weekend finds

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• Yo Holmes, Tell me those Dorandos were in the mail, not the field... I haven't found ***t at Groovy in some, when the hell are they going to get some stock in?

What do you think of the OS track? They got a really nice motown sounding joint in the can too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    [/img]

GET ON MY f*cking LEVEL

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's the sheet music

A nice artefact, though

• ok weekend

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yo Holmes, Tell me those Dorandos were in the mail, not the field... I haven't found ***t at Groovy in some, when the hell are they going to get some stock in?

What do you think of the OS track? They got a really nice motown sounding joint in the can too.

Damn.. is there a new Opensouls 45 out? Is it available anywhere online yet?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

The kellee lp was free. Straight

If anyone has an extra copy holler at me. I need doubles.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yo Holmes, Tell me those Dorandos were in the mail, not the field... I haven't found ***t at Groovy in some, when the hell are they going to get some stock in?

Yeah Darondos were found in my mailbox, Groovy sucks the bozak at the moment, I'm pretty much just liquidating CDs there & swapping them for some LPs. Apparently there are a few thousand LPs from the US to put out over the coming weeks, but what is out so far looks pretty shit so I don't hold much hope. There is supposed to be a new lot of 45s sometime soon also as well as some "collectable $50 45s which they've creamed off the top". I'm not holding my breath though. They've started ebaying all the great known stuff before it even hits the floor again too.

I love the Opensouls 45, we bought a copy each on the weekend,good stuff. Can't get the mp3 download page to work properly though.

• "collectable $50 45s which they've creamed off the top".

All due respect to the crew down there - but every $50 45 I've scored from Groovy has been found in the $3-6 price range - they don't really know what's what. Not that I'm complaining...

• Kinetic... let me ask them and if not I'll grab one for ya

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Kinetic... let me ask them and if not I'll grab one for ya

Sweet!

I've got all their 45s now except for the one that came in the yellow pic sleeve.

Signed, their biggest fanboy in Oz.

"collectable $50 45s which they've creamed off the top".

All due respect to the crew down there - but every $50 45 I've scored from Groovy has been found in the $3-6 price range - they don't really know what's what. Not that I'm complaining...
    Yeah, I couldn't see the eyeroll icon so I had to put it in quotation marks. Definitely taken with a grain of salt.

the one that came in the yellow pic sleeve.

That one possibly kicks the most ass. I can't find my copy of "Rise Up" though, I think I misfiled it in the collection a while back but haven't come across it again yet, stupid bermuda triangle of a 45 wall is frustrating at times.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

the one that came in the yellow pic sleeve.

That one possibly kicks the most ass. I can't find my copy of "Rise Up" though, I think I misfiled it in the collection a while back but haven't come across it again yet, stupid bermuda triangle of a 45 wall is frustrating at times.

One side of it is on the 12" that came out on that Japanese label though, and I picked that up cheap a few months back which I was pretty happy about. But yeah, let em know if you come across a spare in your travels down there!

Very hot tune. I was gonna cop, but the warp had me second guessing.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Copped Eddie Henderson's "Inside Out" and it's awesome. Buster Williams, Herbie Hancock, Bennie Maupin, among some of the jazz-fusion greats...along the lines of Bitches Brew, Hancock's experiemental shit, and Buster Williams Pinnacle.

• Girl You Need A Change Of Mind / Eddie Kendricks
    You Made A Believer / Ruby Andrews
    Coming Home Baby / Joe Thomas Group

Soul Sauce / Shirley Scott - gift from a mate
    There It Is / James Brown
    Love Comes In All Colours / Forbidden Circle
    Soul Man / Sweet Charles
    Gold Coast / Hoctor
    Jazz In Port Said / Eddie Kochak & Amer-Abic Orchestra - this is really cool arabic jazz track

Try Me / Wee - reish
    Love (Your Pain Goes Deep) / Frankie Beverly
    You Lost Your Thing / Hank Johnson - boot
    Just Test / Byard Lancaster - love this
    Nefertiti / Wisdom
    In A Moment / The Intrigues - reish

• Great albums... coincidently I threw the Marrero version of 'Feel like makin love' on my latest mix, as well as using the Black sugar: Pussy Cat as the outro.

I've wondered about the Benitez album: does it have either of the tracks 'Nichtlife' or 'butterfly', comped by soul jazz back in the day? If you know those tracks, does the album sound like them? They're hot at hell.

Great albums... coincidently I threw the Marrero version of 'Feel like makin love' on my latest mix, as well as using the Black sugar: Pussy Cat as the outro.

I've wondered about the Benitez album: does it have either of the tracks 'Nichtlife' or 'butterfly', comped by soul jazz back in the day? If you know those tracks, does the album sound like them? They're hot at hell.

The Benitez is the shit, essential in my mind. Such a solid album allthewaythrough, with a totally consistent sound. Its got Nightlife, but I'm not sure about Butterfly. I'll check when I get off work. He's also got a late 70s album that seems pretty sought after. Haven't heard that one, tho.

Your mix is quite hott, btw!

• Thanks! Benitez is now on the hit list, again.

• minimini 879 Posts

• Post deleted by fishmongerfunk

• soft machine -third (uk press)
    the meters - fire on the bayou (dj promo)
    jeru - wrath of the math
    jeru - sun rises in the east
    killarmy - dirty weaponary

Funky ZZ Top?

"It's Only Love" Smashes schitt

"It's Only Love" Smashes schitt

What kind of shit does it smash?

jeru - wrath of the math
    I gave this a spin for the first time in years the other night trying to decide to keep it. Not as terrible as I thought it would be so I kept it. Whatever happened to Jeru?

• "It's Only Love" Smashes schitt

What kind of shit does it smash?

Seriously all of side A is amazing. And of course it's only love has always had a sweet break if, like, that's the kind of thing that you're into and that's what you seek you will find it, but you will also find an album you can listen to all the way through with pleasure

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Very hot tune. I was gonna cop, but the warp had me second guessing.

I DJ'd a bit with this last Tues in the store. It played fine, although I may have manhandled it slightly and also had a bit of a bloody hangnail.