DJ PA system recommendations?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Since moving from NC to LA, I had to leave part of PA system behind. But now I have 2 club gigs & a wedding coming up, so it's time to get my equipment weight up. I currently have decks, mixer,??four 15" speakers & speaker stands so I just need these:- Power Amp - EQ- Crossover (I think. What the hell does this do, anyway?)- Road-ready rackmount case for the above- Subwoofer (never had one before but I think it'll come in handy if I can find space for it)- Wireless mic system I had a Crown CE-1000 amp before (http://www.hollywooddj.com/ce1000.html), and it worked great for weddings & parties except that it was prone to cutting out at very high volumes when it was running for 2+ hours or so. I don't need the highest-end equipment nor do I want to cut corners. I just want solid dependable gear that will be suitable for a 150-200 person crowd and won't crap out on me after 2 months.Recommendations anyone?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Get a bigger Crown amp.
    If you get an unpowered sub you'll probably need a crossover. A dedicated EQ would do it so you only send the lows but they can take a lot of signal out.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Get one of those iDJ things were you can scratch from the dancefloor.

• Thx for the advice on amp power and crossover.

Anyone else have a DJ system they're satisfied with that they can list?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Thx for the advice on amp power and crossover.

I'm now up to 4 JBL Eon15 G2 powered monitor speakers. And I recently added a pair of JBL Eon15 G2 subs, which fill out the bottom end beautifully.
    Since the Eons are powered, I don't need an amp. I run XLRs directly out of my Mackie D.2 mixer.
    I played a corporate event last month in the atrium at this space and simply daisy chained sub + monitor + monitor on each channel and it sounded great, even in a cavernous space like that one.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Don't fusk with wireless mics.
    Get an Elvis mic and feel good about it. They look damn good and command attention. And the photographer at the wedding will be taking lots of pictures with it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I'm now up to 4 JBL Eon15 G2 powered monitor speakers. And I recently added a pair of JBL Eon15 G2 subs, which fill out the bottom end beautifully.
    Since the Eons are powered, I don't need an amp. I run XLRs directly out of my Mackie D.2 mixer.
    I played a corporate event last month in the atrium at this space and simply daisy chained sub + monitor + monitor on each channel and it sounded great, even in a cavernous space like that one.

I did a wedding with D and I was super impressed with the set-up, sounds great and was easy as pie to throw it up. If I was getting gear now I would essentially bite that blueprint.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've tried several different wireless mics. Spending up to $600 and they all had problems especially when doing an outside event. There's just too many potential F*ck ups with those things and last thing you need your shit f*cking up when the Father of the Bride is up there spilling his guts or something like that. I tell people ahead of time that I do not use wireless mics because of those reasons and they are always OK with that. It also help that I have 2 100' cables.

Jesus Durl! I bet that shit sounds good. Damn.

You like that Mackie? It's 3 ch right? I'm leaning towards the Empath though. I need that 3rd channel.

I did a wedding with D and I was super impressed with the set-up, sounds great and was easy as pie to throw it up. If I was getting gear now I would essentially bite that blueprint.

Yup. As far a good full sounding basic system. The B52 is great. But that bitch is hell to move around.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Are you looking to buy or high for these gigs?

I can recommend you a couple of people if you need 'em.

• Are you looking to buy or high for these gigs?

I can recommend you a couple of people if you need 'em.

I think I want to buy an amp/Eq/case and mic for longterm use. But I can probably just rent a sub if you know someone who'll loan it cheap. The main gig I'm concerned about right now is Masala Beat Club at the Barbarella Bar on March 5th. I just signed the gig agreement last night, but also found out they have NO DJ/PA equipment whatsoever.

Let's talk it over this Sat at The Echo if you're coming out - Miles asked me to spin this weekend.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Yup. As far a good full sounding basic system. The B52 is great. But that bitch is hell to move around.

Yeah, the B52 is solid. But because of the inconvenience, I gotta admit I fell out of love with that B52 set-up pretty fast. It turns a flight of stairs into Mount Everest.
    The JBL Eon15s are the way to go. I have two pair because I occasionally have to provide sound in two separate rooms at private events. Nitekrawler clued me in to the Eon15 subs a few months ago. Grabbed a gently-used pair on the 'Bay and was really impressed with the bottom end they crank out.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Jesus Durl! I bet that shit sounds good. Damn.

You like that Mackie? It's 3 ch right? I'm leaning towards the Empath though. I need that 3rd channel.

I do like the Mackie a lot, but I sometimes get bleed-through on the crossfader.
    They released the 4-channel version last year and it is impressive.
    I bought the Mackie for the [at the time unique] Firewire feature. This was long before I bought Microwave. So if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy a Rane mixer...

• I know Im gonna get a lot of "oh hell naws"...but the redneck Memphis rocker in me makes me suggest a Peavy power amp (70s or 80s model)...built like tanks and loud as fugg, when Andrew and I had our midnight to six nights at a spot with no PA, we blew the roof off the place with a Peavy...if its good enough for Ronnie Van Zandt...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah, the B52 is solid. But because of the inconvenience, I gotta admit I fell out of love with that B52 set-up pretty fast. It turns a flight of stairs into Mount Everest.
    Agreed, I need to cop some Eons.

• I use a RCF 15" sub with my two mackie SRM-450's. I love it. When I was looking at subs, I called someone who makes custom speakers and mentioned that I was considering something like the mackie sub that is usually paired with srm-450's and he recommended the RCF. I'm pretty happy with it. It's heavy, but if you have a cart it isn't a problem.
    It rolled down a hill once. I had to carry that bastard up, but I plugged it in and it worked fine.
    Check it out here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441487-REG/RCF_ART_705_AS_ART705AS_15_Active_Bandpass.html

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Seems like Marcossa has dropped out of this thread completely...

• I'm here, but I've been very busy. Plus everyone seems to be advising me on powered speakers, which is cool but already have four 15" speakers; I really need help w/ amp & eq recommendations. Thanks for all the help though!