Should I feel bad asking for a raise....

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
when part of my justification is the amount of costs I've cut which of course have resulted in people losing their jobs? I mean, I feel for people losing their jobs and all but these are the kinds of jobs that were on some "how long did you think this job would be around?" shit. That plus the whole everyone is doing shitty financially situation going on right now. I'm supposed to get an automatic one (which as far as I know has not been put on froze..... yet) but strongly considering asking for a decent amount more.

Comments

• How long have you been working there?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've worked there temporarily on and off for about a year and a half total. "Permanently" for about a year. I'm not even taking the temporary time into consideration for this.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    A closed mouth doesn't get fed.

• Doesn't hurt to ask; don't be upset if your shot down, though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't think I'm going to have a problem asking for a raise. It's more of the why which is basically going to be "Well, we're saving a lot of money now because these dudes don't have jobs." I'm not that soulless yet...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    2009 = NOT the Year Of The Pay Increase

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    If you're in a position where it would cost the company more to replace you than to give you a raise, then you always ask for more money. I do it twice a year... works every time!

Rock-A-Logic Rule Of Life #128

The very day you think your company can't go on without you is the day you'll get fired.

• If your salary is not competitive for its position, and you feel like you do much more since these people have been let go, you might have a case. But if your responsabilities are pretty much the same, and your rationale is that they are no longer paying a bunch of people so they should be able to pay you more, you will be laughed at and possibly fired. If everyone else is getting more money as a result of letting those people go, then you should get your share of the pie too. I'm with Rock though, 2009 is not a year to be asking for pay increases in general.

• Rock-A-Logic Rule Of Life #128

The very day you think your company can't go on without you is the day you'll get fired.

I have found that to be quite true.

It's not whether or not they can go on without you, it's whether or not it will cost them more in time and money without you.

This only works if you make yourself irreplaceable with a unique skill set or a unique understanding of the company, industry, etc. and are able to sell yourself as such. If you're just another cog in the wheel, then you're completely replaceable and will probably get canned if you start demanding more money.

• when part of my justification is the amount of costs I've cut which of course have resulted in people losing their jobs?

Wasn't there an episode of The Office where Michael got a bonus for this exact reason?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

It's not whether or not they can go on without you, it's whether or not it will cost them more in time and money without you.

This only works if you make yourself irreplaceable with a unique skill set or a unique understanding of the company, industry, etc. and are able to sell yourself as such.
    Irreplaceable would be a strong description but the rest of that fits me pretty well. I'm pretty confident in my job security and honestly, if they started getting rid of people like me, things would fall apart and I would probably seek other opportunities (if there are any!)

when part of my justification is the amount of costs I've cut

Oh yeah... so that doesn't work when you're dealing with the past tense. Cutting costs is just part of your job... you'll never get more than a pat on the back for that. The only way to make that work in your favor is to talk on costs you can cut in the future if you and only you continue working there.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Ive been working harder and more efficiently than everyone in the office (that i am now coordinating) and I'll be getting a raise to get paid as much as them

bittersweet

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I am very lucky as I have received 2 raises in the past two months.

However, for the position that I am, is below what most people in my position are "supposed" to be paid.

I am grateful, but can't wait to get to the rate that is "normal" for my position.

I say try, and stay open minded.

This only works if you make yourself irreplaceable with a unique skill set or a unique understanding of the company, industry, etc. and are able to sell yourself as such. If you're just another cog in the wheel, then you're completely replaceable and will probably get canned if you start demanding more money.

I can't emphasize this enough and I've seen it MANY times.

NO ONE IS IRREPLACEABLE!!!!!!

No offense Ferrari but if god forbid you got killed on the way home from work today the company you work for would not fold up it's tent and go home.

Granted....some folks are more valuable and harder to replace than others.

But don't EVER think you're irreplaceable.....not good for your karma.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I can't emphasize this enough and I've seen it MANY times.

No offense Ferrari but if god forbid you got killed on the way home from work today the company you work for would not fold up it's tent and go home.

I think he was making the stronger point that if it is going to cost your company more money and time to replace you than to just give you a raise, you'll more than likely get one. That's about as "irreplaceable" as it gets.

Agreed... poor choice of the word "irreplaceable" on my part. I mean more difficult and costly to replace than to keep. The tricky part to my whole theory is getting to that point, but if you get there you should take advantage of it.