shanghai strut

the_spacethe_space 74 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
i left my comfortable life in seattle, and am now in taipei en route to shanghai, where i intend to try my best to settle down and be content (fusk this economy). though i should be excited (i am), i feel a tremendous tinge of fear due to uncertainty. what songs can strutters think of that epitomize transition, travel, being on the road, and the tenuous balance that comes with it?

Comments

• good luck on your journey. yes there are records in taipei, no there are no records in shanghai.

i find thoughtful introspective music works for me when i'm traveling, but at the moment, i can't think of any specific titles. something with moody and minor chords maybe, well maybe that elysian spring song (one that is sort of off kilter bossa), also recently i was listening to rosa per tutti soundtrack, bossa works, baden powell, that sort of stuff, but i'm sure it differs from person to person. for some reason reggae and avant garde music don't work for me when traveling.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I loaded my ipod up with jazz for days for my last o/s trip. Free jazz seems to work really well when your staring out of a plane window looking at clouds float by.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What are planning to do out in Shanghai?

• when you get there, go to windows scoreboard.[/b]
    dope little pub.

they also have windows underground.[/b]
    that one gots djs.

i was there last week.
    dope city.

watch out for dong ren lu (road).
    unless you like fighting off zombie hookers making blowjob motions.

• dope! shanghai is great. i'll be visiting soon. depending on what you're into, i might be able to recommend some music things to check out.

in the meantime,

http://shanghaiist.com

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOVE Shanghai! My favorite city in the world right now. I think I'll be back there next month. Going out all night in Shanghai is crazy fun. Hit the Shanghai museum and wander through the old French district. Eat some crab shao long bao! What are you doing there for work? How long are you going to stay?

• no there are no records in shanghai.

Well... not entirely true.

• no there are no records in shanghai.

Well... not entirely true.

you're right that city has changed a lot in recent years so it's not unlikely this is the case...

• i'm an internet software dude by experience, so i'm hoping to find something similar out there. my dream gig would be at an internet or green energy startup/fund, but right now, i'm a little dude. i guess i'm just hoping to get something exciting.

right now i'm just going to do the whole apply to shit and interview circuit, though i do also intend to continue writing. hopefully i can improve.

pm me if anyone is going to want to kick it in shanghai. i can to you around the city in a rickshaw like shortround in indiana jones. no, not really.

• i'm an internet software dude by experience, so i'm hoping to find something similar out there. my dream gig would be at an internet or green energy startup/fund, but right now, i'm a little dude. i guess i'm just hoping to get something exciting.

right now i'm just going to do the whole apply to shit and interview circuit, though i do also intend to continue writing. hopefully i can improve.

pm me if anyone is going to want to kick it in shanghai. i can to you around the city in a rickshaw like shortround in indiana jones. no, not really.

do you speak chinese ?

i'm an internet software dude by experience, so i'm hoping to find something similar out there. my dream gig would be at an internet or green energy startup/fund, but right now, i'm a little dude. i guess i'm just hoping to get something exciting.

do you speak chinese ?

If not, you better

• yeah i can. reading and writing is a challenge, which makes everyone there think i am retarded.

yeah i can. reading and writing is a challenge, which makes everyone there think i am retarded.

For real, I had a doctor in Shanghai once clown me for not having better Chinese skills. Talk about weak patient treatment!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i'm an internet software dude by experience, so i'm hoping to find something similar out there. my dream gig would be at an internet or green energy startup/fund, but right now, i'm a little dude. i guess i'm just hoping to get something exciting.

do you speak chinese ?

If not, you better

Oh Mos Def! Shanghai is nowhere near as English friendly as Tokyo or Seoul. I always roll with some nice Shanghai lady friends that will scream on cab drivers, bargain for me when shopping, order all the good local food and keep it real at all times. Also, a second language comes in handy people! I can actually speak Japanese at a lot of places in Shanghai and with some of the locals as well.