Melbourne Strutters?

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Roll call for Melbourne Strutters? I'm coming over from WA in a couple of weeks to chill/dj/dig and need some good d/l spots other than the regulars (wax museum,northside). Any ideas? PM me is if it too

Comments

• PM me is if it too

yeah,okay yoda.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    ?

• Licorice Pie (High St, Prahran- Off Chapel St). I hear it's the ish!! i don't dig but my boy does (internationally too) and he swears by that place!
    Then you can go get yourself some awesome super cheap (4bucks after 6 on weeknights) gourmet pizza's and a couple pints from Lucky Coq!
    I think i told kinetic the same thing......never heard back about his trip actually, so may have been a bust!!

ahh yep, licorice pie is the other place on my hit list. i always go there because they have that awesome cat that follows you around the shop!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Licorice Pie

Northside is a must hit, they got stacks of library crates on the floor, still laced with heat for $5....

there's a second hand store on the street that trippy taco's is on which has crates... always seems to have new arrivals...

everyone tells me that licorice pie is the best but i must have been outta luck every time i have been there. never had any major finds. ahh well, we'll see how she fairs this time

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have always had a great time there, the cheapies are way under rated there too!

everyone tells me that licorice pie is the best but i must have been outta luck every time i have been there. never had any major finds. ahh well, we'll see how she fairs this time

both of the main stores in Melb (Northside and Licorice Pie) have the bargains there, you just gotta look closely and also talk to the staff (Chris @ Northside, Dave @ Licorice) for the hook ups, behind the counter isht... good luck man, I've had great luck both trips to Melbourne last year!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Licorice Pie

Northside is a must hit, they got stacks of library crates on the floor, still laced with heat for $5....

there's a second hand store on the street that trippy taco's is on which has crates... always seems to have new arrivals...

The street is Smith St, Collingwood

The shops are Dave's Boutique and The Searchers. Its a nice part of town.

When/Where are you DJing?

And whatever you do, don't sleep on Dixon's in Fitzroy, last time I went there I copped a huge bag full of heat, european records, grails, aussie stuff....

All the spots in and around the city i pretty much have on lock from the last couple of trips ie; all the smith street spots etc, but i thought there might be some good "out there" spots further out of the city. im over on the 20th and im djing at croft and the red hummingbird

It used to be dope out in Camberwell, not sure the status, but there was a store there called Antaquarian, there was another spot called CRAM and there was also a Dixon's close by...

Do you still talk to DJ Arks? He might know some spots for you....

It used to be dope out in Camberwell, not sure the status, but there was a store there called Antaquarian, there was another spot called CRAM and there was also a Dixon's close by...

Do you still talk to DJ Arks? He might know some spots for you....

CRAM has closed down. But Camberwell market on Sunday morn 7am-12pm is a worthy place to check.

is johnny idem still flogging his wares down at camberwell?

perhaps.

When I used to live out that way 2007-08 ahe'd usually be there 1 out of four times you'd visit. Its hard to say. You'd have to contact the man

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Apologies for the thread jack...but I am headed over there in April...is the Great Ocean Road worth it?

• Not too bad.....not too far out of the way so might as well. The big attraction was the 12 apostles but we lost like 5 of them or something. i don't know if you'd do it just for the drive alone- i think bells beach is that way so people usually head down there for that.....

• as of a couple months back, yes he was, but it's not every week. I believe he also sells some stuff on consignment at my local video/record store called Small Screen on Rathdowne Street in Carlton North. they've normally got a fair amount of jazz, and lots of other things as well. small screen is definitely worth a look - it's in a little bunch of shops known as rathdowne village, i believe it's 420 rathdowne street, carlton north. an address that stuck in my head.

also, if you're up in that area, it's always worthwhile checking out arkitekt records, which is 81 Lygon st, Brunswick East. it's only about 10-15 mins from the city by tram, the no. 8 (or 1?) up lygon street. these guys are super nice.

a bit further out lygon street is another record store, whose name i have never got. it just has "records" on a sign, and there's usually crates out the front if they're open. i believe they're weds-saturday. i've got a few good pieces from there over the years.

those are my local ones, but northside and licorice pie are indeed the finest establishments around town. also, apart from northside, the searchers and dave's records on smith street, there's the last record store a bit further along up near Johnson street. usually worth a look. also, cosign on dixon's, they have several stores around town - i usually check out the burke rd, camberwell and brunswick st, fitzroy stores.

hope that helps.

• sorry, i messed up my first post! my post was a reply to the guy that asked about johnny idem.

and as for the great ocean road, it's pretty good, nothing amazing. luckily it didn't get burned though, like the rest of victoria. the road is very hard to drive, like average speed is about 40 kms/hr. make sure you share the driving. last time i went down there i saw a bunch of dolphins and a really nice forest (otways).

• some more:

'hear now' is kind of exactly like the old central station. it's mostly electronic stuff but it's where i pick up theo parrish 12"s and the like. sometimes they have good disco too, but they're pretty pricey. they're at 2 somerset place, in the city. if you're there, you might as well head about 5 shops up the hill and get a coffee from brother baba budan, the equal best coffee shop in the cbd.

collector's corner is on swanston street over the road from the lounge, between little bourke and lonsdale. they have the most foot traffic of all the record stores. it's worth a look, but i'm not sure if that's only because it's really close to my work. i generally don't buy a lot from there, but they have an okay range.

f**k Hear Now records. They wouldn't stock my 12" ep haha. Musn't have been electronic enough for them. Ahh well. I usually hit up Collector's Corner and always usually find something i don't have. Can't wait to get over there...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    some more:

'hear now' is kind of exactly like the old central station.

Back in around 2002, there was a blonde lady that worked at Central Station in the city, forgot her name, she take care of the hiphop section from what i remeber. god she was beautiful.

I would travel to Melbourne just to see her again and ask her out.

She DJs in Melbourne