeching sample certainly doesn't sound like a human voice...sounds like a horn stab.

• while the subject is shook ones, did someone ever figure out definativly what the main sample is ?

that high screeching sample certainly doesn't sound like a human voice...sounds like a horn stab.

the main sample is some banjo record.

the screeching to me always sounded like a hair dryer or some kind of appliance

• waaaaaaaaaaaait for it...

oh

• Is it...?

• while the subject is shook ones, did someone ever figure out definativly what the main sample is ?

the main sample is some banjo record.

the screeching to me always sounded like a hair dryer or some kind of appliance

People always say Craig Mack's Flava in your ear sampled a hair dryer but it def. didn't

• The screeching supposedly is from QJ's Dollar$ soundtrack - Kitty with the bent frame. The main sample is Ron Gainer's Thackeray Meets Faculty. Now where is that breaks-gramelin?

http://www.zshare.net/download/9811640263574f/

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Does that say "skinheads special"?

No, "beauty special".

Re: the sample: Shook Ones screech is definitely "Kitty With The Bent Frame From" the $ OST, but it doesn't sound like the vocal "aaaaah" sample from the Black Moon song. I've heard that one used in other songs but I don't know where it's from.

• most def. not thackery.... sayin'

i'd believe a banjo record over that

• The main sample is not thackery...I heard the sample this summer. I think it's on "They Call Me Mister Tibbs" or some soundtrack with Sidney Poitier. It's just chopped up. It's not really that hard to discern really.