Deram records

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
What's the deal with this label? I have one record on that label (Mike Westbrook's Love Songs) and I like it. I think Keef Hartley has recorded on that label as well. Anyway, is there any other quality releases on this label?

Comments

• What's the deal with this label? I have one record on that label (Mike Westbrook's Love Songs) and I like it. I think Keef Hartley has recorded on that label as well. Anyway, is there any other quality releases on this label?

Tons, mostly UK psyche and freakbeat (Syn, Outer Limits, Tintern Abbey) , but also soul (Flirtations), prog, blues etc.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What's up, Funky16? Thanks again, coming thru as always.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Cop yourself an Egg self titled, and a Mono press of the Procol Harum S/T...

[color:white] ...and all those Moody Blues LPs [/color]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION:

John Cameron - Off Center LP (feat. "Troublemaker" and "Defina Querida")

flutist Harold McNair at his best!

John Cameron...is that dude from England? That name sounds real familiar. dCastillo, how hard is it to find a copy of Egg? I see a lot of Procol Harum LP's when I hit the bins.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION:

John Cameron - Off Center LP (feat. "Troublemaker" and "Defina Querida")

flutist Harold McNair at his best!

I want these both. Anybody got a spare hit me o nthe PM.

isn't the Battered Ornaments LP on this label as well?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Sunforest.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I want these both. Anybody got a spare hit me o nthe PM.

isn't the Battered Ornaments LP on this label as well?
    harvest

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I particularly fond of Ten Year's After "Sugar the Road", you can find it on the LP "Cricklewood Green" in your local dollar bin.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What's the deal with this label? I have one record on that label (Mike Westbrook's Love Songs) and I like it. I think Keef Hartley has recorded on that label as well. Anyway, is there any other quality releases on this label?

That Camarata/Eric Satie record that has been sampled is on Deram. Johnny Almond has a nice one. Chicken Shack for the blues rock thing. If I recall all the Moody Blues are on Deram. Back in the day I listened to all those Moody Blues and Procol Harem but was completely oblivious to the raer sike others are posting. Any way Deram = British late 60s early 70s.

Dan

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I think Keef Hartley has recorded on that label as well.

if you haven't already, check out his 'overdog' lp on deram.

really really good.

Johnny Almond has a nice one.
    Hey Dan, is this the one called Johnny Almond's Music Machine or something to that effect?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    John Cameron...is that dude from England? That name sounds real familiar.

He's the KPM guy. Afro Rock, Jazz Rock, etc

Johnny Almond's got two great albums on Deram. One called Patend Pending, the other one is self titled, I believe and features "Solar Level" )sampled by Black Sheep).

John Cameron...is that dude from England? That name sounds real familiar.

He's the KPM guy. Afro Rock, Jazz Rock, etc

Johnny Almond's got two great albums on Deram. One called Patend Pending, the other one is self titled, I believe and features "Solar Level" )sampled by Black Sheep).
    Yes, that's where I heard that name from (and probably why I associated him with England/UK). That's the Johnny Almond album I'm talking about (Patend Pending). Thanks, Grope.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Johnny Almond has a nice one.
    Hey Dan, is this the one called Johnny Almond's Music Machine or something to that effect?

Nah, that's the name of his group, I believe. He recorded two LPs on Deram. One LP is called "Hollywood Blues", the other one is "Patend Pending".

Also check a group called The Web! Dope, dope, dope, but expensive!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Sorry, I was wrong. "Patend Pending" has "Solar Level". Hollywood Blues is a bit more mellow. No real Funk tunes or super groovy Jazz. A bit of Blues, nice flutes, etc

, I guess.

• Cop yourself an Egg self titled, and a Mono press of the Procol Harum S/T...

Why the mono, just out of curiosity? I have the stereo 1st press. Repent Walpurgis is the shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet: most Deram releases other than Moody Blues, Keef Hartley, Johnny Almond and Procol Harum are British only and raer (i.e. you won't see most of this stuff in the states...)

• Yeah, there are meny heavy psych folk things on Deram. They all seem to have similar covers. Are any of those things reissued, because I'd rather not have to pay 1200 dollars or whatever to hear it.

Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet: most Deram releases other than Moody Blues, Keef Hartley, Johnny Almond and Procol Harum are British only and raer (i.e. you won't see most of this stuff in the states...)
    That's what it seemed like but I guess you confirmed it, DigDug.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

, I guess.

100 Euros at my local spot, which is still kinda steep. It's rare, but more rock-ish. I listened to it. I remember it being good.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    twoply said it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet: most Deram releases other than Moody Blues, Keef Hartley, Johnny Almond and Procol Harum

...and Ten Years After...

are British only and raer (i.e. you won't see most of this stuff in the states...)

Lucked out a few years ago and found a Deram single of "I Can Hear The Grass Grow" by the Move for a dollar.

, I guess.

100 Euros at my local spot, which is still kinda steep. It's rare, but more rock-ish. I listened to it. I remember it being good.
    How much is that in US dollars?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    125 USD

125 USD

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cop yourself an Egg self titled, and a Mono press of the Procol Harum S/T...

I had both Egg records on Deram, they both sold quickly, despite not being UK presses. Dope records. Cop a US press and save yourself a couple bucks.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    125 USD

I didn't buy it. Just listening to it on the stores record player.

Cop a US press and save yourself a couple bucks.
    YESSIR.