ethical and practical question on CD comp.

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I'm going to spin records at the Maine African Film Festival in Portland this April and the director of the festival asked if I would want to sell CDs at the event and donate a portion of the proceeds to the Nigerian child relief organisation that is being supported by the festival. I thought maybe I should put together what essentially would be a unlicensed bootleg CD only for this purpose and donate all money made to this organisation. Maybe get a small run of perhaps 200 CDs and what doesn't get sold, I could either trash or sell them to a few stores around town and donate that money, too. The director loved the idea. I'm aware that a bootleg is a bootleg regardless what's been done with the money but maybe in this case I shouldn't worry too much.I'd like to get some halfway professinal CDs done, does anyone know a place that's reliable, cost effective on such small runs and won't worry too much about legalities?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that's an ethically top notch idea. Run with it.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I have not used them yet, but plan to in the near future due to their nice prices:

www.mixonic.com

If you are worried about legal issues, you can opt to have 200 blank - but with your artwork on the label - CD-Rs made, and burn the content yourself.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    A couple friends did the same thing last year and I've got no problem with it. Small limited runs with all profits going to a good charity is at the very least a noble effort.

• I think if you make sure all the tracks are Nigerian nobody could have a legit complaint against all the proceeds going to a Nigerian based charity. some artists can get a little crazy if they believe they are being ripped off under any circumstance though, especially ones with "legal representation" so be prepared whatever.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Make sure to check out Timelag records while you're there. Not too many record spots in Portland when I was there this past summer but that was a good one.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Frank,

I've done runs of 200 with RL Sound Labs on w. 33rd before, never had a problem, price was right, and they did a good job thermal printing the layout my friend did for me. I've only gotten discs on spindles tho, can't vouch for their packaging...

• I have some dudes in town here who do professional CD duplication super cheap(and are unconcerned with copyrights and stuff), if you cant find anyone let me know...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you make this effort for no personal gain, you are pretty much in the clear on all the mainstream theories of ethics out there right now. Ethical science says go for it.

• Does ethical science also dictate that copies should be available to strutters who also wouldn't mind contributing to the charity?

Does ethical science also dictate that copies should be available to strutters who also wouldn't mind contributing to the charity?

ESSENTIAL QUERY

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The only remotely ethical thing I can think of with this is that some of the artists might not support the organization you are choosing to donate to.

• Does ethical science also dictate that copies should be available to strutters who also wouldn't mind contributing to the charity?

ESSENTIAL QUERY
    Aristotle, Kant, and Mill would all say yes.

THOU SHALT SENDETH THROUGHOUT THE TRIBE

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'll buy one no question.

• I'll buy one no question.

As would I...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What about people buying for speculative purposes? Couldn't this CD become an item of significant monetary value fairly quickly?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey! Thanx everybody for the great input! I'll keep you posted and might even be so bold as to sell off some copies in the "sales" section. Reynaldo, do CDs become collectible these days? That's crazy!

There are also some "real" and legit re-issues in the works by the way...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Rey has a point.
    I shall now buy 5.

• Rey has a point.
    I shall now buy 10.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You only need one copy--from there you can bootleg the bootleg with impunity.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bootleg2

• I have also been looking into to doing something like this and have been struggling with the ethics of it as well. Good to know people are in support.

I'm assuming there's no difference in doing a CD comp or pressing it on LP? Harder to bootleg I suppose.

ESSENTIAL QUERY

Dude, aren't you like, an ethic musicologist or something?

ethic musicologist

Emerging field!