When will the economy get back to normal?

2»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Here's a dumb Econ 101 question I have:

Can a capitalist economy grow in any meaningful way if society doesn't spend at least a little frivalously? The impression I get is that a saving society, one that tries to make shit last as long as possible before replacing and doesn't get caught up in consumption competition...those economies are fucked.

I'm assuming this is wrong but maybe Stacks or someone else can explain why.
    Countries that have a high savings rate have more money to invest which injects a more sustainable amount of money into the economy than consumption spending.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Can a capitalist economy grow in any meaningful way if society doesn't spend at least a little frivalously? The impression I get is that a saving society, one that tries to make shit last as long as possible before replacing and doesn't get caught up in consumption competition...those economies are fucked.

Countries that have a high savings rate have more money to invest which injects a more sustainable amount of money into the economy than consumption spending.

Some countries had very high savings rates and based their economies upon exports. Of course, now that the world has gone into recession these economies are trying to re-think their startegies because their export markets have collapsed.

I think China followed that model. Their real estate market also collapsed like America's so a lot of the people that saved all this money and put it into homes have lost a bundle. The government is trying to force down housing prices to get more domestic spending, but that has screwed the people that already bought homes because some have lost 1/2 or more of their investment in a house.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Ray Liotta on our situation, from BLOW

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Shit was massively overvalued and used as collateral for more virtual debt. Apparently the world has lost 40% of it's total wealth in the last 15 months. Most of that has to be popped virtual financial bubbles, full of rainbows, blown by unicorns.

No ayo.

First thing seems to get people feeling they will have a job in 3 months. They might spend then.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Things are normal. This economy looks much like 1982.

Housing: Where I live housing prices were doubling every 2-5 years. Housing prices have not dropped here as much as else where. I think they will continue to drop for the next 4-5 years. Simple put, houses are overpriced here.

Wall street: "Smart guys" have created a bunch of "investment instruments" out of credit card debt and auto debt. These are just like all those derivatives/securities that failed last fall. These also will fail and cause more havoc.

Service & retail: Our economy is based not on making things but on buying things. It's just a stupid model and I hope it never comes back.

Good news: The boom in the late 1800s was based on railroad. Then we had a steel/manufacturing boom. Then a post war industrial boom. Computers. Internet. Energy.

There will be another boom in the next 4 years. My guess is it will be centered around a new energy source/energy breakthrough.

Or I might be wrong about everything. I hope everyone had a great Groundhog Day, the economist's favorite holiday.

can you clarify your stance on retail and service please?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    So when people repeatedly shake their heads and mention how our grandkids will be paying for our fecklessness that's just rhetoric?

Budgets have JUST been cut for the coming year in reaction to the mess in October, those effects have not even begun to be felt yet.

Then there is the domino effect that you get in a building industry collapse, the big companies got the credit lines (other people's money) and then started their projects which involve hundreds of subcontractors who in turn hire subcontractors. These people the ones who are currently trying to recover money owed but will get fukked, not the board of XYZ skyscraper corp.

Then there are all the small and medium buinesses who have been struggling as it is (Bush fucked them for 8 years while he gave money to corps), hoping for an upturn, who have been getting deeper into debt. When that shit hits the fan, you won't see an uptick in unemployment numbers or dip in the markets, but you will see more money lost from the treasury, more vacant real estate, more people trying to make ends meet, real problems.

Don't look for any Q this or Q that recovery. The housing bubble was a manufactured bubble because we had already popped the Telecoms, Energy and Dotcom bubbles, all of which proved to have more than their fair share of scams and emperor's new clothes. Remember Enron? Worldcom? any number of dotcom follies?

I don't doubt that the Green Push or whatever can create a lot of jobs, but don't think it's going to be a "sector" or a "bubble"... there will be a million things that will need to be done that won't make a profit and can't be put out to tender for private business, the way govt likes to run things now.

In a nutshell, the race to the bottom is nearly over and we are running out of things to capitalize and monetize in order to run an economy based on virtual wealth.

And really, if people are looking at this as just another downturn, then what was the deal with all this AUDACITY OF HOPE bullshit? CHANGE is good? Or did that have as much relation to reality as a talking gecko does to car insurance?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I can see this.

Throughout the 90s and most of this decade, the rightwing British press, together with corporations like the FT and WSJ ran Op Ed after Op Ed about Germany becoming the sick man of Europe and dragging the rest of us down if it didn't immediately relax it's social safety net, centralized economy, and let entrepreneurs come in and create jobs and wealth. This was pure propaganda and did have some effect on the political climate in Germany over the past decade, but thankfully not enough. Now we are in a position where experts say that the UK will be the hardest hit economy of the developed world. That's the result of 30 years of private service sector economy, not from a lack of free markets.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    oh jesus.
    plaese to not post if you don't have a basic understanding of how economic theory operates.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    OK

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Less card pulling, more explaining in this thread, please.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Sorry I'm off to undergrad skool to learn about economics.

Turns out I was wrong. You CAN actually invoice an invoice to create cold, hard cash!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    [shameless PBS promotion] Y'all should watch Frontline: Inside The Meltdown, premiering February 17 at 9pm on PBS.[/shameless PBS promotion]

I'll be watching it next Tuesday here at work. We have a screening in our theater for employees.

The press release for anyone interested:

On Thursday, Sept. 18, 2008, the astonished leadership of the U.S. Congress was told in a private session by the chairman of the Federal Reserve that the American economy was in grave danger of a complete meltdown within a matter of days. ???There was literally a pause in that room where the oxygen left,??? says Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.).

FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk goes behind closed doors in Washington and on Wall Street to investigate how the economy went so bad so fast and why emergency actions by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson failed to prevent the worst economic crisis in a generation on Inside the Meltdown, airing Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009, at 9 P.M. ET on PBS (check local listings).

As the housing bubble burst and trillions of dollars??? worth of toxic mortgages began to go bad in 2007, fear spread through the massive firms that form the heart of Wall Street. By the spring of 2008, burdened by billions of dollars of bad mortgages, the investment bank Bear Stearns was the subject of rumors that it would soon fail.

???Rumors are such that they can just plain put you out of business,??? Bear Stearns??? former CEO Alan ???Ace??? Greenberg tells FRONTLINE.

The company???s stock had dropped from $171 to $57 a share, and it was hours from declaring bankruptcy. Ben Bernanke acted. ???It was clear that this had to be contained. There was no doubt in his mind,??? says Bernanke???s colleague economist Mark Gertler.

Bernanke, a former economics professor from Princeton, specialized in studying the Great Depression. ???He more than anybody else appreciated what would happen if it got out of control,??? Gertler explains.

To stabilize the markets, Bernanke engineered a shotgun marriage between Bear Sterns and the commercial bank JPMorgan, with a promise that the federal government would use $30 billion to cover Bear Stearns??? questionable assets tied to toxic mortgages. It was an unprecedented effort to stop the contagion of fear that seemed to be threatening the rest of Wall Street.

While publicly supportive of the deal, Secretary Paulson, a former Wall Street executive with Goldman Sachs, was uncomfortable with government interference in the markets. That summer, he issued a warning to his former colleagues not to expect future government bailouts, saying he was concerned about a legal concept known as moral hazard.

Within months, however, Paulson would witness the virtual collapse of the giant mortgage companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and preside over their takeover by the federal government.

The episode sent shockwaves through the economy as confidence in Wall Street began to evaporate. Within days, in September 2008, another investment bank, Lehman Brothers, was on the brink of collapse. Once again, there were calls for Bernanke and Paulson to bail out the Wall Street giant. But Paulson was under intense political pressure from conservative Republicans in Washington to invoke moral hazard and let the company fail.

???You had a conservative secretary of the Treasury and conservative administration. There was right-wing criticism over Bear Stearns,??? says Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

Paulson pushed Lehman???s CEO Dick Fuld to find a buyer for his ailing company. But no company would buy Lehman unless the government offered a deal similar to the one Bear Stearns had received. Paulson refused, and Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy.

FRONTLINE then chronicles the disaster that followed. Within 24 hours, the stock market crashed, and credit markets around the world froze. ???We???re no longer talking about mortgages,??? says economist Gertler. ???We???re talking about car loans, loans to small businesses, commercial paper borrowing by large banks. This is like a disease spreading.???

???I think that the secretary of the Treasury could not fully comprehend what that linkage was and the extent to which this would materialize into problems,??? says former Lehman board member Henry Kaufman.

Paulson was thunderstruck. ???This is the utter nightmare of an economic policy-maker,??? Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman tells FRONTLINE. ???You may have just made the decision that destroyed the world. Absolutely terrifying moment.???

In response, Paulson and Bernanke would propose???and Congress would eventually pass???a $700 billion bailout plan. FRONTLINE goes inside the deliberations surrounding the passage of the legislation and examines its unsuccessful implementation.

???Many Americans still don???t understand what has happened to the economy,??? FRONTLINE producer/director Michael Kirk says. ???How did it all go so bad so quickly? Who is responsible? How effective has the response from Washington and Wall Street been? Those are the questions at the heart of Inside the Meltdown.???

• When Duff fixes it...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We'll come out of this eventually. Then go back to being irrationally exuberant. Then it will bust again.

Then someone will ghost bump this thread.

Hey,

"Greed is a helluva drug."

People can concoct a million and one ways to justify spending beyond their means. Yeah sure, mortgage companies "made" people go into Adjustable-Rate Mortgage loans to buy houses they couldn't afford. Oh, if only those bad banks didn't twist their arms; yet, didn't the buyer think that if they only make $70,000 a year, they can't afford a $600,000 house. More generally, isn't it stupid to base a large portion of our economy on credit? GTFOOHWTBS!!! Hopefully, these rough economic times will teach people to be frugal and live within their means. But then again, Americans have short memories and avarice trumps reason anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It is the bankers fault. Works something like this.

"Smart" guys on wall street create financial instruments from mortgages.

They then start buying mortgages from banks who had previously held their mortgages.

In the past when a customer came in the bank was careful to only lend the customer the amount the BANK determined they could afford. But under the new arrangement the bank wasn't holding the mortgage or risk, so they loosened their lending rules.

Worse than the banks were mortgage brokers. These are the people who really pushed sub primes and targeted customers who banks would not lend to. They sold the mortgages directly to wall street.

Worse than the mortgage brokers were aggressive mortgage/loan/sharks. These people would target low income home owners. People who had gotten a home through Habitat for Humanity and other housing programs. Home owners would get daily solicitations for "low interest" loans for 110% of their homes value. If the sharks owned that debt they never would have made the loans. But "smart" guys on wall street bought the debt from them as soon as the papers were signed.

I don't know what signing was like when you bought your home. It took us a year to find financing for our home. We got our loan from mortgage broker. At signing there was a stack of papers 2" high. I started to read them. The title company clerk and brokers freaked. "Don't read those" "we will be here all day" "all it says is what we explained to you" "this is the same documents all homeowners sign". Truth is, even if I read them all they were filled with so much legal jargon, I never would have understood them.

To suggest that a first time homeowner should know more about finance than a banker is not a very sophisticated analysis of what happened or why.

BTW we paid off our mortgage in 14 years and own our home free and clear.

May guess is, and no one has been able to show me otherwise, most foreclosers are not owner occupied homes. I think most are developers, speculators, flippers... If my home were underwater it would make no difference to me. I could still live in it. But if I was building 90 homes which suddenly were worth millions less than my business model had called for... Flippers loved all the fancy mortgages that were low interest at the start and high at the end because they were going to sell their houses before the rate went up. But all the sudden their houses are worth less than they paid and they are looking at a very unfavorable long term loan rates.

Lets not blame poor people for rich peoples stupid mistakes.

• hahahahaha

• I'm thinking never.

The economy has been in the toilet since 2000. At the time I was a salesman selling security systems for new homes and in ever new sub-division I would see foreclosure signs. I would say 2 out of 20 of these home were being foreclosed on. Today it's more like 10 out of 20 are foreclosed on.

• but look what the banks just emailed me about! loooks like i'm bout to get some obama money! yall didnt get this yet?

This email was sent to you by Bank of America. To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add [email]customerservice@bankofamerica.com[/email] to your address book or safe sender list.

Bank of America
    Corporate Headquarters
    100 North Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28255

BANK OF AMERICA ONLINE NOTIFICATION

This message is to officially inform you that on Friday, February 6, 2009, we received a Telegraphic Wire Transfer of $450,090.00 from the United States Government as your compensatory grant for the current economic hardship.

Please be aware that this compensatory grant has been deposited into an escrow account at Bank of America/Alabama branch office and is available for remittance immediately.

The standard payment procedure is as follows:- The funds will be wired into any bank account of your choice by Bank of America and the time frame for delivery is 24-48 hrs.

It is mandatory that you activate the escrow account by making a one-time payment of $500.00 via the western union money transfer or money gram to enable the wire transfer function of the escrow account.

Please Note: The Escrow Account Activation Fee could not be deducted from your funds as your funds are protected by a Federal Government Premium Hardcover Insurance Policy installed to prevent any deductions from your funds.

The fee must be paid by you via the western union money transfer network or money gram to the payment secretary at branch office in Alabama.

CONTACT BANK OF AMERICA PAYMENT SECRETARY IN ALABAMA TO RETRIEVE THE INFORMATION ON HOW TO PAY THE ESCROW ACCOUNT ACTIVATION FEE IMMEDIATELY:

PAYMENT SECRETARY: Ms. Pell
    BRANCH OFFICE: 77 Crow Drive, Birmingham, AL 35201
    CONTACT E-MAIL: [email]paysecretary@gmail.com[/email]

UPON CONFIRMATION OF PAYMENT OF THE ESCROW ACCOUNT ACTIVATION FEE, YOUR FUNDS WILL BE WIRED DIRECTLY INTO ANY BANK ACCOUNT OF YOUR CHOICE AND THE TIME FRAME FOR DELIVERY IS 24-48 HRS.

The remittance procedure can only be completed through the payment secretary.

This notification is for information purposes only.

Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Bank of America

Contact us about this email
    Please do not reply to this email. If you have any questions, please contact the official in charge.

Privacy and Security
    Keeping your financial information secure is one of our most important responsibilities. For an explanation of how we manage customer information, please read our Privacy Policy. You can also learn how Bank of America keeps your personal information secure and how you can help protect yourself.

Bank of America Email, 8th Floor, 101 South Tryon St., Charlotte, NC 28255.

Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender Equal Housing Lender
    ?? 2009 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved.

• 450k is mighty stimulating if you ask me. i might even spend some. finally the gov is doing the right thing.
    $500 SENT!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    450k is mighty stimulating if you ask me. i might even spend some. finally the gov is doing the right thing.
    $500 SENT!

African Millionaire Prince Scam of 2009

And I bet lots of folks fall for it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Everyone is comparing the current economy with 1982 which is not on that chart so it is not too helpful. I doubt if we have ever seen jobs evaporate this fast.

450k is mighty stimulating if you ask me. i might even spend some. finally the gov is doing the right thing.
    $500 SENT!

African Millionaire Prince Scam of 2009

And I bet lots of folks fall for it.

Alabama Yodel Scam of 2009